Just how good is a coyotes nose?

Originally Posted By: REID2168its threads like this that remind me of the jet ski forum i belong to and how a guy in California thinks he can tell a guy in Ohio what fuel pressure he needs to get the correct A/F ratio for his 350+ HP 4-tec race motor without monitoring the A/F just because the guy in Cali runs his that way........

completely ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!

basically everyone doesnt have decoy dogs or 1,000,000,000+ acres to call or live in Texas or Oklahoma or anywhere else out west for that matter...some people hunt on 40 acres and want a smaller to try and create a smaller scent cone and cant go out calling in their trucks and smoke between stands and anything else others think is ok because they know somebody with all the above that can get away with all that.......

maybe if some guys wanna discuss not wearing cologne on the exterior of their work or dinner clothes so it doesnt get on their seat belts in their trucks and then their hunting clothes two days later or maybe once hunting season starts they might wanna wash all their clothes in scent away until hunting is over ILO of going back and forth with regular detergent or put scent away washed towels on their seats when they go hunting so their butts dont smell like the fast food they ate they day before in their truck between sales calls.........

my point is just because certain people dont wanna talk about it and can get away without trying what they can doesnt mean people have to shut they thread down with.........waste of time been their done that just get the wind right.........well with limited acreage getting the #$&^&#*($ wind right isnt always an option........

do i believe you can fool a coyotes nose.......NEVER.....do i believe there are things i can do to reduce the distance between me and him by reducing my scent cone and that i dont have to go into the woods smelling like EVERYTHING I OWN OR TOUCHED THAT WEEK........yes i do.......maybe just maybe guys that dont wanna talk about certain things should just let other guys that wanna discuss some things like this try discussing it for themselves........to each his own!!!!!!!!

REDNECK REID

p.s. anybody wants to FLAME ME i got more.........PERIOD!!!

p.s.s. this TRULY isnt directed at anyone i just had to use this thread as an example of what happens a LOT here................ and thats...............

just because i DONT do it YOU shouldnt either........

and thats not what forums are about if you ask me. this could be AR's against bolt action............e-callers against hand calls.......you name it its just an example of threads getting killed when maybe they shouldnt.

Just curious how ya measure your "perceived" scent cone?

Reid, I simply stated what I have learned over the years. I'm in no way trying to shut down a thread. I punished myself doing the "scent free" thing and I'm simply sharing my experience. And just so you know, I hunt plenty of lots that are 40 acres or less. I do have access to a lot of land and I do now have a decoy dog. I killed 87 coyotes in 2011 without a dog. If you have a scent free regimine that works for you, by all means use it.

u ever think of the guys that own a FORD have pondered and the same guys like me that usually put stuff in the topless beds put it right behind the drivers side cab out of convenience........i do.........well get your hunting clothes on the step out of the truck and on a FORD lean up against where u fill your truck up with gas and take that into the woods with you.........all i was getting at is there are ways if u think to help not smelling like EVERYTHING...........are u still getting busted in the wrong wind no matter what....... YESSSSSSS...........can you MAYBE do a couple COMMOM SENSE things to help........YESSSSSSS.........all i wanted to do was maybe have the chance to discuss some of that..........no more no less.............its easy to not think of leaning against your truck wher u put gas in...........took me a minute to realize it and stop........that and just other simple stupid stuff............im a smart guy and i know others here are smart as well and we cant learn if fron one another if we dont discuss.........thats all........sorry guys for all the BS!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

REDNECK REID

Explain to me what I said that was inappropriate. I stated my views and opinions. Never condemened anyone for what they do or don't do.

I stick to what I have personally done on more than one occassion ... while hunting on the ground and in trees for deer , I have killed over 10 coyotes with my BOW and Rage broadheads , MY LONGEST SHOT has been 30 yrds from the ground ... most are 20 or less from the tree , and yes they have crossed my trail that I walked in on ...most I have lip squeaked into range...and most of them came from down wind ...SERIOUSLY !!!

I have Deer hunted in the MOST sought after Deer hunt in Oklahoma...MCAAP Traditional Archery Hunt in McAlester OK... Those deer have had the book thrown at them forever ...I could only find a tree that I could get less than 10 feet up in to hunt ...I had buck deer standing 5 ft. from me and never ...never knew I was there , I shot one Doe with 2 bucks ,hit her in the neck , dropped her in her tracks and those 2 bucks a seven point and SMALL eight point walk circles around my tree watching the Doe die ... the wind hitting them in the face , I could step out of the tree onto their backs ...The first 2 Doe came from down wind Stood on a mock scrap I made under mty tree at 5ft. And didn't have a clue I was sitting there , until I shot over there back then they only went 30 yrds and stood there looking around , I hit the big one with the recurve but never found her ... I'm telling ya Scent loc and earth scent spray has put coyotes and Deer in my lap...of course I still try and hunt the wind but when they do come from the wrong direction they still die at close range !!!

all i got to say is "SHOOTUM 4 THEY GET YOUR WIND"
thought that was the main thought when setting up a stand.
just like deer hunting if the winds not right find a angle that it is.
no worries about its nose If you kill it before he can use it.
just noticed i had a PM anniversary too. its the 10TH

Last edited:
im done arguing with you guys.......u win........no wonder people dont stay.........your way or the highway.......got it!!!!!! guys i can read and learn just as much without making my own comments and then having to argue to defend my point and evryone else can say whatever they want to others........like....... take up sewing since u cant read the wind......WOW thats being nice and helping people.......and then get away with it.........and i make my statement with good points and get what im getting......no thanks......PERIOD!!!!!

REDNECK REID

Not to throw more fuel on the fire, and I could be wrong on this, but I don't think anything out of a bottle will alter the size of your scent cone. The size of the scent cone is a matter wind and terrain. Trying to change or diminish the smell within that cone won't alter it's size or shape.

Nate

WAIT UP REDNECK REID! Don't be done just yet.

Maybe you can politely help the gentleman with the question of the day.

Originally Posted By: Whitetail Hunterwhat if you can't tell the wind direction?

I'd take a stab at it, but I have no idea. It's a real head scratcher. HELP.

Somewhere in this mess I got the feeling Whitetail Hunter was sittin back reading and laughing his azz off while sipping on a cold one.

And if that's the case, he's good. Real GOOD.
smile.gif

I read a University research paper back in the 90's and really don't remember much of the details any more except the final numbers. Their conclusions for deer: they smell 5000 times better than a human. Coyotes smell 9000 times better than we do, which would open up a world we really couldn't even imagine.

Didn't I mention that the coyote was very smart. Actually he is looking smarter all the time. Probably wouldn't stick his nose in this cat fight or is it a dog fight.

That seemed to go well,......thank God nobody was foolish enough to make a nose comparison with the sasquatch,..coulda got ugly in a hurry.
rolleyes.gif

A skunk ape in Florida can tell what a coyote in Alberta ate just from a fart in the wind. It's ridiculous. Even Chuck Norris can't smell as well as a sasquatch.

Nate

Originally Posted By: BorderdogA skunk ape in Florida can tell what a coyote in Alberta ate just from a fart in the wind. It's ridiculous. Even Chuck Norris can't smell as well as a sasquatch.

Nate

lol.gif
Chuck Norris in 1984, or Chuck Norris 2012?

Last edited:
When I come home from hunting with the scent loc on and the earth scent my own Dogs wont let me in the yard ... after I take it off and bag it back up all is well ...maybe some of the non believers are the ones I see wearing their scent loc in cafe's and gas stations before they go hunting , or they are to lazy to take it off from hunting spot to hunting spot ... it only helps conceal human odor , but will still smell like a cafe if worn into one !!!

I know that a Coyote can smell us from very far away....and as mentioned probably much better than a Deer so its best to play the wind when Hunting them and No matter what anyone tells me....I'm going to better my odds by washing my Hunting Clothes in scent-free detergent,spray down with scent-killer spray,wear rubber boots and spray them down also...I also wash/shower in scent-free soap before I go outside and dress into my Hunting Clothes/Gear.

Heck...I'd pee on a spark plug if it would help me kill a Coyote?...can I say that here and not get in trouble?
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GTOHunterI know that a Coyote can smell us from very far away....and as mentioned probably much better than a Deer so its best to play the wind when Hunting them and No matter what anyone tells me....I'm going to better my odds by washing my Hunting Clothes in scent-free detergent,spray down with scent-killer spray,wear rubber bootsand spray them down also...I also wash in scent-free soap before I go outside and dress into my Hunting Clothes/Gear.

Heck...I'd pee on a spark plug if it would help me kill a Coyote?...can I say that here and not get in trouble?
laugh.gif
wink.gif
I'm with ya GTOHUNTER...I do all of what you say too ... and still hunt the wind , but that couple of backdoor yotes that everyone gets usually ends up dying when I'm hunting...kinda keep track of the yotes you kill coming from downwind and let me know what you have experienced if you dont mind , I killed one yesterday after getting off my 4 wheeler approx 90 yrds from 2 of them and lip sqeaking as i parralled them in dense cover until they broke out on a prairie hill , I shot him at about 125 yrds with a 22 mag. I sure wasnt expecting that to happen but it did.I bet all the BIG Boys would of lost a bunch of money on that one , I know I would of and I'm sure not a pro yote hunter !!!

I'm usually Coyote Hunting with my Partner,where ever we go to Hunt he checks the wind...then we decide where to set up and Hunt,He pretty well always goes up-wind and I set down-wind 100-200 yards away or better at times....when He's calling the Coyotes I'm usually quiet and watch around me and towards where he's calling from.....several times the Coyotes are circling around down from him...they are any where from 100-300 yards away and I catch them either slipping in or circling around to smell whats making the noise?

Some times we get lucky and have had Coyotes run right up to us but again the timing was right and wind was in our favor like a good cross-wind.

I'm not here to stir any pots...I take EVERYONE's opinion to heart,filter thru what I feel works for me in my area and part of the Country,I take the terrain into consideration,whats going on in each area,are there Cows,Horses,Pasture what kind of Hunting pressure has been there?

In other words what works for someone in Open Plains or Texas may not work for the rolling Hills in Missouri but if I can learn something from Someone here that will better my chances to shoot a Predator/Varmint I'm going to use it and be "Thankful" for someone sharing their Knowledge!

All in all we're here to help each other be better at Predator Hunting!

Last edited:
I'm not here to stir the pot either ... I do comment on what I know to be a fact however , I don't want to have anyone thinking I'm trying to pick on them , not my objective ... I have killed alot of my coyotes since purchasing my scent loc suit ... but if if everyone thinks differently so be it !!!

Back