Feral cats

Same thing around here, no collar or chasing game or stock animals= dead. Farmers are pretty particular about dogs chasing cows, the trial is over pretty quick!

Many ranchers and farmers here keep a basically feral cat population to keep the rodents down. Rodents do more damage to grain and things in outbuildings than cats ever will. I know some farmers that would be awful mad if you shot their barn cats.

Originally Posted By: Carlos HalfcockMany ranchers and farmers here keep a basically feral cat population to keep the rodents down. Rodents do more damage to grain and things in outbuildings than cats ever will. I know some farmers that would be awful mad if you shot their barn cats.

I have to tell you about the lab my tenant has that lives in the apartment over the second garage. He's used him for coyotes, racoons, and bobcats for years. Old Red encountered a young mountain lion that didn't seem to know he was supposed to stay in the tree, he brought it to Red and opened his stomach up. Unfortunately that wasn't the only casualty as the dog lost half his penis.

Halfcock would be pretty appropriate as a name for that dog.

Ever read the book "101 Uses For a Dead Cat"? It's for real. Look it up. I sent my buddy a copy many years ago when he was in the Air Force and stationed in South Korea. He needed some light-hearted entertainment.

When he got home, he slipped out to my truck and put a bumper sticker on it that read "I love cats, dead ones." Sometime later the neighbor girl walked past me one day while I was working in the driveway and said "shame on you." I didn't know what the heck I had done until she pointed out the sticker to me.

Some buddy he turned out to be. LOL.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Ever read the book "101 Uses For a Dead Cat"? It's for real. Look it up. I sent my buddy a copy many years ago when he was in the Air Force and stationed in South Korea. He needed some light-hearted entertainment.

When he got home, he slipped out to my truck and put a bumper sticker on it that read "I love cats, dead ones." Sometime later the neighbor girl walked past me one day while I was working in the driveway and said "shame on you." I didn't know what the heck I had done until she pointed out the sticker to me.

A friend gave me a copy of that book (it figures), and it's a riot!

My FIL has his Dads old "cat killer" He used to put a brad in the stock for each one killed. That turned into a very ornate and elaborate pictures and designs. I'll try to get a picture up...there are A BUNCH of Brads on there.

2946f021c981891951ae400d16aecfbc.jpg

857b9ac11691f53592d45e1bc903c63e.jpg

5242e9dc7589eb7bbca3894d8d629b3e.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Hey! If you happen across a copy, this feller in the Air Force, in South Korea, wouldn't mind some light hearted humor...lol

lol

when i was going to college in iowa i rented a farm house about 35 min east of des moines. the house sat on 500 acres about 1/2 wooded, 1/2 crp and it was loaded with cats from all around. the crp held a lot of phesants as no one hunted them and i never hunted that property till the last week of season to give them a break.

my first real predator calling experiance my father came down from mn to bird hunt and he bought me a johnny stewart cassette caller. well a couple min into the stand about 100 yards behind the house i spot a feral kitty coming accross the hillside on some low grass old pasture type ground. one 223 round later that thing was more than DRT!

my dad never laughed so hard and it wasnt the last feral i drillled on that property, not by a very long shot! i also cleaned a ton of them out with traps. the land owner showed up one day cause he wanted a couple trees taken down and i was going to help him. well i forgot i had a couple laying behind the old shed and sure enough he seen them right off. he asked what the deal was so i thought "great, ill be looking for a new place to rent tonight!"

not to be, he said he shot a few off with his shotgun the year before! lol

every farmer thinks they are needed, but they dont realize the damage they do to small game and song birds!

michael

Cats make good bait for trapping also,I dont like cats also.
I live on a farm and they were always drop off.The cows would lay on them. We call thet pancake kittie.

The past 2 years I've dispatched 12 Kitties & at least 20 dogs. Living in the country lends itself to the civilized folks from town to rid themselves of unwanted pets. My 17hmr & 22 mag pistol have served well for these situations. I don't do the [beeep] thing, swamps are full of turtles wanting some variety in their diet. Then there is the buzzards & crows needing to eat too. My neighbor usually gets the drop on cats. His large horse farm has enough grain to attract smaller bait animals for cats. Even better, he is a veterinarian & uses different tactics. The ends are all the same though. Usually 2 to 3 months after every gift giving holiday is prime time for target practice to pay off.

Originally Posted By: walkertrapperCats make good bait for trapping also,I dont like cats also.
I live on a farm and they were always drop off.The cows would lay on them. We call thet pancake kittie.

House cats are a secret ingredient in fox bait that I guess isn't too good a secret. C
House cat gives off a strong smell even when frozen. Mixed with some woodchuck and fish oil makes a tasty smell for any fox.

Now that's funny ! I bought that book for my ex-wife about 20 years ago. I guess it's still going strong, despite those PETA folks. I never did try out some of those, like making a hat rack from one, but I did use them to catch a few fox through the years.

Originally Posted By: CenturionOriginally Posted By: walkertrapperCats make good bait for trapping also,I dont like cats also.

House cats are a secret ingredient in fox bait that I guess isn't too good a secret. C
House cat gives off a strong smell even when frozen. Mixed with some woodchuck and fish oil makes a tasty smell for any fox.

i know of at least one major lure dealer who buys cats. bobcat meat is same thing but expensive and sometimes difficult to get. i so use bobcat as deboning a bunch of kitties isnt something my wife would be too excited about

it isnt that the cat puts off a strong odor really, cause with the solution ingredients it is overpowered by a long ways, but its a great stable base with uinique odors. everything eats cats, including other cats!bobcats are very canniblistic and the large toms will find and kill/eat kittens to trick the females into coming back into heat

Awhile back 16 cats went missing in under an hour not to sure what happened . I know lead fever is a big deal down here
grin.gif
.we have a big problem that everyone ignores . Feral numbers are much higher now since my lab past away

Originally Posted By: mike_bThe past 2 years I've dispatched 12 Kitties & at least 20 dogs. Living in the country lends itself to the civilized folks from town to rid themselves of unwanted pets. My 17hmr & 22 mag pistol have served well for these situations. I don't do the [beeep] thing, swamps are full of turtles wanting some variety in their diet. Then there is the buzzards & crows needing to eat too. My neighbor usually gets the drop on cats. His large horse farm has enough grain to attract smaller bait animals for cats. Even better, he is a veterinarian & uses different tactics. The ends are all the same though. Usually 2 to 3 months after every gift giving holiday is prime time for target practice to pay off.

That was just short of being incoherent, not quite all, I sort of got some of the gist of what you were trying to say but not quite.

Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: mike_bThe past 2 years I've dispatched 12 Kitties & at least 20 dogs. Living in the country lends itself to the civilized folks from town to rid themselves of unwanted pets. My 17hmr & 22 mag pistol have served well for these situations. I don't do the [beeep] thing, swamps are full of turtles wanting some variety in their diet. Then there is the buzzards & crows needing to eat too. My neighbor usually gets the drop on cats. His large horse farm has enough grain to attract smaller bait animals for cats. Even better, he is a veterinarian & uses different tactics. The ends are all the same though. Usually 2 to 3 months after every gift giving holiday is prime time for target practice to pay off.

That was just short of being incoherent, not quite all, I sort of got some of the gist of what you were trying to say but not quite.

You're an idiot.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: mike_bThe past 2 years I've dispatched 12 Kitties & at least 20 dogs. Living in the country lends itself to the civilized folks from town to rid themselves of unwanted pets. My 17hmr & 22 mag pistol have served well for these situations. I don't do the [beeep] thing, swamps are full of turtles wanting some variety in their diet. Then there is the buzzards & crows needing to eat too. My neighbor usually gets the drop on cats. His large horse farm has enough grain to attract smaller bait animals for cats. Even better, he is a veterinarian & uses different tactics. The ends are all the same though. Usually 2 to 3 months after every gift giving holiday is prime time for target practice to pay off.

You're an idiot.

And you have no sense of humor, between the two I'll run with you thinking I'm an idiot, it's preferable.

Watch the personal attacks there buddy, there's no call for that.

Last edited:
When did we become 'buddies'? And your post was most certainly a personal attack on the other poster. Typical hypocritical liberal mindset.

Back