Savage or Remington

Savage all the way.

Have a nice day.
smile.gif

The savage offers more VALUE IMHOP! just look at some of the threads about the edge/axis a $300.00 entry level firearm. Will shoot dime size groups with factory ammo!!!
That my friends is VALUE! In a world that puts little emphisis on it any more, savage still does!!! Even the big `R` has let it slide.... let`s not mention the 710/770

If you up to the next $ tier up can upgrade, tinker or change the crap out of them.... easily. No custom Gunsmithing you can work on them yourself thats VALUE!

just sayin
SAVAGE

Originally Posted By: cdn1canhunt Will shoot dime size groups with factory ammo!!!

i would like to see proof that all savage rifle's shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo. is this just keyboard chat or what. if they shoot dime sized groups outta the box with factory ammo why would the majority of benchrest shooters custom build one? in 6 pages of remington vs. savage only one guy showed his savage groups. and it weren't no factory gun shooting factory ammo either. any gun can be made to shoot

So a factory gun won't shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo?

You guys need to get out more. My savage edge .223 did, my TC venture 22-250 did also

Oh I get out plenty and own all factory guns. Like said above if they all did, then why build a custom? It's possible to happen from time to time. But not consistently. Blind squirrels find nuts every once in a while.

Savage factory barrels, I have not shot one, sound like they are make or break.

Some shoot amazing some suck.

With a bore scope some look like [beeep] but appear to shoot fine.

I think Remington has been aroud enough to have smoothed out their barrels but they still arent great.

It seems savage has got a rockstar action design with the floating bolthead, cheap, easy and very repeatable.

I own a factory rem 700 30-06. I think the remmy action feels smoother in the hand but lacks the simplicity of being so accurate.

IMHO for my Minnesota close action woods hunting a 700 is great. A factory Savage shooting 3/4 moa and under or a factory remmy shooting 1moa or under... in the woods, off hand on a possibly moving animal. It comes down to skill.

If you want a custom hunting rifle(Im not talking a honker target rifle) call Jim Briggs of Northland Shooter Supply 763-682-4296 he is a Savage guru. You talk to him and pick out the factory savage action and an Awesome(AND CHEAP) Criterion barrel in your caliber and he has factory stocks, or for a little more a nice aluminum bedded H-S Precision stock. He has most of it on hand and will mail you the pieces and you bring it to a local gunsmith and they can put the barrel on a savage action lickety split. They will assemble the whole gun if you want otherwise just bolt in the barreled action to your stock and whamo you got a custom hunting rifle YOU picked out. Best of all it doesnt cost much more than factory and you got a Criterion barrel(Criterion is Kriegers new button rifle devision[CAN NOT argue with a Keieger] and are cheap to get the name out quick) Criterions SHOOT, a 15 year old girl schooled a big group of old F class guys in a comp in Texas with the exact rig from Jim I just mentioned. He has his catalog on SavageShooter.com but you have to join the site to see anything on the site because of some hacker BS. Jim is an awesome guy and does tons of business around the states and further, I was lucky enough to live 3 miles from him! I do business off his kitchen table and I can tell you he is a stand up guy.

Good luck. Threads like this start knife fights!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=jim+briggs Topic of Criterion, pre fit, pre chambered barrels

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/09/15-year-old-gal-wins-her-first-ever-f-class-match/ 15 year old champ........ Pictures are worth a thousand words

Im not trying to say Remmys suck, but I know first hand these rifles are great. I shot F class for about 6 months and just started reloading a year ago. I am getting awesome groups and my first F class comp was the first time I ever shot over 500 yards. 600 yard comp and I got 3rd place of 26 in the Marksman/Unclassified catagory. Love this rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: getfoxySo a factory gun won't shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo?

You guys need to get out more. My savage edge .223 did, my TC venture 22-250 did also

did you get lucky on them or what. i can believe it. dime sized groups with factory rifle and factory ammo is not as common as you savage boys would like everyone to believe. this whole thread has turned into a bunch of b.s. for the most part. maybe a few of you may actually have savages that are beyond ordinary but not all. for most of the guys that have replied to this who can only afford a 300 dollar savage are probly buying tasco and simmons scopes. so for 400.00 bucks they are capable of out shooting most custom rifles. you better get off the computer and start selling shares for savage arms and there 300 dollar bench guns.

My vote would go towards Savage. I have never owned a Remington so I cant knock them but I do currently own three Savages and all will shoot right at an inch or under at 100 yards with factory ammo. Im sure there are Remingtons capable of doing the same thing as well as any other rifle manufacture out there. My .204 has even shot some three shot groups that can be covered with a dime at 100 yards. It wont do it all the time but has on a couple of ocassions. The best thing you could do is go to your local gun store and handle any of them your interested and see what fits your best. Good luck.

I have 2 remington sps's in .204, so I know they are alive.
I have the savage predator in 22-250, love that!

I like the savage 22-250 better than the SPS .204, it is more accurate and shoots whatever I feed it more accurately. That said, I like my remington vssf in .204 a much as the savage 22-250.

C

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerShould get some Savage stock. check out remmy's new leader.............

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/01/cost-cutting-capitalist-nardelli-named-remington-ceo/

Cant argue fact.

"He was noted for aggressive cost-cutting at Chrysler and for improving build quality which reduced warranty claims."

"Nardelli dramatically overhauled Home Depot. He streamlined operations, most notably implementing a computerized automated inventory system. Many of those moves were effective (revenues rose from $46 to $81.5 billion in six years)"

Yeah he ruffles feathers. But what does that mean to the end user?

Again, I just prefer Remington. Never did I say Savage was junk or not worth having.

lol i dont know about 1/4 inch groups with any ammo but my savages shoot great in my eyes. I bought some fiocci factory ammo that features the 40 grain hornady vmax with the blue tip. I shot four 3-shot groups and only had one group producing under an inch. It was .877 to be exact. Not excellent but not too bad. With my favorite coyote load I have gotten my 11fcns .223 to shoot a best 3-shot group of .406. On average it shoots between .550 and .600. Thats with 25.8 grains of Imr 4895, sierra 52 grain bthp match and remington 7.5 primers and remington brass. Never measured the groups from my .22 mark 2 or the 93r17 but I would say they shoot under an inch (estimation) if I do my part. Oh and I do use a 1980s tasco 3x9 that was reparallexed my butchs gun werks and has a fine crosshair. Got it from an old fella I know that used it in IR 50/50 benchrest on a sporter class .22. Works great for me. Savage Is my favorite brand but I would kill for a 700vsf in 220 swift and an sps varmint in 17 rem fireball! Lil outta my price range at the moment though.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Fred at Sharp shooter supply or Bill at northland, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Krieger, or whoever that sells all these after market barrels for Savages, somehow stay in business?

Why would anyone want to buy a premium barrel when the Savage factory barrels shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Cooper, Tikka, Sako, or any other rifle and spend all that money when a $300 Savage is just as accurate or has better accuracy right out of the box?

How do these companies stay in business, competing against a $300 rifle that is easily accuracy superior?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI don't understand how Fred at Sharp shooter supply or Bill at northland, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Krieger, or whoever that sells all these after market barrels for Savages, somehow stay in business?

Why would anyone want to buy a premium barrel when the Savage factory barrels shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Cooper, Tikka, Sako, or any other rifle and spend all that money when a $300 Savage is just as accurate or has better accuracy right out of the box?

How do these companies stay in business, competing against a $300 rifle that is easily accuracy superior?

Speculation. Bring some facts.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/09/15-year-old-gal-wins-her-first-ever-f-class-match/ Oh wait. I just found this again. Its a 15 year old girl winning a big comp with a Savage. How many Remmies do you think she shot against?

Last edited:
Sarcasm is abundant on this thread! Haha I love it! I paid 600 for my savageand I wouldnt take it to a shoot with any hopes of doing well. I would like to buy a stevens 200 and a douglas prefit 17 remmy barrel! I think that would be a cool rig with a stockys stock and a sharp shooter supply trigger!

There is more to a rifje than it being just a good shooter. Savage/tikka skimp on a few things to cut corners but the accuracy is there.

Hand cut checkering, white line spacers, engraving, AAA wood you will not find..but the holes in the paper is all that counts at the end of the day

Back