Rem 700 fires when safety is released...

Yep.

Funny thing is, all the people whom I know really know guns and shoot them a lot, have no problems whatsoever with the old school 700 triggers and actually prefer them. Myself included.

The biggest problem with them, is they are not idiot proof enough.......

I almost fell prey to the same crap. Even put up a post cuz I got scared, then, came to my sences....I own 2 700s with stock trigges and I did beat them up a little to see if I could set them to go off and they didnt. Only when I pulled the trigger. So, if anybody is scared of theirs, let me know and I will take it off your hands for ya....

Larry the Cable guy had it right, guns don't kill people, husbands who come home early do
lol.gif

Taco Bell scares me more than a Remington trigger
scared.gif
. Never had a Remington AD on me, but did get Taco Bell food poisoning
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: VAhuntrCome to think of it, maybe that's what happened with me and that bottle of Cuervo back in 1988.....
lol.gif

Nah, you're probably just allergic to it like me. I start making funny noises and lose my balance after I finish a bottle
tongue_smilie.gif
. Maybe I'm allergic to the salt and lime combination.

I didn't fall victim to anything, the fact that it has happened more than once is enough for me. Then the fact that there are military officers talking about how this happens frequently and videos of it happeningg. Not to mention the creator of the 700 and many higher up workers came out and admited that there were known problems and still nothing was done. Its just another example of a business taking the cheap route to make more money. I.e. toyota. You can take to it how you please, I'm not forcing my opinions on you. I'm sure they have a ton of great rifles out there, but its not worth me blowing my buddies head off to have a "sweet shooter".

You fell victim IMO.

I have used 700 triggers for years and years. The only thing they ain't, is idiot proof. Easy to improperly adjust. Some shouldn't pick up a screwdriver.

Remington just won another HUGE military contract, by the way. Here is their side of it.

http://www.youtube.com/remingtonarmscompany#p/u/2/RpXivkcyJ1o

Do a search, tons of articles like this one floating around.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunt...del-700-trigger

You could easily make a video and get the owners of well respected firearms firms, top gunsmiths, military and LEO, that would be more than convincing that the triggers are fine.

In the meantime, because of all the bad press, 700s now come with a POS trigger. X-marks are getting tore out on a regular basis and replaced with old school triggers, Timneys, RB, Jewells, etc.

Jack Belk is a POS, and not very convincing to me at all....

Originally Posted By: Nikon_Man I think the X-mark was a big improvement, the rest of the rifle is a pos IMO.

Not being a wiseacre here, but can you elaborate on that statement?

Thanks,

Eric

I've got a bit of a love/hate thing with Rem 700's myself. But all in all they have been safe and accurate rifles in my experiences.

Originally Posted By: The VirginianOriginally Posted By: Nikon_Man I think the X-mark was a big improvement, the rest of the rifle is a pos IMO.

Not being a wiseacre here, but can you elaborate on that statement?

Thanks,

Eric

No. He can't. That's all he does around here if you haven't noticed. Steps in, makes a smartazz comment, then steps out. Contibutes nothing....

Originally Posted By: Nikon_Man I think the X-mark was a big improvement, the rest of the rifle is a pos IMO.

OK, you made a statement, can you back it up?

I've adjusted the triggers on a dozen or so 700's. Haven't had a problem with any of them. I only adjust the pull weight of the trigger. I leave the sear and overtravel screws alone. I also leave the triggers dry, and don't go spraying anything in there that's going to gum up or attract contaminates. I suppose if I put 90 weight gear oil in the crankcase of my trucks engine, then undertorqued my rod bolts, it would likely malfunction too.

You are a smart man. For someone who does not tear apart triggers on a regular basis, or just isn't real familiar with them, that is the way to go.

I wish more people had your common sense......

If you guys trying to adjust the trigger pull on an Xmark, only adjust the front bottom screw, it may work better. I havent had probs with mine since adjustments. Believe me, I will be paying attn on further outings. It still dont feel like a Tikka... But Im giving it a chance..
grin.gif

I was actually able to fix the rest of the stuff Remington passed off on me with their SPS line, the X-mark was the one thing I couldn't fix. Rifle Basix got the job done and I haven't looked back. I was able to bed the forearm of the tupperwear stock and the rust inviting finish got stripped and duracoated, mind you all of the main parts of this SPS will be replaced with time for a ground up build. If I had started with a VS, I probably would still be shooting a factory rifle with that sweet 3 screw Remington trigger. X-mark is a great name for the self adjusting Remington trigger because it gives you something to shoot at after you put a "real" Remington trigger in or an aftermarket.

Back