What was your fist call you killed a predator with?

I started out spoiled with a buddy's Foxpro callin in a few dogs. I thought, [beeep], its just a speaker so I bought the thirty dollar remote caller at academy thinking I could actually use it the same way. I bought a government cottontail hand call as a back up for giggles and hung it on my neck just in case. So, on my first time out alone, I put the little remote caller out about fifteen yards away where I could see it and when I pressed the button, nothing happened. I got up and put it at about five yards thinking that would definitely be close enough to transmit a signal. Annnghhh, wrong!...Nothing... And not believing in hand calls too much I figured I couldn't do much worse using the hand call and started giving it heck and tootin on that sucker like crazy. Five minutes in, I was just about to give up when I see a coyote at about a hundred yards just lookin at me. Bang! Down Right There! End of story. The Government cottontail has been my only back up call since, and I have a FX5 now. The little cottontail has done me great more times than I can count and even though energizer is great, the ultimate back up is a hand call. Never leave home without it!

Originally Posted By: manderson Any of you old timers remember Herters?
Yup i still have my first blance beam reloading scale that i bought from Herters.....Dang im older than dirt.. how the heck did this happen
scared.gif

Steve

i have my herters scale and case length trimmer the press broke.
when i heard we were going to minnesota i saved every penny i made then made my dad take me to wasika to herters to spend my money. i had a herters call too but lost it.
i guess your old steve you been here longer then me
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
My first Predator was a red fox called in with a Burnham Brothers hand call back in 1980, I can still see that Red fox trotting down that hedgerow before I shot him with my Winchester 22.....

The brown plastic 3N1 Pocket Call....And since my vintage predator call addiction kicked in some years ago, I have a few of the first models of this call in solid wood and many of the calls you all are talking about in fact maybe all of the calls you all are talking about and MANY MORE except for the newbie calls "Randy Anderson" type calls...nothing wrong with Randy's calls just not vintage yet...HAHA

Originally Posted By: pasturepupThe Tally-Ho was the first call. I still use it.

+1 Michael the tally-Ho is a great call and was first made right here is south dakota.

Mike

I ain't kilt my first un yet.
I dun kalled a few in. N missed one that turned n started runnin at bout 175 yds.
But I ain't givin up till I git at least one.
N it don't matter if n it takes me the rest of my life.

sceery jackrabbit distress

after using some other calls I love this one. Soft and comfortable to use for long periods. takes VERY little air to power it. now I also got the sceery cottontail and that brings em in too. Don't plan to ever use another distress call.

Burnam Brothers I used the closed reed long range and the close range it was two flat pieces of plastic with a gun rubber band reed. Both imitated wounded Cottontail rabbit.

I loved them old calls called in many red and gray fox with them back in the late 60s and early 70s.

~HF~

old thompson,i think or circe about 1968.we started night hunting when we were in school.then missed a couple while in the army.then we would hunt all night and call a few hours in the morning.

Back