Rem 700 fires when safety is released...

scared.gif
I dont like the talk about these discharges... makes me want to leave my 700 at home...

not sure though what everyone means about the glue in the allen head screw??? If its sold as an adjustable trigger and it is even externally adjustable why would it void the warantee and why wouldnt they make it non-adjustable? or does my SPS Tactical have a different trigger than what is being talked about?

Not to take sides. As I don't know who you bought the gun from. I bought a nice used Rem 700 at a gun shop. About 8-9 years later, quite a few rounds down range, and, more than a couple of deer down; mine started doing the same thing. Thank goodness it happened at the range with the gun pointed down range. The action had not been out of the stock since it's last GOOD cleaning. Which had been quite a while and 30-40 trouble free rounds. And, I had never touched the trigger.
The point being.... He might not have had that problem turn up yet.
Fortunately, It will be a rather simple fix for a knowledgeable person or a gunsmith.

Have an update-- so far I have had difficulty reproducing the problem. The only way I can get it to fire when the safety is flipped is by resting my finger on the trigger and putting only a slight amount of pressure on the trigger when the safety is flipped. It appears that by doing this it causes the trigger to require less than 1/2 or more to make the gun fire as compared to when the safety makes it to the firing position without tripping the mechanism. So now I am wondering if I rested my finger on the trigger when i flipped the switch or not. If i did then lesson learned in that this trigger is much more sensitive than the other triggers I have. And if there is a problem with the gun than hopefully I can reproduce the results and figure it out.

My 700 is factory and I love it. I'm old school and actually like heavy triggers, what I was raised on and used to. I just shoot very often and in tune with my equipment.

ozzy,
What's heavy to you ? Anything over 3.5# is heavy to me on a hunting rig.
If shooting paper or long range stuff anything over 1.5# is heavy.

the Walker trigger is an accident waiting to happen. I have remingtons, I like them, but the trigger is a faulty design.

adjustment is irrelevant, it's a 2 part trigger & unsafe from the get go.

Quote:the Walker trigger is an accident waiting to happen. I have remingtons, I like them, but the trigger is a faulty design.

adjustment is irrelevant, it's a 2 part trigger & unsafe from the get go.
It has been proven over and over and in court. Remington has even calculated approximately how often it may happen and determined it would be cheaper to pay claims.
As it kept coming up they created recall program.. This in part costs the customer money too.
My rem mis fired New with no adjustments. It's not mine anymore.

My Tikka's and Sako's have adjustable triggers down to 2 lbs where they bottom out at the limit of adjustment with no misfires. no risk no warnings, no reports. They are a very nice trigger.

The Howa has warnings about adjusting below 3.5 lbs as being unsafe.

How refreshing.
I was afraid I'd log on only to see another of the redundant "17HMR, or Barrel Break In" threads.

Seriously guys.
Isn't it time to let this horse R.I.P.?

most are gunked up...shut the bolt pull the bolt up some you will see the sear..its in a tiny hole...under the bolt....thats the problem most guys have no idea where it is they spray cleaners that gunk..and they dont clean that area the whole time they own the rifle..if your nervous pull the scope off put the gun on safe and bang the butt pad on the floor if it goes off pull the action and barrel out and clean the sear...if it still goes off it could be worn..and need repaired many 700's have been used a lot..and could be worn

Old 700 and 600 triggers, safe and light pull..........with spring change. Dozens *buds and I) with no problems.

My last 600 was wobbly in parts, so only went down (after spring change) to a safe 28 oz.

For a walking varmint rig that was OK, but a little heavy.

Will add that my buds and I are also of higher than normal touch sense. We worked for years under microscopes.

Not everybody has fine touch sense (it can degrade over time too), for those folks a heavier trigger aint a bad idea.

How is it that quality control don't catch something like that...When you use your insurance as the first line of defense that's how corporations go out of bussiness.

The old style 700 triggers were and are great triggers,the spring that made the trigger lighter is also the return spring, lets say the trigger is on safe, and you sight the gun and pull the trigger, no harm, now if that trigger is dirty or gunked up from wd40 or old oil that spring will not return, making the gun fire when the saftey is released. Now to help this, Do not oil the trigger, dry is good, most shooters i know use lighter fluid for cleaning even the jewels and shilins, oil will also thicken in very cold weather giving the same results as a weak return spring, keep them dry. ed

I thought all triggers were supposed to fire when the safety was released?
huh.gif
Now if you get one that doesn't fire when the safety is released, that is a problem. Or one that fires when the safety is not released, that is also a big problem
laugh.gif

I actually just watched the documentary on this problem the other day on tv. I don't remember the channel or even what the name of it was, but it was atleast an hr long of them talking about how they have known about this problem for a very long time. They even had videos of military snipers recreating this same thing that happend on their govt issue rifles from remington. There are many people who have died from this problem and a lot of the families were on the show. That was enough to convince me to never own a remington rifle. I was suprised tok hear this problem is still going on. Seriously remington...tighten up.

Originally Posted By: BCyoterThere are many people who have died from this problem and a lot of the families were on the show. That was enough to convince me to never own a remington rifle.

Congrats, you just fell victim to leftist network propaganda.

How many people have died from this problem? Do tell......

Back