What was your fist call you killed a predator with?

Originally Posted By: wybobOld ghetto blaster with a johnny stewart cottontail tape,
I saw him comin from quite a ways out, and it took him a while to come, by the time I took the shot I thought my heart was gonna explode. been hooked ever since.

+1 This is exactly how mine happened as well.

The first coyote I killed was called with Wayne Carlton's open reed bear call. I called a pair and shot the male at about 100 yards with my Ruger M77 .270.

02-2-2PCWLay.jpg

How do you like my camouflage?!

Knapper

An old primos diaphram turkey call while turkey hunting. It snuck in behind me (I was sitting back against a tree). I heard something & looked over my shoulder and he was about 15 feet away. Me and the coyote both about crapped our pants. He was so confused I was able to flop around and roll him up with a load to the chest. That was four or five years ago. Now that I'm trying to call them on purpose I can't get one to come in to save my life. Guess I'm a better hen turkey than I am a dying rabbit!!

A PS OlT I think it was a model 155 not sure about the number. I was shooting a pre 64 winchester 30/30 that my brother sold me. Wish I still had the call and the rifle.

Not sure about the model but it was a Knight and Hale closed reed that I got with a VHS video tape. I watched the tape and went out the next evening after work.
Called a pair of yotes up to a web wire fence about 10 feet in front of me.Shot one of them in the head with an open sight 30-30, sure am glad that fence was there. I was pretty shook up and also addicted for life. That was about 10 years ago.

My first was a coyote called in with a closed reed "Herters" cottontail distress. that was 40 years ago.
Lost the call while bow hunting mule deer, wish I had it back.
Any of you old timers remember Herters?

The Herters cottontail call was my first call also. I still have it along with my PS Olt. They have both been retired along with numerous other calls.

I'm not really sure who made it, my uncle gave it to me and it had no markings on it. It was wooden open reed in a fairly ugly shade of green, but it worked. That has been a few years ago(more than I'm willing to admit to) I don't have the call any more, I believe my ex thought that I would enjoy it.

an 8 dollar wooden call i bought at a ranch supply store thats no longer here.
called in 6 yotes on my very 1st stand,only got 1 though.
it was the 1st successful calling trip with my dad. we were camping in N.E. Nevada Desert outside Cedarville Ca.
i still have that call sittin on top my gun safe, couldnt bring myself to throw it out so i replaced the reed and gave it to my son.

Johnny Stewart PC3 variable pitch. Probably went ten times before and called 5 dogs of so, but never got off a shot. She came in around 6 min mark, stopped her at 65yds and made a nice shot. I killed two that day. It was Superbowl Sunday of 07. I was so happy I thought I might have been dreaming it. I Was a die hard archer then but archery has taken a back seat to predator calling these days.

Circe green plastic 3-in-1 call, 1978, "sporterized" 03-A3 Springfield in 30-06, west of where the gun range is in Albuquerque, 84 yards, down hill, young male.
I guess Alzheimers is still at bay, LOL!!!!
Mark

Quote:Any of you old timers remember Herters?

I've still got one of their 3 lb. "Prime Northern Goose Down" mummy bags. I saved up for 6 months to buy it, when I was about 14.
$53.
laugh.gif

It's kept me from freezing to death a few times.

Back