Just how good is a coyotes nose?

this is a huge debate among trappers to and i gets perdy interesting to listen in on. im not a scent control guy i do feel is is impossible to hide human as well as foreighn odors. odors from the pickup from the household when you go fuel up at the gas station you walk right thru fuel and what ever else is on the ground there. rubber wax farts breath food al has odors not to mention billiosn of skin particles we shed daily there is no product on any market that will eliminate human or foreihn odors that we carry on us i dont even beleive you can lock it in. just something to consider

chilson ... where I come from a coyote will come into contact pretty much daily with human scent with that being said the real question becomes how much human scent will a coyote be willing to tolerate at any given time ...if the scent loc and earth scent makes you smell like a two day old trespasser into his territory , your chances on bagging him just went up ... but if it is a full blown human odor ,you probably won't even know he was in the area...If I'm hunting with a northwind and can approach an area on my furtherset south boundary but there is another 3000 acres to the south that I can't hunt , I'm going to slide in there place my caller and be as scent free as I can , move back out and be looking for a coyote or 3 to be coming from that southern 3000 acres but will still be looking for 3 more coming from the north to circle my caller...that is where I'm coming from,and it has happened exactly like that on more than 1 occasion , sure he might catch a sniff or 2 or he might just be 100 yrds out heading into the wind and the scent loc be just enough to see him before he smells me.

i tend to agree with ya somewhat but the odor is still there not to say coyotes are not shy of human odor but like you said they come into contact with it daily nd yes the question is how much will they tolerate and how do they associate the odor? i tend to beleive experiences as in an educated coyote or a dominant compared to a young pup will differ as well as coyotes who live well into there adult years and have no negtive interation with calling will differ and alot of the time determines the outcome i have seen that calling trapping and even snareing i have also seem coyotes who were thaught to be educated beyond capture or death fall for simple things young pups are young 18 dumb and bulletproof they make mistakes mabe the success of scent control methads do help i dont beleive that is for me to judge theres alot more educated and experienced folks in this field but i tend to beleive the money spent on such products would better suit my fuel tank and the miles neccasary to call or trap. studies have determined that human odors to canines can be somewhat offensive pungent i dunno how they confirm this but it holds a little merit. i have seen tony nd others of his calibor in both the adc end of this and the recreational be succesful callers and smoke between stands they play the wind i have smoked cigrettes putting in sets and have caught coyotes the next day and on one ocasion a few hours later ( i forgot a tool next to another set and had to return) i have also seen coyotes so dang leary of human odor that they would watch circle and stnd back from a set for several days before they thaught it was safe to approach i guess i beleive it depends on the coyote i guess that has lead me to the beleif that time money etc can be geard more to the active part of this then the parts that are largely un proven.

This has been one good thread.
rolleyes.gif

Haven't read every post but I can tell you Scent Loc has probably saved me hundreds of dollars from when they first came out. (15 years ago?) Just bought a new one last year and saved the old one for when my daughter deer hunts with me. Yea, it still works, just thought that after that long it might quit working. 2 weeks ago I had a 9 point 25 yards downwind for over 5 minutes, looking at a decoy I had put out. Then he walked toward me and into the woods.(was in a ground blind) Since day one I have seen more deer up close and right on my walk in trail that didn't have a clue. I tell people it's almost unfair. I've washed the old one maybe 4 or 5 times since new, only if muddy and then only in water. It hasn't faded at all since it rarely gets washed. Sometimes where it duck hunting only because it's the only camo I own, not for the scent control. Keep it in an airtight bag and boots aren't worn either, until I get out of the truck. It works, but you gotta do it right. Don't know if it will fool coyotes, but it's gotta help. But you gotta where the gloves and head cover also. I rarely use camo for squirrel, just wear dark clothing so the scent loc probably cost me about $10 a year and now my daughter is using it.

Ive been hunting with a newbie whose an avid bowhunter and he brings his cover scents along as a test sample for my curiosity and they still smell us. If they get downwind its amazing how you can tell "oh no their gonna hit my scent"and "oh crud they just hit my scent" almost happen simultaneously.

Yet Ive changed the cards and batteries on my game cameras in street clothes spitting chewing tobaccoo around the tree its tethered to and catch a coyote on the game cam not 30 minutes after I leave... its like they know

Tyler, I was just referring to Scent loc clothing. I've never tried any of the cover up scents or spray on scent eliminators. I don't see how you could spray every part of you that needed spraying.

I dont either it was more to humor the silly deer hunter lol. figured what could it hurt. I wear scent control camo but more because its quiet and comfortable

Actually research shows that the sprays both scent killing and the cover scents do to some degree work.While they will eliminate odor and cover scents will cover your scent somewhat its pretty hard to fool a coyotes completely. There is no research that shows scent-loc works at all and it is all hype and marketing IMO but if you like it there is no reason not to use it, I just refuse to pay extra for something that has been proven ineffective.

Wiley's nose wasnt up to par today...YEP me and hunting buddy have our Scent Loc on and earth spray , pretty windy day after about 9:00 this mourning , oh these were from public ground

01151295174300-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223How many of them were takin from directly downwind.
One at 30 yrds... 3 1/2 inch mag...at a full run doing the spring buck act , looking for that rabbit.He came across the wind path not Directly from down wind wind was blowing to n.e. he came in north of me from the east caller was west of me about 70 yrds.

Last edited:
Mark Zepp tells in one of his video's about seeing coon dogs get sprayed in the face by a skunk, then minutes later strick a red-hot coon trail.
You got a cover scent that's more potent than that!
Play the wind.
Play the wind.
Or,

or...

Stay Home !
wink.gif

Yeah here in oklahoma , I've had rag weed affect my Bird dogs nose I might as well be put back into the truck...they couldnt find a dead bird let alone a live on...moral to the story ,is I've seen it with my own eyes not what I've heard or read ...I also know for a fact a heavy frost will also affect a dog's nose , as well as water , why is it Deer like to bed close to water ? So they can escape Wolves,coyotes,mountainlion,Bobcats,and domestic Dogs,they use the water for escape ...saw on wildamerica a fawn run into the water with only his nose sticking out to avoid a coyote ...AND IT WORKED !!! BET HE IS GLAD HE DIDN'T STAY HOME. You guys aren't going to convince me becuase I've seen it with my own eyes....PERIOD !!!

Originally Posted By: wildarcherWiley's nose wasnt up to par today...YEP me and hunting buddy have our Scent Loc on and earth spray , pretty windy day after about 9:00 this mourning , oh these were from public ground

I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think all the Scent Loc and cover scent had anything to do with it. Mythbusters has done a lot of projects involving these things, and they don't work. See the link for their various attempts. Also see the federal court case from a couple of years ago.

I think that, in areas where humans frequent, coyotes become acclimated to human scent. There are farmers and ranchhands at my place constantly, and I've killed yotes at 60 yards straight downwind with no cover scent or scent blocker. This is likely the case with you, as you did mention you were hunting public land.

Last edited:
I do not do anything special with clothes or gear to keep them scent free.Other than use some common sense on not contaminating my hunting clothes with unwanted scents.(( In Oregon there aint no worry about the gas thing as we can not pump our own fuel.
thumbup.gif
))

I let the wind and terrain and brush dictate how and where I setup for a stand.

I am a Fan of Randy Andersen's videos and with as many people he has on some stands if he is not using the wind to their advantage he would not be getting any kills.

The way I see it is if you believe that scent blocking clothes or sprays help you call in yotes then use it. If you don't, don't use them..

DAB

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: wildarcherWiley's nose wasnt up to par today...YEP me and hunting buddy have our Scent Loc on and earth spray , pretty windy day after about 9:00 this mourning , oh these were from public ground

I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think all the Scent Loc and cover scent had anything to do with it. Mythbusters has done a lot of projects involving these things, and they don't work. See the link for their various attempts. Also see the federal court case from a couple of years ago.

I think that, in areas where humans frequent, coyotes become acclimated to human scent. There are farmers and ranchhands at my place constantly, and I've killed yotes at 60 yards straight downwind with no cover scent or scent blocker. This is likely the case with you, as you did mention you were hunting public land.
OK ... I guess I'm going to have to start filming my deer and coyote hunts , like I have said before I hunt the wind... I also don't sit on top of my caller and dont purposely hunt with the wind blowing the wrong way , BUT , your still going to have those few animals that come in from the wrong way and so far in three years,I have not had a single deer blow at me regardless how close he was to me...(mythbusters or not)...I have killed atleast 11 coyotes that have crossed my scent path as close as 15 yrds,both bowhunting from a tree and from the ground,I have killed 6 Bobcats with my Bow as well also from the ground and tree , I would like to see the look on MYTHBUSTERS CREWS FACE , at those killings.yeah I know you will tell yourself ,he lying...ok thats fine but dont tell me I haven't witnessed this , becuase I have and my hunting buddy has too...as for himself and I well we do believe... INFACT WE DID IT AGAIN LAST SUNDAY !!! Peace.

Back