Savage or Remington

GrizleyHunter

I got to get me a 204 should I get a Savage or Remington.
Want some thing light weight with plastic type stock.
With a savage could you take of the barrel and also get a 17hrm rimfire barrel or would it be a PITA to switch.

I was going to go back and add that to my original post but got distracted and then you beat me to it.

Good point.......

SAVAGE all the way,
We can work a deal for my last Remmy a VLS 22-250.
Shes not to bad, after I worked the trigger,the bolt face and the bedding tough.
She's as accurate as my Savage Axis 223.
I already see the cloud of tomatoes coming from the Remmy lovers, but thats my own and personal appreciation.
BTW on my avatar with the 2 Yotes, I'm with the 22-250; great caliber not bad of a rifle, but I acheived better accuracy from my Savage's.

Last edited:
They made them. I have one of the first 500 they ever made. It was a special run. They also made them in CDL and Predator versions........

Remmingtons are gehy !!!! GO savage.... easier to build on, less expensive, more accurate out of the box. IMHO!!!

Remmingtons are your grampas guns!!!

let the stones be thrown! I can take it....I think?????

Cdn1

Heard nothing but good things about savage,Heard nothing but good things about grandpa's remington SPS series good luck in youur choice.I don't think they make a remmy sps in .204

Oh boy the old Chevy vs Ford debate. I will say Savage out of the two choices you gave. But overall I would go with a Howa

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterI got to get me a 204 should I get a Savage or Remington.
Want some thing light weight with plastic type stock.
With a savage could you take of the barrel and also get a 17hrm rimfire barrel or would it be a PITA to switch.

Convert a .204 to a 17HMR Rimfire ???? I don't think that can be done by just changing the barrel. You would need a different (rimfire) bolt, and a completely different magazine.

You could, however, convert it to a .17 Remington with a .17 Remington barrel, a Savage barrel wrench, and a go/no-go gague. However, I don't know why you would want to do that, other than to be able to shoot another caliber, when the .204 has much better performance.

.204 2500ft/s and 450ft/lbs at 300yds.

.17 2083ft/s and 241ft/lbs at 300yds.

Why would you buy a rifle that needs work on the bolt body to get it to cycle smooth (Savage)?? Just google Savage Bolt lift issue.

Remington all the way.

why would you buy a rifle that needs a new barrel and trigger to get it to shoot accurate (remington) buy the savage and go shooting you will not regret it.
thumbup1.gif

Back