Rem 700 fires when safety is released...

Never had a problem with a remington rifle or has anybody I have talked to. I have seen a buddies savage rifle with some issues. The crown of the barrel (bussines end) had durs around the boar like the ones when you drill through a piece of metal. Also the back end of the bolt that you unscrew to get at the firing pin was cross threaded. He has had it since new and never messed with that. Found that out when it stopped firing and I was going to clean the spring and pin for him. Took it to a gunsmith and he had to pry it off and rethread it as good as he could. Also found out the firing pin is bent. The gunsmith called savage and they will not replace the bolt so now he has to by a new bolt and firing pin. Also have talked to two other friend that have had to replace their firing pins in their savages. They are now shooting remingtons.

Now you talk about quality control issues.

ive seen those pot metel rings on the back of savage bolts pop off and get lost...pop one off...they go right back on there held on barely by a small bb type bearing..half exposed...

yup i own a 2 savages...and three remmys...

i had a remmy go off i wore the top of the sear down i had the gun rebarreled 2 times it was one of the first black adls that came out...and i cant tell you how many times it was shot....its been a good rifle...

like i said gunked up..or bought used and someone fooled with the trigger...

i tell guys when they buy on before they add a scope..cock it put the safety on and bounce the butt hard on the floor...

if the trigger is too lite it will go off...

even Walker, the guy who designed the trigger, admits that the design is flawed & should have been replaced.

You trust it if you want to. I've replaced mine.

They have never, ever, been able to induce a misfire in court or in front of any "official witnesses". NEVER. And believe me, they have tried over and over and over........

And over.......
laugh.gif

FWIW, I never had a problem with any of mine. That's not relevant. I understand the flaw in the design. A trigger that has been perfect for 30 years may fail tomorrow.

I still have one that needs to be replaced. I'm very careful with it.

And yes, I do know how to properly adjust a Walker trigger, I've done many of them.

I still don't trust them. Neither does their designer.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish
I still have one that needs to be replaced.

I have a new X-Mark I will trade you for it, if you wish.....

my .243 sps went of last week when i flipped off the saftey on a called in coyote. i did'nt relize what happened. thought i musta touhed the trigger. did'nt think much of it till it happened 2 times last monday. discharged 2 times when i flicked off the saftey. just got back from my work bench and took the action off the stock and cleaned the whole area (doused it) with coleman fluid.it was pretty gunky. . this was an un-alltered trigger as it was good when i bought it new this summer
edited to add. it was cold out when this occured

Last edited:
Hmm.. the plot thickens. Unaltered trigger going off. What now? Speak up now oh Wise ones.. Im trying to give the benifit of a doubt here with mine.. but this is strange indeed.. lol I live in warmer weather. "disclaimer" lol

put the safty on and bang it off the floor...also can air sprayed in the sear hole under the bolt will stop this...

mine only went off because i wore it down...its sorta pot metal..the local gun smith been putting metal ones in and taking them down to perfect fit..

I got an idea poeple should not have a gun pointed at any body or be looking down the barrel of any gun when taking of the safty.

And yes cold weather combined with a gunked up gun can make stuff not work rite.

Yep. Not only Remington triggers. Lots of triggers. There just happens to be a lot more Remington triggers out there because the majority of the people choose the 700 over everything else
tt2.gif

Quote:just got back from my work bench and took the action off the stock and cleaned the whole area (doused it) with coleman fluid.it was pretty gunky.

Maybe this had something to do with the AD?

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishwhen the guy who designed the trigger admits that's it's not safe, why do you work so hard to defend it?

Because he's in denial, say something about remmy and here he comes waving his shovel. Bless his heart.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: The VirginianOriginally Posted By: Nikon_Man I think the X-mark was a big improvement, the rest of the rifle is a pos IMO.

Not being a wiseacre here, but can you elaborate on that statement?

Thanks,

Eric

No. He can't. That's all he does around here if you haven't noticed. Steps in, makes a smartazz comment, then steps out. Contibutes nothing....

Smartazz comment.

Lighten up, Francis.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishwhen the guy who designed the trigger admits that's it's not safe, why do you work so hard to defend it?

My question is, how can they show in the video, multiple times, Remington 700s going off when the safety is disengaged? Yet when Jack Belk was asked in court, under oath, if has ever been able to induce an accidental discharge, his answer was "NO".

Seems awfully convenient, if not downright phenomenal, that they can capture multiple accidental discharges on camera for the TV show, yet their own so-called "expert" is unable to produce one.

IMO it is obvious the triggers were improperly adjusted intentionally for the sake of their so-called "documentary"............

Back