Feral cats

WOODY: You DID insult the writer of those comments. Based on many of your posts where you declare freedom of thought and exercising your first amendment rights?

Aren't you being hipocritical?

I think(exercising my rights to free thought and first amendment) that you owe MIKE_B a heart felt apology.

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrWOODY: You DID insult the writer of those comments. Based on many of your posts where you declare freedom of thought and exercising your first amendment rights?

Aren't you being hipocritical?

I think(exercising my rights to free thought and first amendment) that you owe MIKE_B a heart felt apology.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

I'm not at all insulted by anything some genius from California has to say. I guess once someone has any trouble with words due to things out of their control they shouldn't speak anymore. Much less post anything on an internet forum.

Last edited:
Shooting cats is like "going green" & saving one small patch of the earth at a time. They screw up every ecosystem they take into their range as free roaming socially acceptable predator/vermin.

Originally Posted By: Carlos HalfcockMany ranchers and farmers here keep a basically feral cat population to keep the rodents down. Rodents do more damage to grain and things in outbuildings than cats ever will. I know some farmers that would be awful mad if you shot their barn cats.

Let them be mad. As far as I'm concerned, once his barn cat leaves the barn and is in my back yard, it just turned feral.
It will be DRT due to lead poisoning.

Originally Posted By: tincanAs far as I'm concerned, once his barn cat leaves the barn and is in my back yard, it just turned feral.

It happens just like that...quickly...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mike_bI'm not at all insulted by anything some genius from California has to say. I guess once someone has any trouble with words due to things out of their control they shouldn't speak anymore. Much less post anything on an internet forum.

I will apologize, that came out meaner than I meant it, looking back at it it hadn't come off like I intended.

Please accept a heartfelt apology, I wouldn't offer up one that wasn't meant.

Don't sweat it Wood, it's in the past. Thank you & apology accepted. Let's keep talking kitty sniping. This is the only place I've found on the net to discuss this topic.

Yep, we got alot of feral cats where I live also. A few years back, farmers wanted some around their barns, not anymore, they want them gone.

my mom live on edge of town on 100 acres un molested no roads andthing just over grown except for like five acres where house id and has neibor hoods bording it on one side its loaded with deer so i sit me u a stand and see lots of deer but something was missing i figured out what it was no birds rabbits squirrels anything . got to noticeing all the trails coming out of neibor hoods just wore down with heavy traffic and that when i started seeing cat everywhere
mom had one at house she liked so i pulled out a old predator extreme i had with and artitcle in it about them and let her read it it game on after that she told me to start with her pet and dont stop shooting first trip out i got 19 in a bout 75 yard stretch last week got the dog catcher bring me some traps im gonna eradicate them

my mom live on edge of town on 100 acres un molested no roads andthing just over grown except for like five acres where house id and has neibor hoods bording it on one side its loaded with deer so i sit me u a stand and see lots of deer but something was missing i figured out what it was no birds rabbits squirrels anything . got to noticeing all the trails coming out of neibor hoods just wore down with heavy traffic and that when i started seeing cat everywhere
mom had one at house she liked so i pulled out a old predator extreme i had with and artitcle in it about them and let her read it it game on after that she told me to start with her pet and dont stop shooting first trip out i got 19 in a bout 75 yard stretch last week got the dog catcher bring me some traps im gonna eradicate them

Your mom told you to shoot her cat!!! Good woman, thats funny.

2yrs ago i took my brother out calling yotes, we were still after his first one. He had my .223 and i had his .22lr, I set the caller on top of a brush pile 20yds away. After 10min of luscious lips here comes a kitty. Once it stuck its nose in the speaker i turned the call off looked at it in the scope, took my finger off the trigger it hopped down and left. 30sec later there was a yote standin 20yds away on same trail the cat came from. Glad i didnt shoot it. My brother dropped that yote in its tracks. If it wasnt for me trying to call in his first dog, It would of been on.

Called in 2 cats behind my house a few weeks ago. Wish yotes came that easy.

Originally Posted By: tomuchtohandleDon't mean to be a party pooper to you guys..but some people can say that about feral dogs. Maybe one day its your dog that gets dusted. Also on another note those cat were someone's pet before they became feral. So blame the owner NOT the cat.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but it's too much to handle. Also, yes, the cats belonged to someone, maybe that cat, or maybe that cat 4 generations ago. Blaming the owner doesn't solve the problem. Should I blame your teachers and parents for your inability to use the word "too" correctly, or should I simply tell you that you are using the word "to" incorrectly and fix the problem?

Back on topic. In my grandmother's area, there is a 20 ga at the door. I have a .17hm2 ready for cat and crow duty. $0.05 is enough for me

Driving down the driveway this evening just after dark, I caught a glimpse. That glimpse was a small black & white feral. Either a female slipped in under the radar & dropped kittens: or someone has dropped off a critter their tired of. I just bought an AR7 survival rifle off a friend that seems pretty accurate. Maybe this weekend I will stalk the stalker to check it out.

Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned feral dogs.
Back in the 70's there was a puppy mill in the county that I was living in. The puppy mill got shut down do to extremely unsanitary conditions.
Well rather than get rid of their dogs they turned them loose and let them go wild. These were Irish Setters "Hunting Dogs".
You can imagine the fiasco that this created.
A couple of year later, a friend of mines brother had been to the livestock sale barn and bought 35 pigs. The first night that he had them he lost 28 pigs due to these feral dogs.
A friend of mine and I were discretely advised by the DNR that these feral dogs needed to be taken care of.
We had a nice sunny day in January the following weekend. We went looking for these dogs and spotted them on a south facing slope sunning themselves. I had my 22-250, and my buddy had his 270. These dogs did not know what hit them. We would pop one and the whole group would look around and think what the heck was that. Before they realized what was going on with the loud noise, about 3/4 of them were assuming air temperature.

Back