What was your fist call you killed a predator with?

John deere 4450 disking corn stalks does that count.If not it would be an OLT 33 predator shooting a Rem 700 22-250.To long ago to remember the year.

Weems wild call. I missed the first one but connected on the second one two days later. Sako Forester Deluxe 243.

Circe cottontail
I bought it from Hank at the Western Auto in Sierra Vista AZ in 1977. (I still have it but the metal reeds pooped out fairly fast).
Harvey7

Haydel closed reed cottontail call. Use it long enough and it sounds like a jack rabbit/pup distress. Still carry them with me. Still use them when not using the FX5.

Randy Anderson green Little Dog. Mouth piece only, no horn. It was my second stand ever, right outside Ajo Arizona. He showed up out of the brush 20 yards from me after 10 minutes of calling.

03-21-08Import014.jpg

Nate

This is cool It seems like alot of hand calls wich is awsome wish mine could have been a hand call but I am not worried about it.

Thanks folks and keep them coming this is a good one in my book.

One of those Burnham bros brown plastic C3 fox calls. Called in 4 coyote on a daylight, kilt one with an open sighted Colt AR 15 back in the late 70s. Grizz

That is one great collection of calls CM.
My first was with a plastic Olt, after a few years of on & off trying, I saw a coyote out on a powerline while grouse hunting. I sat right down, slipped a couple of #2's in my Win 21 skeet gun, called for a couple mins, then shut up & waited, like I would for a turkey. He showed up & I clobbered him. Mangy, half his hair gone, stunk, some trophy. That was in the mid 80's. Hey, maybe I should try and shut up a little now?

Old ghetto blaster with a johnny stewart cottontail tape,
I saw him comin from quite a ways out, and it took him a while to come, by the time I took the shot I thought my heart was gonna explode. been hooked ever since.

I called my first coyote with a home made call. Made out of a squirrl call, a rubber band on the reed and a tube for a mouth piece. It took some time for the kill because they would always " just appear in front of me". Setting up has always been a challenge for me.

It was an old weems wild call an i shot him with a marlin leaver action 30/30, i was 15 and that was 1975.I still have the rifle and the call.
Steve
I posted the above then went and read the rest of the thread, The old weems wild call was a coyote gettin sucker it looks like,And it still works pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Back