Rem 700 fires when safety is released...

muskieraider

I just picked up a Rem 700 sps in .17 fireball with x-mark from a member on this site and finally got to sight it in this weekend. It took me all of about 10 seconds to find out about this little issue that the person I bought the gun from failed to tell me about... Needless to say I am a little ticked. Edit: (had my PM's mixed up for a minute. just wanted to add that I didn't think to ask the details of the reasons for selling and if any mods were made to the gun. Important questions to remember if you are purchasing a used firearm.) Seems to shoot decent, and I would like to get it fixed. Could anyone enlighten me on this problem and wheher a gunsmith should be able to fix it or if i need to send it back to remy? Ive searched the forum and havent found much on it. I have read a few threads that said this may occur if the trigger is adjusted improperly and that it was a problem with some older model rems. I am in the process of trying to get some addtnl. info from the person i bought the gun from.

The gun fired when I flipped the safety to the fire position. At least the muzzle was in a safe direction.

Last edited:
Take to a smith. Won't take much for a smith to adjust.

Plus there is a recall on some of the safties and he will know if that is it.

More than likely, it is improperly adjusted.

Personally, I believe X-marks are junk anyway. Replace it and be happy.......

Originally Posted By: muskieraider...took me all of about 10 seconds to find out about this little issue.....I have read a few threads that said this may occur if the trigger is adjusted improperly and that it was a problem with some older model rems.
So... did it fire unintentionaly ?
How did you find out ?
This issue is getting alot of media attention lately...TV show and all.

Originally Posted By: muskieraiderI am in the process of trying to get some addtnl. info from the person i bought the gun from.
Don't bother...just get it fixed if you experienced a problem.
Or is the problem something you only read about?
Fill us in.

PC

I would try to adjust it so there is a little more pull in the trigger and adjust the weight of pull to make it a little heavier. If that doesn't fix it 100% I would send off to a gunsmith.

PC- I plan on keeping the gun, and just wanted a little more info to pass along to whoever will end up doing the fixing on the gun. Also some minor edits to the original post.

have someone who has a clue install an old school 700 trigger in it. Problem fixed.

If you are of the paranoid persuasion, go with a Shilen, RB, or Timney.......

I do like the old school 700 triggers, but I have no experience with the X-mark.

Anyone who has read on here much knows not to ask 2mg about x-marks or Brownings, and I am sure he does have his reasons for his dislike, but others like them so if you can fix it and use it I would try it out, and if you don't like it then go with something else.

I would take the action out of the stock and look at the adjustment screws on the trigger. There should be what looks like glue from a hot glue gun in the allen heads. If this is missing, he messed with the trigger. Here's a decent writeup on adjusting it if you want to try it yourself first:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/how-adjust-new-remington-700-x-mark-pro-trigger-37572/
I would guess there is not enough sear engagement and that is causing the problem. I think if the glue is out of the allen heads that it voids the warranty.

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987I do like the old school 700 triggers, but I have no experience with the X-mark.

Anyone who has read on here much knows not to ask 2mg about x-marks or Brownings, and I am sure he does have his reasons for his dislike, but others like them so if you can fix it and use it I would try it out, and if you don't like it then go with something else.

I hope people understand, I am not "brand loyal" to anyone. Put out a good product, and I will say so. Put out a bad one, and I will probably say so more than once.

Most here feel I am a Remington 700 fan. That may be true, but when they put out a run of bad extractors, or come up with a crappy new trigger, I am not afraid to say so.

It's all about the facts/experiences. Not opinions or emotions........

I adjusted mine yesterday with no mishaps. I only adjusted the trigger weight screw, and got it much lighter. I then did many tests closing the bolt and flicking the safety back and forth with an empty chamber. I then took it out and shot about 10 rounds to get it sighted back in again. Maybe the sear screw has been adjusted poorly? I dont know, but Im gonna keep checking mine, and keep the muzzle in a safe direction. If it misfires, its getting a Timney. Good Luck.

Jewells are great triggers, no doubt, but not my choice for a hunting rifle. They were purposely designed for target shooting, and best used in that regard, IMO.....

Believe it or not my xmark is decent, 2lbs with backing out the weight screw, I took mine clean out, replaced it with a cap screw, didnt like my finger hitting it because it stuck out too far. ed

I posted the same dilema a couple weeks ago . I purchased a brand new 700 Varmint in 2010 in 308 and put about 200 rounds thru it and never went near the trigger. Pull was decent and I liked it . My son and I decided to do some range shooting a couple weeks back and after 2 ten round groups I let it cool down and reloaded . We played with his gun for a few minutes and then I returned to mine to shoot another 5 round group . I placed it on the bags and lined up my shot and when I took it off safe it fired scarring the sh$$t out of me . I unloaded it and pulled the bolt and did a visual check and tried it again . I fired 2 more 5 round groups without issue . Last group I fired 2 rounds and on the third shot when I took it off safe it discharged . I have since bought a Timney for it as I have them on other guns I own . This is the first Remington I have owned brand new . I like the gun and its a keeper for now . I inspected the trigger assy since I bought the Timney and see nothing causing a problem . The stock trigger breaks right at 4lbs on my scale . I thought the trigger issues were mumbo jumbo till it happened to me .

Quote:Jewells are great triggers, no doubt, but not my choice for a hunting rifle. They were purposely designed for target shooting, and best used in that regard, IMO.....

True perhaps, but since all of my rifles seem to eventually wind up on a bench pointing at pds (even my .338 Lapua lol), triggers are one of my pet peeves.

Muskie, since reading your post I have read(on other forums) that adjusting this trigger will void the warranty.
If this is true the seller should have disclosed this to you.
It would have been the right thing to do if he knew about it.
I know you didn't ask but if he is a gentleman he will make you whole.
Good luck.
Thank God nobody was hurt.

PC

Last edited:
You are lucky in that regard, and I'd love to shoot prarie dogs sometime. Even with a 338
scared.gif

For harsher conditions, Jewell would not be my first choice.........

Back