How accurate does that rifle have to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1/4 MOA rifles don't always have to set a guy back a months pay. I bought a savage 10 fp years ago that will still shoot right in there with its favorite load. It won't/can't do it with every load, and it took me a while to find this load it likes so well, but for what I would call a common mans' gun it shoots better than I could have hoped for. It has got in the neighborhood of 7500-8000 rounds down the pipe and its showing quite a little wear in the throat and first couple inches of the rifling, but it is not done yet. This rifle has really made me come to think that anything over .5 MOA is not quite good enough for the type of prairie dog shooting I do.

You think these are stupid opinionated questions????? He's got the chambering, make & stock fiquered out. LOOK OUT OPTICS FORUM. Does the price of a scope really show better clarrity? How about power range, retical, brand, mil/moa, turret type... These are all things you guys need to be thinking about!

Originally Posted By: obaro1/4 MOA rifles don't always have to set a guy back a months pay. I bought a savage 10 fp years ago that will still shoot right in there with its favorite load. It won't/can't do it with every load, and it took me a while to find this load it likes so well, but for what I would call a common mans' gun it shoots better than I could have hoped for. It has got in the neighborhood of 7500-8000 rounds down the pipe and its showing quite a little wear in the throat and first couple inches of the rifling, but it is not done yet. This rifle has really made me come to think that anything over .5 MOA is not quite good enough for the type of prairie dog shooting I do.

Mind me asking what chambering you have 8k rounds on & it still shoots .5 or better moa? I can't get one to do that.

.223, matter of fact, there is another pd shooter who hangs out here some that shoots savage 10 fp models and claims to have shot 3x's that many rounds and his still shoot sub MOA. He has always used moly if I remember his posts right. I am hoping to get another 2500 or so rounds through it before it quits, but that maybe wishful thinking. I don't ever load for max velocity but rather accuracy, and that may have been helping me out. Like I said, it doesn't do it with every load, but with 68 grain BTHP hornady bullets, fed 205 primers, and 24 grains of TAC powder it shoots very well for me.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeYou think these are stupid opinionated questions????? He's got the chambering, make & stock fiquered out. LOOK OUT OPTICS FORUM. Does the price of a scope really show better clarrity? How about power range, retical, brand, mil/moa, turret type... These are all things you guys need to be thinking about!

I knew what scope I was going to use before I even started "parts shopping".....:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: obaro.223, matter of fact, there is another pd shooter who hangs out here some that shoots savage 10 fp models and claims to have shot 3x's that many rounds and his still shoot sub MOA. He has always used moly if I remember his posts right. I am hoping to get another 2500 or so rounds through it before it quits, but that maybe wishful thinking. I don't ever load for max velocity but rather accuracy, and that may have been helping me out. Like I said, it doesn't do it with every load, but with 68 grain BTHP hornady bullets, fed 205 primers, and 24 grains of TAC powder it shoots very well for me.

I had the opportunity to spend lots of time emailing and speaking on the phone to a smith today....whom I think is going to build me the rifle I want...and he stated the same things as you say. A 223 shooting the heavier weigh slugs and because IT CANT drive them to "hyper velocity" like say a 22-250AI might be able to...will allow the barrel to last as long as you have stated. He said jack up the speeds to hyper space speed and the barrel waves bye-bye to you

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart35724000 rounds from one rifle does sound impressive.Especially in a centerfire.

What me thinks!
scared.gif

5spd is the one who has the 223 with all the rounds through it. But I think he said there was more then that.

Forgive me fellas, as I know virtually diddly squat about anything...But I know less than that about rimfires. Can you even get 24,000 out of a .22LR with out degredation?

Chupa

Chupa I'm no pro but im quite sure you could. As long as the gun was properly maintained.

Before i rebarreled my dads 10/22 it had to of had close to 20,000 through it and it still shot minute of gopher out to 50-60 yards decently. It didnt need a new barrel either i just wanted one for it.

Noowwww, Chupa, don't sell yourself short, someone may say something about golf. As for barrel degradation the gunshop/smith I deal with a lot has one of the Hawke borescopes and we ran it down my savage tube about a year ago, (roughly 6000-6500 rounds down it then) and, like a said earlier, there was significant amount of the throat and first 2 inches of the rifling eroded. They let me look at it and compare it to a new rifle and the difference was pretty impressive. I asked what they would allow me on trade for my good broke in barrel and they thought I was just being a comedian. I told them that a horse that had been used a bunch for the last 3 years was worth quite a little more than a new colt and a gun should be the same, but again, just more laughing.

Originally Posted By: obaroNoowwww, Chupa, don't sell yourself short, someone may say something about golf. As for barrel degradation the gunshop/smith I deal with a lot has one of the Hawke borescopes and we ran it down my savage tube about a year ago, (roughly 6000-6500 rounds down it then) and, like a said earlier, there was significant amount of the throat and first 2 inches of the rifling eroded. They let me look at it and compare it to a new rifle and the difference was pretty impressive. I asked what they would allow me on trade for my good broke in barrel and they thought I was just being a comedian. I told them that a horse that had been used a bunch for the last 3 years was worth quite a little more than a new colt and a gun should be the same, but again, just more laughing.
LOL!

Sub MOA (.5) is the standard for me in centerfire and always try to get smaller but if a rifle won't shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with today's technology it's down the road! No need to spend $1000+ for a rifle to shoot sub MOA when a $300 rifle will do it.

Just my thoughts!

Originally Posted By: dmpowderSub MOA (.5) is the standard for me in centerfire and always try to get smaller but if a rifle won't shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with today's technology it's down the road! No need to spend $1000+ for a rifle to shoot sub MOA when a $300 rifle will do it.

Just my thoughts!

I can do ONE shot SMOA...once in a while even get TWO shots SMOA......:)

All kidding aside though...I could care less about how tight a group a rifle shoots AS LONG AS the FIRST SHOT goes exactly where I want it...Regardless of the yardage whether it be 50 yd or 350 yards...I want it "dead center" the very first shot. 1/2 inch; 5 shot groups at 300yds, 8 inches to the right and 4 inches low dont show me jack squat

Last edited:
Why not... This thread is going to #e!! anyway...

Originally Posted By: dmpowderSub MOA (.5) is the standard for me in centerfire and always try to get smaller but if a rifle won't shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with today's technology it's down the road! No need to spend $1000+ for a rifle to shoot sub MOA when a $300 rifle will do it.

Please please PLEASE... Post 3-5shot groups (or 5-3shot your choice) of back to back groups, same piece of paper, no covers, no cropping; with your of the shelf $300 rifle.

Originally Posted By: sully2
All kidding aside though...I could care less about how tight a group a rifle shoots AS LONG AS the FIRST SHOT goes exactly where I want it...Regardless of the yardage whether it be 50 yd or 350 yards...I want it "dead center" the very first shot. 1/2 inch; 5 shot groups at 300yds, 8 inches to the right and 4 inches low dont show me jack squat

Unless the rifle will do it EVERY time, it's never going to do it on the "first shot every time". Try to shoot a small group one shot at a time, 5 days in a row... Good luck with that being tighter than shooting all 5 is same conditions.

Edit: It is possible that a rifle w bedding problem (that's not always the problem) may shoot a better group, than same rifle, 5 separate shots. However, the finely tuned rifle will out shoot every time; 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back