Just how good is a coyotes nose?

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: wildarcherI don't get it ,I don't sit around mocking people for stating things that has 100% happened in their hunting trips , BUT , then again ,I could really careless what anyone has to say anyways , I am who I am and try and help people out
I don't think anyone has been mocking you, certainly not me, so there's no reason to be defensive. You are not the only one here who is trying to help people out. If you choose to believe all the hype and marketing spewed out by the companies that sell all that stuff, and you're willing to lay out the $$$ to buy it and it works for you, that's great. However, I don't agree with you, and I'm trying to let people know that it's OK NOT to spend their last dime on the latest gadget because it's not necessary. Guns, ammo and gas already cost a fortune nowadays, and new hunters shouldn't feel they have to spend ANOTHER fortune on the lastest gizmo they saw on the latest Outdoors Channel infomercials just to shoot a blamed varmit that they can't even eat. So, like you, I'M trying to help people out by giving them a different point of view, and suggesting to them that they DON'T have to break their piggy bank to kill a yote.
Originally Posted By: wildarcherI haven't seen any coyote kill pics from some people on here either...hmmmmmmmm
Nor have I seen any coyote kill pics from you, but then again I don't feel the need to cruise the forums
and keep a tally of how many kill pics everyone has posted. I have no doubt you do (or should) kill more coyotes than I do because you're in friggin' Oklahoma. I actually pay money to be able to go out a couple of times a year and hunt where you LIVE. The last time I was out there, I called more dogs in one morning than I would even see in a whole month of night hunting in Georgia.
Just a couple of things wrong here Kizmo :
1.I wasn't talking about you.
2. Didn't you respond to my post ::: ole wileys nose wasn't up to par today ? ...That picture in that post was mine.
Like I've stated before , you opinion is your opinion and that is great , my opinion is my opinion which should be great as well.It shouldn't take 5000 posts about what I have witnessed with my own eye's for somebody to try and tell me I didn't see it period , and I don't care if it was the president of the united states telling me he personally did reasearch on this and it doesnt work , becuase I did my own reasearch that I 100% know did work and has for three years. I purchased my Scent lok at the time they were getting sued, goodthing I wasn't a witness for scent lok becuase I know it works....when did your scent lok not work ? when did you buy yours ? Did you wear it like it was meant to be worn ? I can go on and on....like I have said your opinion is great , keep thinking like that,and I will keep killing those unkillable coyotes !!! PEACE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: wildarcherWiley's nose wasnt up to par today...YEP me and hunting buddy have our Scent Loc on and earth spray , pretty windy day after about 9:00 this mourning , oh these were from public ground

I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think all the Scent Loc and cover scent had anything to do with it. Mythbusters has done a lot of projects involving these things, and they don't work. See the link for their various attempts. Also see the federal court case from a couple of years ago.

I think that, in areas where humans frequent, coyotes become acclimated to human scent. There are farmers and ranchhands at my place constantly, and I've killed yotes at 60 yards straight downwind with no cover scent or scent blocker. This is likely the case with you, as you did mention you were hunting public land.
Yep you comented on it,so you seen that picture.

Originally Posted By: kylesredappleOriginally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: kylesredappleI really believe that coyotes can smell a non-resident a mile away.

I kill lots of coyotes in New Mexico, but when I go to Utah, I can't kill any. Which proves my theory 100%.

Evidently, Georgia coyotes can smell residents a mile away too. I don't know about non-residents, since NO ONE pays money to come hunt coyotes in Georgia.

Dang...now my theory is only 50% certain. Maybe the government can pay for a study about the smells of residents versus non-residents and compare regional or state results for coyote reactions...

Why not? They spend our money on everything else.

Originally Posted By: wildarcher becuase I did my own reasearch that I 100% know did work and has for three years.

If that's all it takes to convince you something "works", then I suggest you also start dipping Copenhagen. It is an excellent lure, because 100% of the time I've killed coyotes I've been dipping Copenhagen, and I've never killed one when I wasn't.

My buddy had a decent 2.5 yr old buck walk below his stand and eat his dip he spit out. I think he was chewin cherry. My pet groundhog would always come running when i had my chew can open. Id hear her chewin on the can if i left my pants on the floor. Iv thaught about putting a few empty cans out in front of a trail cam and see what happens.

In my opinion if running butt-naked thruogh the woods backwards helps you kill MORE coyotes, cats, deer, turkey, etc. then by all means, tear out! Why argue about what someone else believes works for them? If it doesn't work for you OR you don't think it will, then don't bother. It is for dang sure we do not all hunt the same way. You can not tell someone HOW to hunt. They have to go out there and figure it out for themselves when it's all said and done anyway. The best anyone can do is try to help by telling what YOU think works for YOU. After that it's up to the other person to find their own way. If you tried to help you did your part, the rest is up to the folks who want to try it your way. No harm, no foul. Good Luck to all of you, no matter how you do it!----Ben Jimmy

Widow maker 223, I wish you would and let us know what happens. I'd like to know too! I know deer love cornbread, honey buns, and all sorts of 'people' food. I've never killed a critter with a chaw, but I wouldn't grouch if I did!---Ben Jimmy

Back