Coyote at 400y & Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt if to many folks on this board know who Carlos Hathcock even is or was back in my prime.
However, many ought to know who David Tubbs is and I bet he would have a big grin on his face if you asked him to shoot a running coyote at 900 yards! :eek: :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have shot at game animals like mule deer at over 450 yards, however they were standing still for the most part and I had a rifle that I knew what the drop was at 500 yards and it was zeroed in 3 inches high at 300. I practiced with this rifle for over 20 years!I also had a laminated card taped to the side of the stock for various yardage information up to 500 yards. This lessens any chance of yardage error downrange.

I hunt coyote's in Missouri as well as groundhogs and most are killed between 50 and 400 yards. I use mainly my trusty model 70 Winchester in the 25-06 caliber and a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I am NOT even going to waste a bullet on a coyote out there at 900 yards. This old soldier just doesn't have that kind of skills in his pocket. I did fire 3rd in my battlion once upon a time using an M1 Grand and M-14, however that was a long time ago and we didn't have scopes like today. It is much to difficult to know weather or not something else might be lerking in the area too. Missouri is not like the desert areas of Texas and some other states etc.

It is good to know that we have such talented shooter's on this board. I'll just wait for that invite but won't hold my breath OK. Yall have a good hunt and keep your barrels clean for those way out younder shots! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tonk, I won't promise you any long range shots but I'll invite you up! We can go catfishin' all night and hunt predators in the morning. Coyote season is out here in Indiana but I have three farmers that call me complaining about coyotes in their calves and chickens. You can take predators on private property with written permission and DNR approval (Which I have) out of season. I've killed three nuisence dogs in the past two weeks... all 150 yards or less.

I've been catchin some big catfish too.. until these tornado's and floods screwed things all up last week. The last night we fished (5-22) we caught four 25 pound blue-cats and 18 3-10lb channels. Thats a good time!

Anyways, I got two boats and twenty rifles... you're welcome to any of em'!

Sure you can hit running coyotes at long range. I would much rather try and out wit them with a hand call but that’s just my thing. We have a coyote-hunting club or two here in the eastern part of the state, a few in Iowa and Eastern South Dakota as well. At least one that I know of fancies themselves as a “calling” club. Now that’s a laugh because all the “calling” they ever do is on their CBs to tell each other which section line road the coyotes are heading for. LOL

Ya see by late winter when there is snow on the ground coyotes are easier to spot from the roads and it doesn’t take them long to figure out that by staying at or at least close to the center of the sections the better chance they have of keeping there fur. Thus they get shot at A LOT at long range. SKSs Browning Bars, mini-14s and AR-15s are typically the weapons of choice for these fellas because they need to lay down a lot of lead to connect. Every year these out standing sportsmen will whack a surprising number of coyotes at long range. LMAO

Good hunting.

Q,

Not to change the subject or anything but, hey Q, we talked a year or two ago about the patterdales. You ever talk to Roger McCoy down in OK. I got my male Nuttal from him a few years ago.He is breeding the Gould line down there now. My male Nuttal got mauled by a pair of coyotes on a calling trip a couple years ago. I think I might get a bigger Gould patterdale. A guy I talked to a few years ago is breeding pats over by Council Bluffs somewhere but I think he is breeding Nuttals.

To answer the question about shooting practice, i'll put it this way i shoot Alot all year round. With both rifle and shotgun, i zero at an inch and half high at 100 yard's.

So long as it's not raining i plan to shoot around 50 round's from my favorite rifle on the range tomorrow. This ought to make you laugh i shoot a single shot H&R Ultra .223.

I never said i would ever even consider taking a 900 yard shot at a stationary target let alone a running one. I'm Not nearly that good! I do think it's possible though. My favorite shot is 150 or less at a broadside stationary target be it Yote or Deer. That is unless the duck's and geese are around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks FishNHunt... thats a pretty simple procedure... just making sure I was on target.

Wabo, I won't laugh at an H&R, I've had my share of H&R's and NEF's and I know what they can do. We were just having a conversation elsewhere about the NEF's and I said they are way more than I expected for the money invested! I've got 3 rifles and two shotguns that are NEF... they sometimes hang up on extraction but I'm not hunting angry grizzlies so I don't mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good deal on the 243 Muddy Fork. Let us know how it shoots... I helped a buddy set one up like that and we shot 200 cheap rounds through it before trying to calculate groups. I think we did the right thing; the barrell came in good. I haven't talked to him for a while... not sure how its holding up. (He's a two month hunter every year)

Edit: Oh, sorry if I caused that soapbox to come out!

Maybe BJhunter just maybe you are a very good shot and a professed know it all.Like I said before If you cant do it,nobody can.This is not Mo,NE,WSD,or MT.Thats the way there hunted here and you could not compete.Ill bet all those fellows in that varmit masters Mag are Liars to dont you think.Ive read your 20 Cats and summer coyotes in a week,pups ? Of course not ole BJ he dont shoot no pups and them cats Gotta have a ATV winch to get em in.You should work in a yarn factory or in field fertilization something more your style.I will bet that Ive killed more coyotes in a month than you have killed in your entire Life.Of course youll take the bet.I can prove mine can you.Thats what I thought.As far as the guys that dont approve of the way we hunt, Thats just plain envy,cause they get em and he dont.This post went from 3-900 yd. shots in as many years out of 500+ coyotes to you making it sound like thats all we shoot,It also went from Yds. to Meters Being the know it all you are you should be able to compute that out.I was also in country for a short time in my life a Reg.M-16 is no Tac driver I started with an M-14 they were more reliable at least.You see Bj. you aint nobody special.

Sorry, I gotta keep biting on this lure. Muddy Fork, if you want me to clean it up, I'll go back an edit all my posts clean... just tell me... right now I'm gonna straighten some stuff out.
------------------------------------------------
"Maybe BJhunter just maybe you are a very good shot and a professed know it all."

First, there's nothing I'd rather hunt. Secondly. Since we're getting aquainted, I'm a good shot and a professional hunting guide. (and engineer in my 40 spare hrs)
"Thats the way there hunted here and you could not compete."

Nope, Nor would I want too... at 900 yards I probably look like a coyote when I'm in the prone position.
"Ive read your 20 Cats and summer coyotes in a week,pups."

Don't know what your talking about there. Cats? Yes, I've killed 3 coyotes in the last TWO weeks.
"Ive killed more coyotes in a month than you have killed in your entire Life"

There is no doubt that you would tell us that Willie. No doubt whatsoever. After rereading your posts I found that you didn't kill 140 last year yourself... that changes things a lot. You said you split that 140 amongst two other guys... yeah, I'll play your numbers game now! What would kill numbers have to do with flinging lead 1/2 mile anyways?
"As far as the guys that dont approve of the way we hunt, Thats just plain envy,cause they get em and he dont."

I can't imagine anyone envying your ethics, attitude, accuracy (300yrd Coyote sized groups) or knowledge judging by your posts (Not knowing your personally).
"This post went from 3-900 yd. shots in as many years... to you making it sound like thats all we shoot"

Well Willie, I didn't make it sound like thats all you do... the way you described it IS pretty frequent in my book, and I think you said it best when you said... "I see guys shoot em down at 900yd running every year with .223s... Ive even done in a few this way "---"Ive seen it twice this winter and done one myself a couple of years ago"---"like I said, 2-3 times a season Ive seen it happen 1/2 mile fence"
"You see Bj. you aint nobody special."

If special is what you are, its all I aspire to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hate to stir the pot of stew when it's already cooked,.... BUT..... I wonder how many coyotes that are shot at out in the 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 yard range get hit, wounded, but never recovered? :rolleyes: I guess if you don't know you hit them, what's it matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jrbhunter & logstove,

Just want you to know the reason I wrote your name was because you're the only ones that had responded to the topic sense the last time I posted.

OK!

Thanks Muddy Fork... glad your not offended or anything... Keep us informed on the gun. Also, it was mentioned elsewhere that you can have the trigger pre-adjusted by the factory if you order the NEF. I'd have it set as low as they will go. Mine is 2.5-3 pounds or so and its great... I'm not sure how much they'll back it off for you because of liability reasons. If you don't hone it down there will be creep in the pull.

Songdog, you'll burn your spoon if you ain't careful! Haha, but you do bring up a good point. I garuntee you more of em' limp off up in Minnesota than they do down here in the hill country. If there are many guys with the "Lean back & Let er' fly" attitude up there then they got their share of three legged, one eared yotes. Prolly a bunch of confused German Shephards too!

U know i've been houndin' this board for a year or so now, and i gotta say this is definitely one of the best threads ever. Just when i get bored one of you 2 jumps right back into it with some more firecrackers. Thks. for keepin' me hangin' on for the next episode of "Internet War". Just kiddin' guys. I swear Willy, you remind me of my fiancee' (well, sort of). She's the funniest when she doesn't know it. But i betchya if you guys ever met, you'd probably come to like each other, and contrary to at least one opinion on this board, there probably are some out there that like you JR. If you can't find anybody soon, let me know, i'll be your friend for awhile.

Willy,

Thank's for your time in country!

You said an M16 is no tac driver, i don't believe the Mini 14 is even close in comparison to the M16 when it comes to accuracy. So tell me just one thing if the M16 is'nt your choice for accuracy when shooting at Yote's then what make's the Mini14 so appealing?

Personally for shooting at Long Range i'd choose a Single Shot or Bolt action all day everyday. Since you choose the Mini14 i take it they are common in your part of the world? Or the Mini you have can actually shoot better then a pie pan group at 100?

Now i know i'm not from up there in the far North but in my part of Mo. i can see about 5 mile's out my back door. Almost see 10 out the front, with a scope or good pair of bino's i can double those figure's. Fact is i shot a Yote at about 180yds last Wed. while standing in the front yard with the bipod over my picnic table. :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is just as wide open here as it is in alot of place's. So what make's Mn. special and shooting? Atmospheric pressure there would seem to me not nearly as dry as Mt. or Co. and the like? In those place's a bullet fly's Very Well A Long way's. I know first hand from Gopher Hunt'n about the air out west. Just curious. By the way Thank's again for your time in country! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wabo,
I would like to say this in Willy's defense. His Mini-14 may have been tricked out by one of the pro's who do this type of thing. There are company's that guarentee minute of angle accuracy from your mini after they get done with their magic. With that said, one inch group at 100 yards means 2" group at 200, 3"group at 300, 6" group at 600. 9" group at 900. This would be on perfectly calm day and does not figure the horizontal drift which is caused by bullet spin.

wabo, an M-14 and a Mini-14 are not related. Many M-14's are accurate 1000 yard rifles. Many knowlegable folks consider the M-14 far superior to the M-16.

I know the Hathcock name well, I beleive his longest confirmed was about 700 yards, one round, but it is many years since I read the story, could be wrong.
Have a good pointless argument fellas.
Carl

Bofire,

Yes i Know that the M14 is Not related to the Ruger Mini 14. The M 14 was a rifle used by the military before the M16 and After the M1. Correct me if i'm wrong. I consider the M14 to be the most accurate of the M16 and M14 but less accurate then the M1.

Sure the Mini can be customized and tricked out with all the latest play toy's, yet i don't know many people who would spend the money to do so when you can buy a Far more accurate rifle right out of the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd even go so far to say that at a stationary target at 100 yard's i'd pick a Standard Ruger 10/22 over the Standard Mini as far as accuracy. :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hathcock made the far majority of his kills with a model 70 Winchester chambered in a 30-06 Springfield. It was “Burke” his partner that used the M-14 (308 win)

Hathcocks longest kill was 2500 yards with a 50 BMG and well over 1000 with his Winchester. The M-14 design is obsolete and it takes a whole lot of tweaking to get them to shoot. Dependability is there greatest virtue. A well-built AR has the capacity to shoot with bolt guns but with the many working parts inconsistencies are hard to stay on top of. In any case a new varmint style Colt AR should by all means shoot twice as good as a factory Mini-14.

Good hunting.

Q,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back