Coyote at 400y & Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember right, the late great Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcocks longest shot was something like 2500 yards while in South Vietnam. That was with a .50 BMG that had a little trigger job though. 1125 yards with his model 70 30-06 I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Might be wrong, it has been awhile since I read the book.

As for the topic at hand, I have to admit this has been the most entertaining thread in some time. Thanks!

I really doubt that with the type of shooting being discussed that rifle accuracy is going to be a big factor. Mini-14, AR-15, Model 70, 77 or 700 or whatever. No matter how ya cut it, it's "Hail Mary" in my opinion. We've all done it and it is usually a fruitless effort and waste of bullets. That's why most don't do it anymore.

When we could trap coyotes recreationally, I regularly trapped coyotes with bullet holes in feet and legs. Some having a leg shot off. We have some fellas around here that feel if they can see it, it needs to be shot at. Like Rich mentioned earlier, it makes it extremely tough on the caller. Some areas around here are almost un-callable due to the heavy road gunning pressure. Too bad. There are a ton of coyotes in those spots but they won't have much to do with calling.

Not passing judgment on anyone. It's their business how they "hunt". Heck if I thought I had a chance at taking coyotes at that kind of distance, I might try too. I know I'm not capable so I'll stick with trying to call them into shooting range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good hunting.

(edited for my lousy spelling)

Curt and Q, I had forgotten the 50 cal/2500 yarder, Yup Curt, as you are fond of saying I am getting old!!
I was remembering the 3 or 4 day stalk of the General, waiting for the shot. The troops almost stepping on him, while he hid. The the final 7-800 yard shot.
Man, what a caller he would have been.
Then being burned so badly, a true hero.
Carl

I'm glad you guys are being entertained here too... I've been having a blast. I did just catch on to the "cats" comment... catfish! I got it now.

Anways, you guys talking about the AR's sound pretty knowledgable... I've got a thread going over in the Rifle/Ammo section called "Spend My Money Wisely" where I'm asking for suggestions on a new gun. Just read the description and requirements then make your suggestions... I'd really appreciate it!

Well guy's with all the entertainment from this thread while out shooting today i did it. I backed off to 1000 and took my very first shot at that range today. I knew better then think i'd be anywhere close yet i had to see how hard it would be. I stuck out a 12 by 20 ft tarp below the target about 10 ft below it. With 6 shot's i hit the tarp only twice! :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This was done off my bipod with a 3to9x40 and like i said i'm toooooo shaky much past 450. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Do i still think it's possible Yes, do i think it can be done consistantly on a Running target NO. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Glad you got some first hand experience on that Wabo. Its humbling isn't it? Broad side of a barn comes to mind when I try it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Off to the Reds game... watch for me on there tonight! I'll be the one elbowing 8 year olds to get foul balls. HAHA

Jr,

I've alway's known i could'nt make that kind of shot so i've never taken one. Yep Humble is my middle name. Still laugh'n to myself about howmuch fun it was to try though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3 shots in as many years,And in 10 a few more,Ive seen it and you havent ,Ive even done it and you havent,Minn. vs Mo.for visability only we have snow it also helps with bullet spotting,Even Carlos used a spotter.Them coyotes dont get away any more often here than they do anywhere else.Ive also seen guys me included miss 50 yd shots.Yes I have a Mini triked out as was stated earlier,Lothar -walther barrel and it shoots 1/2"but not for me just under an inch. Do you know that when a coyotes hit or even grazed hell become a whole different critter and he will hide anywhere he can. even under your vehicle,in a barn,shed or even under your house porch.To me hes nothing more than a Big prairie dog and dont much worry about ethics,save that for your deer ,elk and other big game.BJ can pick this all to hell if he wants reword it to his own liking.I also have my doubts about you Bj.If you must know I also trap and the # of coyotes " I" take can be had from a couple of buyers .One that buys Fox from me is pretty close to your area Im not getting in to this any deeper than Im already at I dont have to take second to you that I know.You can try and make a fool out of me by twisting things around Those that know me would laugh you right off this board.Life is long Bj and well see how long you last on this board with your "Im God attitude" Like I said I can Prove what I said. Can you!! Ps. I see you guys are real recent at signing up here?

Willy Lewison,
Yep, I guess I am pretty recent. Been here ever since Predator Masters began. I been in a lot of places, done a lot of things in my 63 years. Shucks, I have even been known to whack a coyote or two. None at 900 yards though. If you ever get to Omaha/Council bluffs area, stop in at Cronk's and say howdy. Coffee is on ME. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Willy,

Must be a nice gun, but as far as your we got snow thing. Well we get snow too and on occasion we get Alot so much that i've actually stuck my 4x4 in a 10ft. drift once a couple year's back. I was hurry'n to get to another call'n position on a Yote that i'd seen that morning on the way home and knew where he was heading. Now last year was'nt much but we did have snow on the ground at my place for about 3 week's to a month.

All i can say is if you ever get down my way p.m. me here and we'll try and get us a few Yote's. I'll even get ya a spotter lined up if there is Snow on, we've been known to ride around look'n for Long Range Yote's too. There is No shortage of em here either. The best shot i've ever seen was at 600 yrd's. They could get out about as far as 5 mile's if ya want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know you get snow, but like I say here it gets wind blown and plugs and levels all the waterways and ravines. This in turn makes it look like a big white pooltable with a tuft of trees here and there. They get darn hungry and when mating season stars they come out of the woodwork,for a couple weeks they seem like they are everywhere.Then its over and they seem more scarce again.I dont want to get nothin goin on my thoughts on these things denning up before and after mating cause all the books say they dont. But guess what? The invitation holds for you guys to come up north and hunt also,Feb is best and in a few days you might have a new outlook on long range "LUCK" hope to meet you all some day as I do some hunting in both of the Dakotas and Montana even a little around New Castle Wy. (stinky coyotes )Alittle to much sage there for me.Wish You all the best,And Mr.Cronk you got about 8 or so years on me,but its creeping up on me as it will all of us in a short time,Have all the good times you can as we cant tell whats left until its gone.See Ya on the Snow maybe

Well, I guess I am going to be the one to crash the party Gents! :rolleyes:

I once got into a conversation about elk hunting several years ago, after the fellow in the chair made his claim to fame of shooting an elk at over 700 yards more than once mind you. His weapon of choice was none other than the faithful 30-06. :eek:

I just figured to ask the usual questions, like where did you have your rifle zeroed in at yardage wise? Also what kind of rifle caliber were you using to make the shot? What weight bullet and brand of ammo etc. How many shots did it take before you hit paydirt?

I have shot an elk or two in my day and do know a little something about ballistics and bullet drop at various yardages. Well, needless to say the Old Boy got all rattled and didn't stick around to finish that conversation for the rest of us long hair fellows waiting with our eyebrows raised.

I figure a coyote at 900 yards looks mighty small compared to that big elk at 700 yards, not to mention the 20 x 20 inch vital zone area that the critter has to put a bullet into. However, I'll cut to the chase and not leave any of you in suspence a moment longer shall we say. Mr. Jim Carmicheal, renouned Gunrag and rifle shot of many years, as well as one who has written several books on ballistics and hunting in general, wrote an article last year in a magazine entitled I believe--The 700 yard shot on elk" or something to that effect ladies and gentlemen.

He goes on to say that those so called 700 yard shots on elk, which I consider the same as a 900 yard shot on a wondering coyote are nothing more than.......Barber Shopp BS~!!! :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Willy, I'm not from mo. i'm from New Mexico and i've been at the game of shooting since 1948 and i will match you any day you would like to try. if you hit a running yote at 900 yd's you aint good you are just plain lucky and we both know it.
I guess if you threw enough lead at anything you might hit but like i said luck. my boy, Have a good day Willy and enjoy your shooting, I hope you live as long as i have and still enjoy the sport as much as i do...Joe...AKA..oso45-70.

jrbhunter
they sometimes hang up on extraction but I'm not hunting angry grizzlies so I don't mind
I was wondering if you've tried polishing the chamber. I polished the chamber of my new 223 Ultra before I ever fired a shot and so far not a single hang up. I started with a once fired 223 casing (from my sons rifle) drilled out the primer area, ran a screw into it and covered the casing with JB's bore paste. Chucked it into a cordless drill and slowly worked it in and out, very briefly seating it all the way in. I then used spray gun cleaner and FLOODED the ejector mechanism to flush it out.

Like I said, not a single stuck case. Some of my hand loads have flatted primers pretty good (too hot), so it is not getting fed just lite stuff either.

Hope this helps. By the way, the whole polish job took about two minutes at most. Better too little than too much.

Not that you mentioned it I trapped 2,349 coyotes last year... 1,540 Red Foxes. Caught two coyotes in the same leghold at the same time on six different occasions... saves on sets that way.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That ain't as fun as I thought it'd be. Honestly now, I do trap a little, only set out about 30-40 steel-traps though. Maybe another 25 Cone-bears for coons & such. I used to supply taxidermist with hides for mounts by trapping all winter... made more money that way than trying to skin, flesh and stretch everything and taking it to market. This year may be the first that I don't set any traps... I just don't have the time for the dedication it requires to do it right.

I have learned that trapping is another one of those things (like calling) that takes a lot of time, dedication and a good tutor to learn from. If I don't trap I'll still ride along with a buddy or two when they run their lines... thats always a real thrill for me.

Willy,

Try looking over a 40,000 acre by 30,000 acre river bottom with almost No tree's except for behind river leve's for Yote's. By December 95% of the field's are worked under so when there is Snow on that Flat bottom a guy can see a Yote for a LONG WAY.

Somehow even with Snow on None of us guy's that hunt it together have ever tried a 900 yrd shot before. I may have to keep practicin though just for giggle's to see if one of my cousin's can hit anything with his swift at that range. He is an excellent marksman so it will be fun talking him into taking a shot for fun like that. I don't think the snow help's all that much at that distance maybe it's just the 30 rd clip?

Just getting in and had 5 different Yote's howlin from different direction's with in 1000 yrd's of the house. I don't think they are worried day or night about me out that far. :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jees, I give up,You believe these guys are killing prairie dogs at 1500 and 2000yd,I do,Luck you say,Ok, there is a certain amount of that involved every morning you wake up.This post was picked apart by a bs artist who held a book in one hand and typed with the other. I never said I was the best shot ever,Ive only made that shot about twice in my whole life.But Ive seen other fellows do it on occasion who are they ,some I know by name and some I dont.I could give you E-Mail adresses and you would call them liars also.You can side with bj but his kind are a dime a dozen at coffee shops and gun shows,in all acuallity he couldnt find a turd in a toilet bowl.None of you know me personally, but all have passed judgment one way or the other.Bj maybe you could put some pictures of YOURS up so we can see these claims your making.Oh you dont take pictures because it happens every day for you.Again I say to you the guide, fisherman, engineer, full time hunter, trapper and anything else you had a whim about,I agree you are the best At Bs

Man you guys are gettin tough on here !! Willy, settle down buddy. It's been a fun thread, a lot of hard to beleive BS, but fun just the same. Carry on fellas.
dc

Those boys shooting long range prarie dogs have top notch equipment, often shoot from benches & vises, have thousands of available targets, take stationary shots, know their ballistics, know how their equipment performs at various yardages and they select accomodating hunting locations and weather conditions for long range shooting. Another major difference in those guys is they can and will sit down to talk ballistics, techniques, tips, tricks & stratagies of long range rifle accuracy.

Willie, I have several pictures laying around. Just what do I need to have pictures of to make my stories credible... I'm sure I'm the one lacking credibility so just let me know what you need.

Willie,
I have not passed any judgements nor do I beleive many others here have, on you or JRB.
At Big Sandy Montana one winter I saw a yote at extreme range that already saw us. A couple fellas took shots at it for fun with big rifles.
They hit about 50 yards low so it must have been a long way. Yote took off at about 4000 fps!
Is Leroy anywhere near? I would not mind meeting you someday if it is. I go out about once per year usually fall or winter. Big Sandy is a couple hours north of Great Falls. For hunting yotes I like to get them as close as possible and knock the crap out of them with my 223, for longer shots, for me that is 3-400 yards, I like my 243.
Never give up!!
Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back