Just how good is a coyotes nose?

OK I just opened my new issue of predator extreme magazine ...If any of you guys read this magazine go read the article....close quarters coyotes ... read it all the way thru m, especially the part about cover scents...the expert goes on to say..."in his own opinion" , cover scent will not fool a coyotes nose...BUT CAN BAFFLE A COYOTE LONG ENOUGH FOR THE SHOT...OK couple that with other "unproven methods" and you just might bag an extra coyote or 2 !!! just sayin.

Iv done the same deer hunting and i didnt have scent loc nothin on. My buck this year i just spit out my dip into my spit bottle, ate my peanut butter sammich. Then put a slick trick thru his lungs at 15 yds he crossed my scent cone twice. I wasnt wearing scent loc boots, just muck boots that i smoked up right before i left the truck. And i laid an estrous trail to my stand that the buck followed as did the buck before him. All the while i smelled like wood smoke from smokin my clothes. I should try smokin my clothes again and see if it helps out callin yotes.

Originally Posted By: wildarcherWhile your there check out ..." what am I doing wrong " Article...he hits the nail on the head ... "IMO"

Quite frankly, I think the #1 thing people do wrong is constantly asking themselves "What am I doing wrong?" and then blindly following the advice of the latest "guru" and wasting money on the latest useless fad.

Hunting has become a business, and the hunting business is a lot like the news business. If there's nothing new worth selling, you just have to make [beeeep] up.

Last edited:
I've probably posted this before, but my camo coveralls are what I used to wear when burning my leaves in the Fall and it wasn't uncommon for me to roll in the dust or ashes, as well as some old cow droppings in a pasture, before going hunting...

Don't know that is was an "acceptable" way to knock down my human scent, but I always figured it didn't hurt either...

I know it didn't make me look any prettier, but then, I've never been a beauty contestant in my life time..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI've probably posted this before, but my camo coveralls are what I used to wear when burning my leaves in the Fall and it wasn't uncommon for me to roll in the dust or ashes, as well as some old cow droppings in a pasture, before going hunting...

Don't know that is was an "acceptable" way to knock down my human scent, but I always figured it didn't hurt either...

I know it didn't make me look any prettier, but then, I've never been a beauty contestant in my life time..
LOL ....Old Turtle , I bet you still killed them coyotes too , I sure aren't going to tell you that you didn't ...you wear those smoked up coveralls down here in oklahoma in march you will blend right in on thses cattle ranches when they are lit on fire !!!

I heard that there was a company that come out with a product that would fool a blood hound's nose...dept of homeland defense yanked the product off the market.

I and brother had fooled a coyotes and deer's nose many times. I have been hunting coyotes since the mid 70's, know the difference.

With no preperation, I have had them smell my tracks from 50'away from the trail I have walked in on. I have seen them smell our scent night hunting so many times at 250 yards, no way to count.

One thing for sure, some coyotes smell better than others. Like humans, some have a very senisitive nose, while others are just so so.

I pay careful attention to my boots when I am walking away from the truck making stands. I use a seperate pair of boots that has not been worn while pumping gas in my truck.

While deer hunting in Kansas a few years ago on the dried up Arkansas river bed, we had coyotes come in on several occasions, they were in groups of 3,4,5's. They walked down our trail that we walked in on, and of all the bunch, only one little female smelled my track and she was very alarmed. She went off into the bushes, while the others milled around smelling the scent, Unalrmed they continued down the trail(I was deer hunting, not coyote hunting). If I had not used my boots that I put on after I get out of the truck, I would have had all the yotes spook off and start barking the alarm.

I have seen coyotes do this on other occasions in Mexico where they sometimes traveled on larger family units. I am a huge believer in Sardines as a attractant, if your state law will allow it. The Sardine smell is very heavy and travels the wind a long way. Parts per million of the Sardine scent is much higher than the human scent, and coyotes love the smell of fish oil(I put two cans of sardines in a Sock and hang from a tree limb about 10' away from me). You get a lot of hard chargers and jacked up coyotes when using sardines.

A sardine drag is very effective, just pick up the drag in an area where see to get a good clean shot. I made the mistake for a year of rubbing a sardine sock on the bottom of my boots, I shot a lot of animal within 5', but you take the risk of an animal seeing the very slightest movement you make and spooking off using ever speck of cover for their defense.

Coyotes love to walk with their noses into the wind, they can pick up the scent of the predator that is eating alive what ever call you are blowing. They want to know if they are going to have to tangle with the Dominant coyote or a coyote that is from another pack. Also, as an animal is being killed, it urinates on itself identifying what the prey is.

I always sit my stand up where I can see down wind, but in thick areas, it is just impossible...you get busted many, many times and never know it.

I don't get it ,I don't sit around mocking people for stating things that has 100% happened in their hunting trips , BUT , then again ,I could really careless what anyone has to say anyways , I am who I am and try and help people out , but hey you can lead a donkey to water BUT you sure cant make him drink , and it is alot easier to drag a log chain than it is to push it. I use to dip and smoke on stand as well , but I didn't kill any pope & young bucks while doing it either , I do pretty much tagout year after year now thought ... 2 antlered deer and 6 doe , which isnt that easy to do either , and I hold myself to 8 point or bigger on my antlered deer.LOL...and I haven't seen any coyote kill pics from some people on here either...hmmmmmmmm

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI heard that there was a company that come out with a product that would fool a blood hound's nose...dept of homeland defense yanked the product off the market.

I and brother had fooled a coyotes and deer's nose many times. I have been hunting coyotes since the mid 70's, know the difference.

With no preperation, I have had them smell my tracks from 50'away from the trail I have walked in on. I have seen them smell our scent night hunting so many times at 250 yards, no way to count.

One thing for sure, some coyotes smell better than others. Like humans, some have a very senisitive nose, while others are just so so.

I pay careful attention to my boots when I am walking away from the truck making stands. I use a seperate pair of boots that has not been worn while pumping gas in my truck.

While deer hunting in Kansas a few years ago on the dried up Arkansas river bed, we had coyotes come in on several occasions, they were in groups of 3,4,5's. They walked down our trail that we walked in on, and of all the bunch, only one little female smelled my track and she was very alarmed. She went off into the bushes, while the others milled around smelling the scent, Unalrmed they continued down the trail(I was deer hunting, not coyote hunting). If I had not used my boots that I put on after I get out of the truck, I would have had all the yotes spook off and start barking the alarm.

I have seen coyotes do this on other occasions in Mexico where they sometimes traveled on larger family units. I am a huge believer in Sardines as a attractant, if your state law will allow it. The Sardine smell is very heavy and travels the wind a long way. Parts per million of the Sardine scent is much higher than the human scent, and coyotes love the smell of fish oil(I put two cans of sardines in a Sock and hang from a tree limb about 10' away from me). You get a lot of hard chargers and jacked up coyotes when using sardines.

A sardine drag is very effective, just pick up the drag in an area where see to get a good clean shot. I made the mistake for a year of rubbing a sardine sock on the bottom of my boots, I shot a lot of animal within 5', but you take the risk of an animal seeing the very slightest movement you make and spooking off using ever speck of cover for their defense.

Coyotes love to walk with their noses into the wind, they can pick up the scent of the predator that is eating alive what ever call you are blowing. They want to know if they are going to have to tangle with the Dominant coyote or a coyote that is from another pack. Also, as an animal is being killed, it urinates on itself identifying what the prey is.

I always sit my stand up where I can see down wind, but in thick areas, it is just impossible...you get busted many, many times and never know it.
Thanks Man ...very good to see some people try and actually do everything to stay a step ahead...sure doesnt hurt to fool even a couple of coyotes , I know your not going to fool them all but even 1 fooled coyote puts a smile on my face , and think to myself ,the experts even get it wrong .

Originally Posted By: wildarcherI don't get it ,I don't sit around mocking people for stating things that has 100% happened in their hunting trips , BUT , then again ,I could really careless what anyone has to say anyways , I am who I am and try and help people out
I don't think anyone has been mocking you, certainly not me, so there's no reason to be defensive. You are not the only one here who is trying to help people out. If you choose to believe all the hype and marketing spewed out by the companies that sell all that stuff, and you're willing to lay out the $$$ to buy it and it works for you, that's great. However, I don't agree with you, and I'm trying to let people know that it's OK NOT to spend their last dime on the latest gadget because it's not necessary. Guns, ammo and gas already cost a fortune nowadays, and new hunters shouldn't feel they have to spend ANOTHER fortune on the lastest gizmo they saw on the latest Outdoors Channel infomercials just to shoot a blamed varmit that they can't even eat. So, like you, I'M trying to help people out by giving them a different point of view, and suggesting to them that they DON'T have to break their piggy bank to kill a yote.
Originally Posted By: wildarcherI haven't seen any coyote kill pics from some people on here either...hmmmmmmmm
Nor have I seen any coyote kill pics from you, but then again I don't feel the need to cruise the forums and keep a tally of how many kill pics everyone has posted. I have no doubt you do (or should) kill more coyotes than I do because you're in friggin' Oklahoma. I actually pay money to be able to go out a couple of times a year and hunt where you LIVE. The last time I was out there, I called more dogs in one morning than I would even see in a whole month of night hunting in Georgia.

Last edited:
I really believe that coyotes can smell a non-resident a mile away.

I kill lots of coyotes in New Mexico, but when I go to Utah, I can't kill any. Which proves my theory 100%.

Originally Posted By: kylesredappleI really believe that coyotes can smell a non-resident a mile away.

I kill lots of coyotes in New Mexico, but when I go to Utah, I can't kill any. Which proves my theory 100%.

Evidently, Georgia coyotes can smell residents a mile away too. I don't know about non-residents, since NO ONE pays money to come hunt coyotes in Georgia.

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: kylesredappleI really believe that coyotes can smell a non-resident a mile away.

Evidently, Georgia coyotes can smell residents a mile away too. I don't know about non-residents, since NO ONE pays money to come hunt coyotes in Georgia.

Dang...now my theory is only 50% certain. Maybe the government can pay for a study about the smells of residents versus non-residents and compare regional or state results for coyote reactions...

Originally Posted By: kylesredappleI am working on a new pancacke syrup coverscent. I hope coyotes like pancake syrup, otherwise I'll just be fat for nothing.

LOL... smiling. Oh btw, need any help field testing or a new pro staffer for your product? I like maple/butter!

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: kylesredappleI am working on a new pancake syrup coverscent. I hope coyotes like pancake syrup, otherwise I'll just be fat for nothing.

LOL... smiling. Oh btw, need any help field testing or a new pro staffer for your product? I like maple/butter!

Definant possibility there bud, my wife made loganberry jam, now i wanna make loganberry syrup, the maple/butter recipe is in the early stages.

Originally Posted By: kylesredappleI am working on a new pancacke syrup coverscent. I hope coyotes like pancake syrup, otherwise I'll just be fat for nothing.

IMG_1094.jpg

Yep AJ works...lol

Stay after them
Kelly

Originally Posted By: CAT DADDY COLDOriginally Posted By: kylesredappleI am working on a new pancacke syrup coverscent. I hope coyotes like pancake syrup, otherwise I'll just be fat for nothing.

IMG_1094.jpg

Yep AJ works...lol

Stay after them
Kelly

Hey Kelly!!!

I just knew I was on to something with the syrup!!!

good to see a pic of your skills CAT DADDY

Back