Savage or Remington

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerOriginally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI don't understand how Fred at Sharp shooter supply or Bill at northland, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Krieger, or whoever that sells all these after market barrels for Savages, somehow stay in business?

Why would anyone want to buy a premium barrel when the Savage factory barrels shoot dime sized groups with factory ammo.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Cooper, Tikka, Sako, or any other rifle and spend all that money when a $300 Savage is just as accurate or has better accuracy right out of the box?

How do these companies stay in business, competing against a $300 rifle that is easily accuracy superior?

Speculation. Bring some facts.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/09/15-year-old-gal-wins-her-first-ever-f-class-match/ Oh wait. I just found this again. Its a 15 year old girl winning a big comp with a Savage. How many Remmies do you think she shot against?

Talented young lady, good for her. I'd guess there was more to her victory than just the rifle used.

Doesn't look like a $300 Savage, with a factory barrel either.
smile.gif

I asked a few questions, sorta "Tongue in cheek". I actually own Savages and Remingtons, among some other brands. Only one of my Savages has a factory barrel on it. A LRPV in 204 Ruger. Some of the Rems also have worn barrels such as Shilen, Douglas, Pacnor, Benchmark, Chanlyn, even Lothar Walther.

I believe there are some factory barrels and some shooters that can produce dime sized groups, but I don't believe it to be the norm.

Now can you produce facts to show us it is the norm for the named $300 rifles, and not just speculate.

Last edited:
Savage is great if you don't mind a rifle that has to be put on "half safe" or off safety to unload. So far this has kept many manufacturers out of my arsenal. I may swallow my pride someday and try to get over this quirk. To me forward is fire, a bolt should always open regardless of safety position, and there's no such thing as "half safe". This has kept far more than Savage out of my closet. Out of the box accuracy comes second to function for me. Load development and basic tuning will eventually get accuracy on any worthy rifle. Who can afford much factory ammo anyways?

Well one thing on Savages side... none have been reported to have fired when taking the safety off,unlike other brands. Pros and cons I guess.
grin.gif
And no, that Savage the gal is shooting does indeed look a step up from an axis. The shooting rest costs more than that. lol

Well one thing on Remington's side I believe almost all the safety problems were on modified triggers.

The action she has was around $320 at the time and the barrel $280(for a large shank, same lenght and caliber) she has a small shank on that action and I dont remember if Jim's prices were a little less for small shanks or not.

The stock she has is SharpShooter Supply, the other big Savage guy. I heard he is an a$$ so Ive never bothered with him, and my gun seems just fine the way it is. The stock though Im fairly sertain is more than half the price of the gun.

I like the H-S Precision aluminum bedded stock I got for $300. I drilled some tiny holes in the aluminum and smeared some Devcon on it and called it a bedding job, seems to be fine.

I believe the bolt on my axis can be worked on safety but I may be wrong. I dont believe it does on my Stevens or my model 12 though.

Back