Rem 700 fires when safety is released...

Bottom line: I prefer scientific arguments.

People can trust or not trust the trigger, for whatever reasons they want.

They don't have to be based on truth or science to be good enough of a reason for their personal choice.

But if somebody is going to point a finger and make definitive claims, they darn well better be able to back it up....with real data, not some bullcrap incident rate of unproven exact fault.

And it looks like a lot of people can't (here or in the courtroom).

I still say with the popularity of sniper movies, documentaries and games, mixed with the current political climate.............that the left is hyping a miniscule issue at best, to demonize the most poplar bolt gun (since it falls outside of previous assault rifle bans).

I don't trust anything, new or used.

I'm suspect of any rifle, but due to popularity (and the ability of adjustment) I am suspect of used Remingtons more.

Not out of some design issue, but out of people issues.

Really, shouldn't the stupid folks who can't keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction just spill hot coffee at the drivethrough on their crotches and get their 15 minutes of fame (and millions)?

What happens is the trigger won't pull anymore. I already gave up on it. It is a very fine line between a POS and absolute crap..........grins

I found that out. The bolt wouldnt engage.. I set the trigger back to where it worked and left it alone. Its lighter than 15*s now.. but.. well you know..
grin.gif

This whole deal reminds me of when they made the j-lock. Only now, instead of having to buy a new firing pin assembly with each new 700, you have to buy a trigger
cursing.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunAnother thing that is seemingly odd to me is that I haven't heard a word about any of these "issues" in many of years. Next thing you know, a left-wing "documentary" airs and all of a sudden every other guy on the internet has had it happen. Coincidence?.....

I find the same thing across all the forums I belong to. I haven't posted on any in regards to it but it sure seems this has brought out the "lefties" in the hunting sport. Just say'n. Carry on.......if anyone wants to get rid of their old rem trigger I'd also be happy to trade a brand new never used X-mark for it.

AD's are not limited to Remington firearms.

I have personally seen a Ruger hand gun double tap on its own.

And just the other day, my friend was shooting a Savage 110. When he went to chamber a round and closed the bolt, the gun fired. The safety was off, but I don’t trust any mechanical safety. We opened and closed the bolt a few time and about 50% of the time, the firing pin would drop and you could hear the 'click'. It wouldn’t happen when you pushed the safety off, or with the safety engaged.

Also, I have seen a Winchester lever gun go off when the person carrying it was standing still. The gun was at the 'half cock' or safe position. The simple fact of life with firearms is that they WILL happen. The fact that there is MILLIONS of Remington’s with the walker trigger means that there will be a more frequent occurrence simply because there are more available for an AD to happen.

I am only 25 years old, and have seen plenty of cases where firearm did something they were not designed to do. Coincidently, it has never been a Remington.

Bottom line, NEVER POINT THE MUZZEL AT ANYTHING YOU DONT INTEND TO SHOOT!!

Half cock notch offered enough strike? Or did the gun that was on half cock get pulled off it by clothing or other?

Or was the gun thought to be on half cock, but wasn't (just hung up temporarily in a non full cock position?

Also, was this a well worn rig, or one that had some stock work or mechanical stuff done to it recently?

Just askin'.

Send it to a Remington Authorized Repair Center (ie Rem approved gunsmith). He might fix it but he might just replace the trigger.
Someone that owned it before you must have decided to "adjust" the trigger AND didn't have a clue what they were doing. That is a very bad combination especially when they screw it up and then sell the rifle.

well, it happened again 3 times today at the range. as soon as i released the safety-BOOM.
w00t.gif
. i doused it last week with coleman gas hoping that would cure it but it did not. i just cleaned the factory sealant out of the trigger screw and stiffened up the trigger a bit. have tried it many times in the past 15-20 minutes and it has not had a failure yet.

theres diagrams for adjusting the trigger on the net the adjustments are made in small adjustments...i would make sure i put a trigger in it if i sold it.....the next owner may not be carefull with it...hope ya got it fixed...

I bought my uncles 700 30.06 from him in the late 90s. He and I both experienced the trigger/safety issue. He took it some where to have it looked at. he thought it might be a head space problem. Who ever looked at it never did find anything wrong with it.

After I bought it, it happened to me right when I was getting ready to hand it over to a buddy who was borrowing it. Luckily there wasn't a round in the chamber.

I gave him a different rifle and took that one apart the next day. First thing that came to mind was sear engagement was not enough. When I got it apart the engagement looked ok.

I took it apart, cleaned it and gave it a little more sear engagement. Never did have another problem with it. Sold it a few years later.

After that, I dont trust safety's any more. I always point it towards the ground when loading and unloading. I wont chamber a round until I'm settled in my spot.

Back