Coyote at 400y & Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, I'm starting to see the heat rise in here.

Willy & JRB, You guys are just going to have to aggree to disaggree and leave it at that or take it to personal e-mail. That extends to anyone else as well.

Muddy Fork started this post, wanting to get some information. Some of it has been useful but for the most part not. Instead it's kinda turned into a circus.

Money talks, BS walks. You guys need to get together and have a shoot off or something. You will not prove each others point on the internet. If the argument continues, I will have to close the topic.

You guys have remained pretty civil for the most part. But experiance has taught us once a post has reached this far and the way this one has gone, it's just a matter of time before it's closed.

Bofire, you're not that much older than me I bet. A fella is as young as he feels, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Heck, my memory makes "ol" Ronnie Reagans look good sometimes. (God rest his soul)

Hathcocks stalk on the General was phenomenal wasn't it? Can't imagine living on crackers for days, pooping and peeing in my pants while inching along for that one shot. He would have been a heck of a caller!

As for the coyote long shot talk, I believe Willy has done what he says. I have one instance that is similar. I'm reluctant to say it after this thread. LOL! All I can say is it took 4 shots. It was a lot like Willy said. Dirt, not snow though, to walk the shots in and the coyote was nice enough to just stand there looking at the puffs of dirt getting closer. 22-250 on a dead calm day laying on my stomach with a bi-pod. Not positive on the range but it was far. I'm "guessing" somewhere between 600-800 yards. I'm certain it was mostly luck. Lucky the coyote stood still. Lucky there was no wind. Lucky I was laying down. Lucky I had a bi-pod...etc.

I think what most are disputing is that this kind of long distance shooting can be done with any kind of planned regularity. I've shot enough of those east Oregon sage rats (kind of a mini prairie dog) to know anything is possible if you can see where your bullet is hitting and walk your shots in though.

I got a chance to talk to Willy on the phone awhile back when we locked horns on a subject. He's actually a good fella. I'm sure jrbhunter is too and all the rest of ya. I can be an a-hole on here but I'm a sweety in person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Computers kind of suck sometimes for communicating in my opinion. This has been a good thread though.

Take care, Curt

Willy,

I don't think talking ballistic chart's and various bullet type's,wieght's and load's is consider'd B.S. Especially when talking about Long Range shot's on target's the size of a Yote!

I don't look at the chart's often enough yet i know what my gun's are capable of for two reason's. The chart's are the first thing i look at when buying a gun or ammo for it the second thing is shooting alot.

Yes i do think it's possible to hit a stationary target at 900 to 1000 on a regular basis. A running one consistantly No, because i could barely hit the 20ft tarp yesterday. :eek:

I'm gonna go try it again today, i've already designated hitting a target at 1000 is my next objective and i've got a bunch of soft point's and fmj.'s ready for some fun. I don't care how long it take's i wanna have some fun trying for the next several week's. So Lighten Up!! :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well I'll have to jump in one more time. I don't know why.

Willy, have you ever seen ANYONE shoot a prairie dog at 1500-2000 yards? I'm not saying it hasn't been done but I KNOW it hasn't been done with at .223. 50BMG comes to mind. :eek: Besides most prairie dogs shot at extended ranges (beyond 600 yards) are not one shot kills and they aren't running, and they will give you a few chances to adjust POA. A coyote will not!

I don't have the credentials that you and jrb have, but I do quite a bit of range work at 400-600 yards and I know how much time, concentration, and technique it takes to make the shots at those ranges. How log does it take the average shooter who's scope is set at 200 yards to:

1. Spot and identify his target.
2. ACCURATELY Estimate range either with a range finder or mil dot or other reticle
3. Dial up your magnification.
4. Adjust paralax for range
5. Dial in come up for range or determine which crosshair to use. We won't even discuss hold over because that's ridiculous at 900 yards.
6. Re-aquire your target.
7. Settle in, regulate your breathing, and concentrate on your mechanics.
8. Finally take the shot.

If you go through all that and make your shot then you can say you've done your part and only a little luck was involved. Of course by the time you've done all that, a running coyote will be at best at a different range then when you spotted him or at worst in the next county. Wait a second, he's already in the next county. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now if you:

A. See coyote ( or German Shephard)
B. Say "That looks like about 900 yards".
C. Put your carosshair about halfway up the pine tree 20 feet in front of the dog.
D. Pull the trigger.

You've just done a "Hail Mary" and can claim no great marksmanship skill if you by chance hit your target. It just means you should buy a lottery ticket when you get home.

Okay RanUtah, I'm done. Thanks for letting us play around... this has been a fun thread. I don't think anybody is too offended but you're right its not worth continuing it. This is a great site and the freedom to post is what makes it that way... I appreciate it! Thanks for your service to the site and respect you have for the posters here.

Just sidestepped another one didnt you,Ive got pictures all the way back as far as 30+ years not every thing but some.You dont suppose you could come up with something recent like in the last Ten years do ya.I talk balistics and read the same crap your dumpin here.Been shootin prairie dogs and have just as good of rifles as you or the prairie dog hunters have.Most of the guys I see dont have that elaborate stuff your whinin about.But of course Im not in that elite group your in.(Thank you Lord}I just came from a neighboring town and told them about this windbag from Indiana.Had some good laughs and we figure your an agitator in a wheel chair(how close}So any of you fellows that want to see this first handjust get ahold of me in Jan or Feb and weather permitting youll get in on some super fun and some long range shootin.Lots of hunting area all permission granted.This aint BJs guide service this dont cost Just your gas to get here a rifle that shoots some ammo I can even spring a few meals and maybe a primitive cabin.Some of this might be pending as 30 or more could show up that would get a little costly.But we could sure give it a try.The reason I dont say Nov. Dec. is Im busy trapping then.You know dont ya Bj how busy one gets with guidin and 40hr. work week fishin all night and readin balistic charts on the dock by candle light,Aint hardly time for nothin no more.Hell Ill bet you was even married for a spell.What a guy!!!!!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back