Savage or Remington

I have both savage and remington. My new sps is a flat out shooter but so are all my savage guns too!!! Actually the guns can shoot better than i can!!! I believe it all comes down to personal preference!!! I really want a .223 in the vtx model but i dont like the muzzle break they have on em!!! My model 10 xp predator shot 1/4 groups out of the box with factory loads!!! I believe optics make or break a good gun!!!

I have owned both and shot both for years. I have not owned as many rifles as others I am sure but have owned a few. I owned at one time 2 different Remmy's both model 700's and 1 winchester. Both of these makes were far more finicky about what they would shoot well. Most of the time they shot 1.5 inches or so. Bought my first Savage/Stevens 6 years ago and the very first load I loaded shot 1 MOA groups. With more time behind the trigger it became apparent Savage worked better for me in the accuracy department. I no longer own any Remmy's or Winchesters I have one Howa Rifle and the rest are Savage. People like to argue how they look and feel....but absolute main purpose of owning a rifle is accuracy to shoot tight groups and kill stuff and in my experience Savage won that battle out of the box hands down.

Are Remmy's horrible NO but out of the box they seem to have a little less accuracy by most peoples accounts. Say what you want about the lawsuits with Remmy and star witnesses, their rebuttals to the claims the undeniable truth is people have been injured if not killed due to faulty triggers. If it were one or two people you might say coincidence but many many reports have been filed about their faulty triggers. Not worth the chance in my mind of of having an accident.

I do have to agree with most of the guys on here though I have listed my personal preferences and for me I have 100% confidence in my Savages and for shooting sports that is a lot of the battle. Feel a few shoulder them try them out if you can and see what works best for you and go with it. Both my dad and my brother own Remmy's and I have proven to my dad Savage is the way to go after 45 years of being a Remmy owner he has shot my Savages and the next rifle he gets won't be a Remmy. Now I got to work on my brother:).

IMO....Appearance-Remington. Accuracy-Savage. Combination of both--Ruger. Have a VSSFII Remmy, KM77VT Ruger, and had a Savage 25. The Ruger is my favorite, but that little 25 would shoot! Both are better in accuracy than the VSSF. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyNot a new barrel. But I bet I can run the same rounds through my tikka and it shoot them better. Heck I know it will, I've shot them thought my tikka.

If it shoots 1" groups with factory ammo, you have a good shooting rifle. I do not see how you could complain. Regardless of how the Tikka shoots the same rounds. I'm certain there are loads the 700 will shoot better than the Tikka. It really means nothing.

I'm quite certain your rifle will shoot better with handloads. Just to let you know, my 700 SPSV 243 started out shooting about 1.5" groups. After 100 rounds, they shrunk to 1.25" groups. After another 50 rounds or so, 3/4" groups. That was all with 105gr A-maxes. It now shoots around 1/2" with 95gr Bergers. Well, it did. I just switched stocks again. Hopefully the 3rd one is the charm
grin.gif

My other new 700 700 ADL shoots 87gr V-maxes into roughly 3/4" groups at 100yds. (One group was .550 and one was .832). At 200yds I put 10 shots into the wind into 3". This is all that I have shot it. Only load I tried. Figured that was good enough to go yote hunting with.....

Considering the trigger job and the gun has been glass/pillar bedded I was just expecting better.

I'm gonna keep playing with it. I know it will shoot , just gotta find the load

Originally Posted By: Casey Danielson My model 10 xp predator shot 1/4 groups out of the box with factory loads!!!

lets see them targets.lmao

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: getfoxyConsidering the trigger job and the gun has been glass/pillar bedded I was just expecting better.

I'm gonna keep playing with it. I know it will shoot , just gotta find the load

All of that extra stuff will not necessarily make a bad load shoot well. But it will make for better shot to shot consistancy. Especially with a good load.

That exact load with the bullet set out a hair may shoot lights out. They maybe "setup" better for the tikka. Who knows!? But 1" with average non "premium" ammo is pretty decent. I be you feed it some sierras it will be a lot less. That's part of the "fun" I guess.

I have never owned a remington, but I have shot a bunch of em. No complaints from what ive shot, although thet were full blown bench guns. I do own 3 savages and I love them. I have also owned a cz and that was a beautiful gun and it shot great! GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!! Almost every company is making very accurate firearms nowadays. Hard to go wrong. Find something you like, ask about it and make sure there arnt any prone mechanical flaws and if everything checks out, BUY IT! Dont let anyone tell ya what u will or wont like.

So I guess that when a guy buys a rifle, for some he needs to reload for while others shoot store bought well? I for one would take the one that shot good with store bought ammo, and then tweak loads. Id guess a fellow needs to decide what brand that is. What would be the best rifle for a non reloader non tinkerer?

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So I guess that when a guy buys a rifle, for some he needs to reload for while others shoot store bought well? I for one would take the one that shot good with store bought ammo, and then tweak loads. Id guess a fellow needs to decide what brand that is. What would be the best rifle for a non reloader non tinkerer?

Great point if you can find a gun that shoots factory ammo well you can make it even better with a little tweaking when reloading.

Originally Posted By: Casey DanielsonMy model 10 xp predator shot 1/4 groups out of the box with factory loads!!!

just think what you can do reloading. cut them groups in half, you won't even be able to tell you shot more than once.lol

just think what you can do reloading. cut them groups in half, you won't even be able to tell you shot more than once.lol

In your dreams!!!!!

Jack

I just posted this in another thread but...
DSCN1176.jpg

Thats honest to god 300 yard group, in perfect wind.

Savage target action, 260AI Criterion 1-8 barrel. Thats the best group, but even a quarter can cover most of my worse as long as I dont pull some. All parts for the rifle cost me just under $1200 good luck with a remmy for that price.

Its kinda like Harley vs. say honda. I own a Harley thats why I can only afford a custom Savage!

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI just posted this in another thread but...
DSCN1176.jpg

Thats honest to god 300 yard group, in perfect wind.

Savage target action, 260AI Criterion 1-8 barrel. Thats the best group, but even a quarter can cover most of my worse as long as I dont pull some. All parts for the rifle cost me just under $1200 good luck with a remmy for that price.

Its kinda like Harley vs. say honda. I own a Harley thats why I can only afford a custom Savage!

Holy schmoly. 300 yards. That's some damm fine shooting. Do you do any competitions? If not, you should think about it. For money!

real nice shooting there dogging coyotes. but you custom savage kinda defeats this remington vs. savage debate don't you think. i was hoping you were gonna tell me it does that good with factory ammo too. lol.

I just finished that rifle last winter and I just got into F class this summer. I shoot a local match over the winter thats not Fclass just some old guys for fun.

I put just over 500 rounds through the gun from March through September of summer but some big time money issues have slowed me down considerably.

Im 25 so ive got time.

Originally Posted By: kyle`real nice shooting there dogging coyotes. but you custom savage kinda defeats this remington vs. savage debate don't you think. i was hoping you were gonna tell me it does that good with factory ammo too. lol.

Pay attention here Kyle. That's not my shooting. That is Rock Knocker. I don't have anything that will shoot like that and even if I did, my shooting abilities wouldn't do the rifle justice.

Back