Just how good is a coyotes nose?

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Amen finally some agreement.. Until next time enjoy our wild America

Are you Marty Stouffer?

If you can't tell what direction the wind is blowing it is almost for sure that you will spend 100% of your field time hunting and 0% of your time shooting.

I don't buy into scent blocks and cover scents and all that stuff. Just stay down wind as best you can and hope you get a shot before they wind ya.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 223Amen finally some agreement.. Until next time enjoy our wild America

Are you Marty Stouffer?

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: wildarcherAter watching those Beef Jerky...( hope thats better ) commercials ya better leave sasquatch alone !!!

What was wrong with the original post? Was it the brand name reference?

Nate

Funny story about scent blocking spray.

My father-in-law used it for bowhunting. He sprayed himself down one morning before walking to his stand. This included the bottom of his shoes. A little later he saw a doe approaching. She was following the exact path he took to his stand. She would stop and smell everyone of his tracks. I guess in this case it worked because she didn't smell his scent and get spooked.

I can't say that scent blocking technology is all junk science, but I'll probably save my money and test the wind.

I wonder IF I wash that "ILLEGAL Drug truck " with Non scent soap , wrap it with scent loc and then sprayed it down with earth scent and walked that dog say 50 yrds away if he could still smell those drugs ... I would put my money on " NO " ... THOSE COYOTES HAVEN'T BEEN EXSTENSIVE TRAINED FOR SEVERAL YEARS ... to detect me in scent loc and spray , simply becuase every year new ones are born , that in no way has the experience ole alpha dog has , And if I kill him then his experience is down the tube ... just sayin no pun intended !!!

i saw a infomercial on some slippers you can warm in the microwave to keep your feet warm
confused.gif
it only took a second to think i should make underwear out of it
w00t.gif
then I'd never freeze my arse off again
tongue.gif
lol
i gotta generator and a extra microwave I'd have to keep in the truck
rolleyes.gif

I guess since I'm self employed I've got the money to "waste" so dont tell me I'm wrong and I won't tell you your wrong either lol and I'll still kill my shar of coyotes !

Originally Posted By: wildarcherI guess since I'm self employed I've got the money to "waste" so dont tell me I'm wrong and I won't tell you your wrong either lol and I'll still kill my shar of coyotes !

I am quite sure with scent lock and scent killer sprays you can kill lots and lots of coyotes because folks do it everyday without those things and scentlock don't keep you from killing anything.... well except your pocketbook.
There was a post on here a few months back where they showed a You Tube video where they tried to fool a hound with scentlock and of course they couldn't and it has also been dispproved on Mythbusters as well(if its on TV it's got to be true)
lol.gif
but hey if it works for ya'll then that is all good.

I found the post ....yea like I said it's a pet peeve. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2041670

Last edited:
Hounds can identify where you sat in a crowd three days earlier.

However even knowing full well the capabilities of a coyotes nose, I don't believe in using it as an absolute in discussion of kill possibilities or not.
Too many factors added to the mix. Wind, hunger, curiosity, conditioning, locale, season, disease, territory, breeding season.
I have seen coyotes stand next to me with teeth bared so close I could not shoot. Had to get up to shoot.

I used to watch ol Marty all the time, loved that show as a kid. I rememver reading about a guy that showered in scent killer wash all clothes and put on scent blocker, went out thru the woods and guess what the Blood hound found him. A blood hound can smell a corpse 20' under water. Coyotes know all the normal smells out in the woods, you are not included in normal. Deer are the same way.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Leslie Nielson had the Idea quite a few years Back in "Naked Gun" A Full Body condom! LOL I wonder if Coyotes are scared of laytex?
lol.gif

LOL ... I need one of those for my weapon !!!

Hey guys i've only got a few ounces left of the best "scent spray" money can buy!!! Price reduced to $50 an ounce.
Tim bought some for reloading and doggin bought some for a salad shooter or something???

Warning... Does not repel trolls.

I tend to agree with venatic. So much scent u cannot cover/absorb. Your eye boogers, nose boogers, ear hair, coffee breath, gun oil, truck odors, you get my point. You fellas that are sold on the scent free products,, are you switching clothes between sets? (Due to truck odors) If you are, I am impressed. I tend to make more than one set during the day and it would take some serious discipline to do that.Props if u do. I guess for the OP, this post gives the utmost respect to a Yotes nose. One other thing, just because you feel the wind on the back of your neck doesn't necessarily mean the critter was"down wind" of you. Thermals, terrain all play a roll. If your odor gets to them, they got ya,,in my area anyway. I write this only because of personal experience. I have tried everything in the book as far as scent control products go, going to every extent to prove them "worthy". When I can figure out how to not breath, and keep scent from leaving my eyeballs, I may try them again. Hmmm,,,1 particle in a million...

Back