How accurate does that rifle have to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farm out fer sure!
You doods are right arm.
thumbup1.gif

Technically,,i like sub moa from everything i bench shoot,,even if only slightly...then at BEST i will be moa up to 2 moa from the field....here,,i just never have many reasons to shoot anything living much over 200 yards,,,as long as its bigger than a 4 inch vital...well ya catch my drift.

X

I Use my AR 15 RRA PP .223 Rem. and my Ruger 22-250 on P dogs and sage rats @ from point blank range to 300Yds or so, that boils down to under 1/2 MOA and smaller. My Big game rifles ( deer and Elk & Bear ) 1" MOA or under. Yote Killer 5/8" at least.

There you go Sully.

What do you think is acceptable accuracy for P dogs and big game, Hit a 10 inch paper plate at 50 YDS 2 out of 5 times using a Lead Sled off a concrete shooting bench.
thumbup.gif

But the guys are right you sound like you are looking for a fight.
thumbdown.gif
tt2.gif

DAB

Last edited:
You're asking for a finite answer to a subjective question. In finite terms It HAS to be accurate enough to hit what it's aimed at. Subjectively, the shooter needs to be satisfied with it's accuracy.

My buddy has an 7mm STW in a Rem 700. At 100 yds, it shoots ok. Bout 1" or so, but at 200 yds it shoots less then 1". Dont ask me how or why, thats how it stabilizes the bullet, I guess. (160 gr Sierra GK ~3000 FPS)

With that said, I like 1/4" groups. I dont own any rifles that are over $1000 in value. Some of these rifle packages I see on line that are upwards of $5000, [beeep]? That one doesn't make sense to me.

My Dad still kills deer with a Rem 700 that he bought in the early 70's. He once told me $110 for the rifle, $20 for the scope, $10 for the rings and bases. Heck of a deal for a 40 year deal, huh?

There is an article in one of this year's Varmint Hunters about accuracy. You must consider the size of the kill zone, wind drift of the bullet at speed, accuracy of gun with said ammo, and distance. If you are shooting an MOA gun at an animal with a 4 inch kill zone in no wind, then you are good out to 400 yards or wherever your ammunition's MPBR is. The more accurate the gun, the further you can reach out. Blah blah

Right now Im happy if i can keep all of my flyers under an inch. Im going for consistant 1/2" groups at 100 before im satisfied. Hopefully the gun can do it

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357This should be interestin... BTDT,,
grin.gif

Word

Foshizzle

Originally Posted By: AckmanYou're asking for a finite answer to a subjective question. In finite terms It HAS to be accurate enough to hit what it's aimed at. Subjectively, the shooter needs to be satisfied with it's accuracy.

Im wasnt asking for either a debate or an answer that was actually another question. I simply ased for a DIMENSION...period.

Im wasnt asking for either a debate or an answer that was actually another question. I simply ased for a DIMENSION...period. [/quote]

UH- The 5th Dimension? I think that was a rock/soul band in the 70's.

blushing.gif
S2-It seems that most of your threads of late have been interesting.

I think Tim said it best with 1/2 MOA for varmints & 1 MOA for big game. I would imaging most would agree with that if you HAD to come up with a fiqure.

I want my rifles to shoot the best possible. Depends on what I will be using paticular gun for as to what I'm satisfied with. I can ABSOLUTLY say if you have a gun that shoots really good, your standards (what your satisfied with) will go up. That 'ol gun you used to really like gets pushed to the back of the safe because it's just not as fun. "Only accurate rifles are interesting."

It does get to a point of diminative return. Can many guys shoot 1/2 MOA off a set of sticks? Absoluty not. However, let the same guy lay down on the ground with a bi-pod on the same stand... Instant 1/2 or better shooter (providing he did his homework)! Hope you brought the right gun...

Originally Posted By: coleridge
blushing.gif

Its not the threads...its some of the jerks that have nothing else to do in with their lives that come in and make all sorts of comments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand....such as the one that precedes your last post here.

But never fear...it will come back to haunt them, I guarantee!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
Im wasnt asking for either a debate or an answer that was actually another question. I simply ased for a DIMENSION...period.
Quote:
UH- The 5th Dimension? I think that was a rock/soul band in the 70's.

You have a tough time using the keyboard dont you old fella. You forgot the first quote bracket...you probably forget primers when you reload too....

Last edited:
No it's your attitude. Ask a stupid question prepare for stupid answers. When you ask a question and people answer it the best if their abilities you try to argue the point you are asking about.

Go back and read your posts, the proof is in the pudding. You are the one who answers with sarcasm.

No editing now
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: sully2Originally Posted By: AckmanYou're asking for a finite answer to a subjective question. In finite terms It HAS to be accurate enough to hit what it's aimed at. Subjectively, the shooter needs to be satisfied with it's accuracy.

You seem to be the one debating. Ask a question and people are gonna answer it however they want. You seem to be the one debating. Don't like what they say, doesn't matter......nothing in the rulebook about that. Kind of like fishing, toss out a bait and whatever bites is up to the fish.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyNo it's your attitude. Ask a stupid question prepare for stupid answers. When you ask a question and people answer it the best if their abilities you try to argue the point you are asking about.

Go back and read your posts, the proof is in the pudding. You are the one who answers with sarcasm.

No editing now
wink.gif

There is no attitude expressed at all. I asked a direct question and someone EVERYONE answered directly and sensibly until YOU waded in with your INANE BS. If you dont like the gist of a thread why dont you just pass it bye...??? Im sure others do...but not you ( and a couple more but thank god mighty few)

Word! Well Ive got your "old word"...right here!

Originally Posted By: Ackman
You seem to be the one debating. Ask a question and people are gonna answer it however they want. WHY? dont they have better things to do..evidently you sure dont?
Quote:
You seem to be the one debating. Don't like what they say, doesn't matter......nothing in the rulebook about that. Kind of like fishing, toss out a bait and whatever bites is up to the fish.

Im not debating anything. I asked a direct question and many many answered like they had their facility' s but a few such as you love to answer in some far off dream world wording.

Notjing says you have to answer a thread AT ALL...but why answer it in a manner that doesnt amount to jack **** as far as the world is concerned. Pass that crack pipe over to your buddy...he's begging for a hit off of it

Sorry to be so late getting back to you on this...I had to sweep out some trash....:)

Originally Posted By: coleridge
blushing.gif

I think Tim said it best with 1/2 MOA for varmints & 1 MOA for big game. I would imaging most would agree with that if you HAD to come up with a fiqure.

I want my rifles to shoot the best possible. Depends on what I will be using paticular gun for as to what I'm satisfied with. I can ABSOLUTLY say if you have a gun that shoots really good, your standards (what your satisfied with) will go up. That 'ol gun you used to really like gets pushed to the back of the safe because it's just not as fun. "Only accurate rifles are interesting."

It does get to a point of diminative return. Can many guys shoot 1/2 MOA off a set of sticks? Absoluty not. However, let the same guy lay down on the ground with a bi-pod on the same stand... Instant 1/2 or better shooter (providing he did his homework)! Hope you brought the right gun...

Yeah..I think the 1MOA and 1/2MOA are the most practical goals to "aim" for.....one reason being is $$$$. 1 MOA can cost a guy $500 new....1/4 MOA is gonna set him back a WAD!
Im the sort though that if my old shooter is far outdone by the NEW shooter....I'll work on the old one and try and get it up to the newer ones standards. Shotguns...flyrods...motorhomes...etc. I like to tinker...

I don't think people are going to take too kindly to your "Internet threats" and I'd love for you to go find my BS that I supposedly posted .

Might I suggest some self help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back