Just how good is a coyotes nose?

You guys bring a smile to my face.
smile.gif

Drug dogs can smell drugs hidden in plastic bags inside large containers of gasoline but yet you can spray a little baking powder on you and now a coyote can't make you out. I have watched a 15 year old bird dog with a dead quail in it's mouth point another live bird from 30yds away but if you put on a special jacket and pants a coyote can't smell you. I assume you have scentlock for your gun too. Make sure you keep your ears plugged I have heard they can smell earwax over a mile.
While I will never be convinced it does work I am just as certain that no one who believes it will work can be convinced otherwise.... and that is a good thing because someone has to keep our economy going by buying that stuff.
Thanks for doing your part.
thumbup.gif

Sorry just a personal pet peeve because I had a friend who did research in this field who passed away and I hope no one is offended but it is my opinion right or wrong.

Do what you believe works for YOU! I'll try to minimize (NOT block) my smell by filling up with gas the day before, and more common sense things, BUT will continue to watch my down-wind.
Good hunting
Mark

You cannot fools a coyotes nose!

Play the wind and crack em before they get downwind.

Also - If a coyote is so smart ? wouldnt They be hunting us??

Ive got 2 gallons of "scent spray" for sale... Who's in?
$100 an once.
Sorry Tim... It says on the back label, will not keep trolls from trolling.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
BTW... Don't spray it on your gun powder, either....It don't work to well...
laugh.gif

Ooooh .... Thats why...

Originally Posted By: BeluebowJust curious how ya measure your "perceived" scent cone?

you gotta buy the "Super Deluxe Hand Carved Rechargeable Retractable Camo-Colored Scent Blocked Scent Cone Measurer" at the low low price of $179.99.

shipping & handling extra...
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: wildarcherI have killed alot of my coyotes since purchasing my scent loc suit ... but if if everyone thinks differently so be it !!!

I'd like to ask a sincere serious question:

How do you conceal the smell of your gun (solvents, oils, human scent on it from handling it).

I'm not even sure if gun oils/solvents would spook a yote, but the scent-loc believers evidently think that every micron of odor needs to be concealed.

just wonderin..

Hello gunners, Auwsome discussions here and on this thread. thats what this forum is all about. YES, you can say anything you want. Thats how people do learn, and get to be better hunters. Nothing here is set in stone. I hope this forum gets many, many, many, new people on here. Keep on threading on...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2153

you gotta buy the "Super Deluxe Hand Carved Rechargeable Retractable Camo-Colored Scent Blocked Scent Cone Measurer" at the low low price of $179.99.

shipping & handling extra...
w00t.gif

The name is entirely to long to market effectively.

Get the name shortened up and package it with a wind direction gizmo. Include a bonus salad shooter and you'll sell millions!

I'd buy one just to get the salad shooter. My wife would love that thing.

my brother is a chemist for the state of oklahoma. just for giggles the did a test on scent lock clothing. they measured the amount of carbon in the clothing when it was new and it did have a good amount inbedded in them. after washing it the way it said to 5 times, they as chemists, couldnt find a trace of carbon. so, they used the carbon reactivator on it and got some carbon back from the tests, but was very minimal. washed it 1 more time after "recharging" it and nothig!!! that tells me right there why they have a lawsuit on their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of laws,

Looks like today is jglynn's one year anniversary of being a predator hunter.

2011 KILL STATS (official)

COYOTES - 89

FOX - 12

BOBCAT -14

Those kinda numbers in a guys first year outta be against the law.
smile.gif

Think the scent lok is bs too. I read that it takes 600 degrees to recharge the carbon, how hot does your dryer get??? From the minute its made its starts absorbing. I started smoking my clothes this year and it works. Had many deer down wind, they smelled the smoke but didnt run off. Smoke kills bacteria too. The buck i ran a slick trick thru was 5-1/2 years old and dressed out at 210lbs. He crossed my wind at 20yds. You can never get rid off all your smell just mask it. The indians have been smokin up for years. Now to yotes thats a different story, i dont have to get as close, so i dont do anything but watch the wind.

So my grandpa told me this story years ago, hes gone now. He had a pet coyote (i vaguely remember) and it was cagey but acted pretty much normal around him. They were out walkin once and the female coyote stopped, ran up ontop of a hill approx 200yds away and came back with a dead dried up mouse.

I pretty much hunt by Titus' Rule...."Make 'em show themselves if they want the downwind." Of course that insinuates that you must position yourself to see the downwind.

Flame on, brothers....
smile.gif

Back