Just how good is a coyotes nose?

Then take up golf... you need to be able to read wind to know where to aim/ what adjustments to make for the shot as well.

If you can't tell wind direction, a different hobby is in order

Just had one of the top people on canine in the US and two things he said that stood out. No.1 the coyote has the best nose of all the other dogs--fox-coyote -wolf. No.2 Mr. coyote is the smartest of all. They have the ability to learn and comprehend above all the others hands down. So if you are wondering why you are having problems fooling them, they ain't dumb. One thing going for us is they haven't learn to smell up wind yet.

Originally Posted By: Whitetail Hunterwhat if you can't tell the wind direction?

scared.gif

i will put it like this...... you walk in after work and smell your wife baking a cake in the kitchen. all you can tell is that it is a cake and it smells good. a coyote can smell that cake but instead of smelling "cake", he smells the 30 different ingredients that make up that cake and can distinguish between them. thats the best way i can describe it.

try to set with a cross wind so you can see downwind of the call. your opening to shoot should be downwind of the call as many times as you can get setup that way.

I shower with scent eliminater, use no scent deoderant, wash my clothes in scent free stuff, pour fox urine all over to the point I almost barf, and even try breathing at a minimum and always make sure its out my nose and I still get winded.

Playing the wind is the best option. I think the only other thing is to put your clothes in a bag of dead rabbits so you smell like food.

Originally Posted By: LFPI shower with scent eliminater, use no scent deoderant, wash my clothes in scent free stuff, pour fox urine all over to the point I almost barf, and even try breathing at a minimum and always make sure its out my nose and I still get winded.

Playing the wind is the best option. I think the only other thing is to put your clothes in a bag of dead rabbits so you smell like food.

They will still smell you. I used to do everything you listed minus the urine and I stopped. Still kill the same amount and spend a lot less $ and time washing clothes. Still do it for deer hunting. My hunt with Tony Tebbe changed my ways. He smokes between stand and he kills more coyotes than anyone I know because he knows how to set up and play wind. I hunt when it's 110 deg out and sweat like crazy and kill more coyotes in the summer than any other time. No way any type of scent control works when you're drenched with sweat.

its threads like this that remind me of the jet ski forum i belong to and how a guy in California thinks he can tell a guy in Ohio what fuel pressure he needs to get the correct A/F ratio for his 350+ HP 4-tec race motor without monitoring the A/F just because the guy in Cali runs his that way........

completely ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!

basically everyone doesnt have decoy dogs or 1,000,000,000+ acres to call or live in Texas or Oklahoma or anywhere else out west for that matter...some people hunt on 40 acres and want a smaller to try and create a smaller scent cone and cant go out calling in their trucks and smoke between stands and anything else others think is ok because they know somebody with all the above that can get away with all that.......

maybe if some guys wanna discuss not wearing cologne on the exterior of their work or dinner clothes so it doesnt get on their seat belts in their trucks and then their hunting clothes two days later or maybe once hunting season starts they might wanna wash all their clothes in scent away until hunting is over ILO of going back and forth with regular detergent or put scent away washed towels on their seats when they go hunting so their butts dont smell like the fast food they ate they day before in their truck between sales calls.........

my point is just because certain people dont wanna talk about it and can get away without trying what they can doesnt mean people have to shut they thread down with.........waste of time been their done that just get the wind right.........well with limited acreage getting the #$&^&#*($ wind right isnt always an option........

do i believe you can fool a coyotes nose.......NEVER.....do i believe there are things i can do to reduce the distance between me and him by reducing my scent cone and that i dont have to go into the woods smelling like EVERYTHING I OWN OR TOUCHED THAT WEEK........yes i do.......maybe just maybe guys that dont wanna talk about certain things should just let other guys that wanna discuss some things like this try discussing it for themselves........to each his own!!!!!!!!

REDNECK REID

p.s. anybody wants to FLAME ME i got more.........PERIOD!!!

p.s.s. this TRULY isnt directed at anyone i just had to use this thread as an example of what happens a LOT here................ and thats...............

just because i DONT do it YOU shouldnt either........

and thats not what forums are about if you ask me. this could be AR's against bolt action............e-callers against hand calls.......you name it its just an example of threads getting killed when maybe they shouldnt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REID2168its threads like this that remind me of the jet ski forum i belong to and how a guy in California thinks he can tell a guy in Ohio what fuel pressure he needs to get the correct A/F ratio for his 350+ HP 4-tec race motor without monitoring the A/F just because the guy in Cali runs his that way........

basically everyone doesnt have decoy dogs or 1,000,000,000+ acres to call or live in Texas or Oklahoma or anywhere else out west for that matter...some people hunt on 40 acres and want a smaller to try and create a smaller scent cone and cant go out calling in their trucks and smoke between stands and anything else others think is ok because they know somebody with all the above that can get away with all that.......

maybe if some guys wanna discuss not wearing cologne on the exterior of their work or dinner clothes so it doesnt get on their seat belts in their trucks and then their hunting clothes two days later or maybe once hunting season starts they might wanna wash all their clothes in scent away until hunting is over ILO of going back and forth with regular detergent or put scent away washed towels on their seats when they go hunting so their butts dont smell like the fast food they ate they day before in their truck between sales calls.........

my point is just because certain people dont wanna talk about it and can get away without trying what they can doesnt mean people have to shut they thread down with.........waste of time been their done that just get the wind right.........well with limited acreage getting the #$&^&#*($ wind right isnt always an option........

do i believe you can fool a coyotes nose.......NEVER.....do i believe there are things i can do to reduce the distance between me and him by reducing my scent cone and that i dont have to go into the woods smelling like EVERYTHING I OWN OR TOUCHED THAT WEEK........yes i do.......maybe just maybe guys that dont wanna talk about certain things should just let other guys that wanna discuss some things like this try discussing it for themselves........to each his own!!!!!!!!

REDNECK REID

p.s.s. this TRULY isnt directed at anyone i just had to use this thread as an example of what happens a LOT here................ and thats...............

and thats not what forums are about if you ask me. this could be AR's against bolt action............e-callers against hand calls.......you name it its just an example of threads getting killed when maybe they shouldnt.

wow!!! did someone piss in your post toasties???? and i am pretty sure you have singled a guy out by some of the stuff you said. "that guy" has killed more than you will ever!! you sound a tad bit jealous. these guys were just stating facts. the scent control does not work if a coyote, deer, or any other animal that uses its nose is downwind. PERIOD!

Originally Posted By: jglynnOriginally Posted By: REID2168its threads like this that remind me of the jet ski forum i belong to and how a guy in California thinks he can tell a guy in Ohio what fuel pressure he needs to get the correct A/F ratio for his 350+ HP 4-tec race motor without monitoring the A/F just because the guy in Cali runs his that way........

REDNECK REID

wow!!! did someone piss in your post toasties???? and i am pretty sure you have singled a guy out by some of the stuff you said. "that guy" has killed more than you will ever!! you sound a tad bit jealous. these guys were just stating facts. the scent control does not work if a coyote, deer, or any other animal that uses its nose is downwind. PERIOD!

and u sound like a cheelerleader................now what?????????? i gave my opinion if u dont like u can give yours like i just did again!

Last edited:
just so were straight i never down trodded anyones set up.......i was only defending other peoples writes to have a discussion witout it always turing into.....somebody knows it all and thats the end of it..........becuase it doesnt alwsys work like that......so say whatever u want i dont have to be jealous of anyone. thanks.

cheerleader??? HAHA. you mite wana look at my stats and they have gone up since i put them in a few months ago. i dont need to be a cheerleader for anyone but myself. YOU are the one that said you werent singling anyone out, and clearly you did! PERIOD!!!

p.s. the OP wasnt even asking about scent killer, he was asking about how good a coyote's nose was. start your own thread about scent killer if you want to get proven wrong that it doesnt work. PERIOD!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jglynn

p.s. the OP wasnt even asking about scent killer, he was asking about how good a coyote's nose was.

wow thats weird as it says scent covers right in his very first post on the thread.....scent cover/scent killer same thing to me anyway as they go hand in hand....he then asks if they are needed...........some think so some dont..........and im done arguing with someone that cant read....hahahhahhahaha........what a JOKE.............PERIOD!

Last edited:
we see your kind on here all the time. not here very long and get on here and call people out. YOU are the JOKE bud.... PERIOD!! why dont you go spend some time in the woods and prove your theory. because us guys that hunt year round know that you cant fool their nose if you buy all the scnet blocker, killer, ect. "crap" that is for sale for people like you that waist money on gimmicks..... PERIOD! save your money and buy gas to get back and forth to the woods.

LOL... I think everyone got a nose full on this one...LOL...

I think the OP has gotten the idea by now...

JG.... you have an anniversary for registering a year ago tomorrow... hang in there Man... at least one more day...LOL

haha dan. i will. i actually used to creep around here for a year before registering.lol. i just never thought about it cause you could read all the stuff without doing it. then i guess i felt like arguing with people like this guy. so i signed up.lol. not really.

Back