Feral cats

Originally Posted By: mike_bI did my scouting tonight & found a female plus 3. Now the games begin.... How do you guys feel about them small ones?

Down side is they are smaller (harder to hit)... but on the plus side is that they move slower
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: mike_bI did my scouting tonight & found a female plus 3. Now the games begin.... How do you guys feel about them small ones?

"Nits make lice". I know, it's horribly politically incorrect but it fits much better here than when it was used originally.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: mike_bI did my scouting tonight & found a female plus 3. Now the games begin.... How do you guys feel about them small ones?

Down side is they are smaller (harder to hit)... but on the plus side is that they move slower
lol.gif

These little suckers are quick! Personally I've never seen small ones move this fast. I did get one today with my 357 while doing some work on the driveway with my tractor.

Last edited:
Allright, you guys are just irreverent enough I'll tell you just about one of the funniest things I think I've ever seen, ever.

I grew up hunting with one of the most demented hillbillies I've ever known, he was a card. His mom was a Jehovah's witness but none of the rest of the family went to her church with her. His dad was a wiry tough as shoe leather country boy from Arkansas construction foreman type.

We went out hunting on a Saturday morning across from our houses in a big walnut orchard. A huge feral cat ran up a tree, so Andy climbed the tree and was going to catch it, why I have no idea. He is reaching for it in a limb above him when this big old tom jumps in his face and rakes the heck out of him. He comes down major pissed off and grabs his shotgun and goes down to the tree it had run up and shoots it down out of that tree.

Now he's looking at the size of the cat and he starts digging it's eye out with his finger. I'm asking him what he's doing that for and he says you'll see. He puts that eye in his shirt pocket and starts digging the other one out. I'm grossed out calling him names, he sticks the other eye in his pocket too.

So we keep shooting doves and headed back to his house. His mom dad and sister are playing a dice game at the kitchen table. Andy walks up to the table, grabs two dice, and says "dad, I'll bet you five bucks I can roll cat eyes the first roll.

See where this is headed? I'm thinking uh oh, this is going to be bad.

His dad says, Boolsh1t, you're on for five bucks. Andy pulls these nasty eyes out of his pocket, flops them down on the table where they stick instead of rolling, and says cat eyes, you owe me five bucks.

Everyone was stunned, his dad got up way quicker than I'd have believed possible and knocked him clean across the living room.

I was pretty subdued at the time, but the retelling of that story has had many a person in hysterics, especially those who knew Andy.

Nine so far this year. Next in line is a big old orange, wooly looking tom I had a crack at tonight. Would have been a done deal except my truck was behind that cat and I didn't want to ventilate any part of it with the 22-250 and 50GR VMAX with a ricochet. Tomorrow is another day. Got his pattern down(he was in the burn barrel). 12 gauge and BB shot comming up.

Last edited:
Good buddy of mine plows snow for some extra cash every winter. He called me up asking if i'd mind clearing the side walks and salting. Well we where heading out to a job in the country (prime kittie killing) when we see a cat stalking something on the the side of the road. My buddy looks at me and just says watch this, usually those words never end well but this time they did. He swerves over drops the plow and smokes the cat at 60mph. Now im not sure how many of you have wittnessed a cat being hit by a snowplow at 60, but let me tell you the laughter that came after watching it fly into the air some 15ft and seeing it land behind you in the rear veiw mirror is priceless. We did our duty and i assume fed some lucky valtures for a nice tenderized cat.

I've requested a layoff next Thursday & the next job I lined up is 2 weeks away, so I will have some time. Time to get the female cat & babies! I thought she was plus 3! I got 1 last weekend & now have the other 2, plus another. So, she was plus 4! With me home for several days, order will be restored.

Back in the early 70's when I was in high school and trapping I had a market for cat fur,,, a local guy collected pollen from plants in the summer for an allergy research center and they would take all the cat hides I could come up with which wasn't all that many but I trapped a lot of little patches of brush and little creeks close to town but any cat that far out wasn't a pet but a quail eating machine and I would shoot/trap several a year and get 5 bucks and didn't have to skin just take he would wash hang to dry then shear them. Looking back on it no telling how much they were making on me.

My most favorite thing to do is run Beagles but every person in my county sets out there cat thay dont want anymore at my house and we all know that a cat is hard on the Rabbit population. So i average killing at least 2 or 3 a month. It is a constant battle with these stinking things. I have a starting pen to start puppys in, and i have it stocked with wild rabbits. I have ran electric fence arround the top of it to keep the darn things out, but that dont always work. i caught one in there the other day, but the 17 took care of him. KILL THEM ALL

I live on a nice farm with a gravel pit not too far from the county road. Not much going on in th egravel business these days so it's now become a favorite drop off point for unwanted cats. I dont dislike any pet type animal {pit bulls aside} but they dont belong in the wild. Period. Not sure I get the previous comments about having a collar...does the collar stop pets from killing baby rabbits??? Doubt it. It dont stop me from killing them either. So, here's what I have been doing to get the message across that this aint the place to drop off fluffy. I shoot them, trap them or my pet a little Jack Daniel's terrier that's gotten rather good at taking care of cats gets them. I then take the dead cat out to the county road and lay it on the side with a cheesy little sign that says "Free Cat" with an arrow pointing down to it. It took about three times of doing this. I know the owners drive this road...they actually have to. They see what has become of fluffy and think twice. I am waiting for one to knock on my door so we can "discuss" this.

Its too bad shooting cats is so politicly incorrect, or there would probably be a nice market for a nice, primed-up winter cat hide. Think about it, where else can you find such fancy and varied patterns within the same species!

Originally Posted By: jacksondoghunterIts too bad shooting cats is so politicly incorrect, or there would probably be a nice market for a nice, primed-up winter cat hide. Think about it, where else can you find such fancy and varied patterns within the same species!

You'll get more hassles in this state for shooting a cat than you would a person.

1 more for my total! I took a ride to check out some beaver ponds today. More like a ride & a hike! The 22 mag single six has another notch on it's grips. There was a nice size tom stalking something. That is until I got him in my sights. Left handed & off hand. After coming home & having some extra time, I decide to go back & hike in the back way with the MKIII hunter. I got a small female so,make that 2 for the total! On another note, the mother & kittens here have been elusive as [beeep]! I should leave in the mornings like usual & park my truck else where,.then set up. They're always within 50' of the house. I will get the dirty vermin though, that's what counts.

Last edited:
Back