Savage or Remington

Savage,Remington, I own both. At one time, the Savages out numbered the Remmy's. Now its vice versa. I don't think either will win beauty contest cause there just steel and plastic or wood. All shoot good or they will go bye-bye. Whats all the fuss about? Buy what ya like!!

How much you wanna bet?
lol.gif

Remingtom Model 7 .223 is my go to calling rifle. I vote Remington. And I have shot and handled both. Have 2 700's I would shoot against any Savage out there.

Shooting against and shooting better than are two different things.
tt2.gif

Just for sake- I ain't knockin Remmy's, I got five as we speak. But...I like my Savages also. And my Tikka and my Steyr. Crap, I like-em all, They just aren't that PRETTY! Now Nancy(my wife), she's pretty!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI would like to see Ole Rem ditch that gravel blasted finish on the SPS models. The blued model are just smoother and nicer all around, IMO.

And, would really like to see better synthetic stocks than the crummy tupperware stock on most of the brands out there including Savage.

Amen to that... My SPS feels like a truckload of sand was dumped onto the Bolt. The Howa, Tikka, Savage, Browning, are all much smoother to My feel. But I only own one Remmi, so I cant make a confirmed evaluation.. I guess I need two to actually have a say so in this discussion..
grin.gif

I can see how some do not care for the finish on new SPS. It is a bit rough. My last ADL had a nicer finish.

It is not hard to slick up the bolt. Mine did not take long to break in......

Check out the Savage Light Weight Hunter Rifle,thinking model 11 ,111 or 25?I've also heard great things about the light weight Kimber Rifles too.
wink.gif

I love my Remington 30-06 Bolt-action,great shooting Rifle and my Browning A-bolt Hunter in .243...and my newer CZ model 527 .204 Rifle.....try them all,check out the prices and see which You would rather have.I've found that they are all great Rifles and never limit Yourself to 1 brand of Rifle,they all have certain features that make one more desireable than the other.

i'd take a remmy anyday, but there is one thing that is good about savages. they offer alot of cool chamberings from the factory that other's don't

Last edited:
Savage has come a long way. Give Coburn credit.

99s are still the best rifles Savage has produced to date, IMO.

Be cool if they made them again. Hear rumors all the time, but it never happens......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: getfoxyI'll bet you a no good shooting cdl .243 lol

The CDL didn't shoot for ya? What loads?

I had a box of Winchester 100 g power points and rem 100g soft points.

The winchesters shot the best hovering around an inch, the rems around 1.5".

I really need to load for this rifje to see what she will do, but today was no good at all lol.

I can't say that I would have much say in this other than I own a Savage Axis XP 25-06 that I love to death. I have owned a Rem 22 rifle that I purchased from a walmart 8yrs ago that I foolishly got rid of.I have shot my brothers Rem 270 and it shot very well but I have to say that when I started shooting my Savage, I was on point more with it than my brothers 270.

Remingtons can be made great rifles with some work, but Savages seem more accurate overall out of the box. I'm a big Savage fan.

I wish the Savage rifles weren't so terrible looking. For the most part they are inexpensive and I know they are great shooters, but I'd never buy one of them ugly buggers.

I don't see where people get that savage is inexpensive. Sure the edge/axis and Stevens 200 is but after that the price goes way up.

I wouldn't pay it

So 1" with the first factory load you tried and 1.5" with the second load is no good??

If that is a new barrel, it will only get better. With hand loads better still. Sounds like a shooter to me.........

Not a new barrel. But I bet I can run the same rounds through my tikka and it shoot them better. Heck I know it will, I've shot them thought my tikka.

Back