Wolf versus American Pitbull Terrier?

I am a little late on this thread but this is a true account. It happened not far from my home and has been personally authenticated.

One Sunday afternoon four people I know, one of whom owns a large pitbull, were standing in their back yard visiting. One of the people said, "Hey, what is that?" They all looked across a field about 200 yards away and saw what ended up to be two wolves running toward them. The wolves never slowed, continued to run right into the backyard and one of them attacked the pitbull, throwing it about 6' in the air. When the pitbull hit the ground the wolf grabbed it by a hind leg and took off. The wolves never slowed, ran back across the field with pitbull in tow and disappeared in the woods. Two days later the pitbull came dragging itself back home. Both hips required surgery by a vet to get the joints put back together. The dog survived. I will forever wonder what actually happened "out there" in the woods. I'll bet it was interesting. If bets were made, I would not bet on a one on one battle in favor of the wolf. On the other hand, in a pack versus a pitbull, I would bet on the wolves for sure. I have seen what they can do. Any person who has no fear of two or more wolves is a fool. They are a very dangerous animal. I no longer venture out here alone hunting. The wolf is and will change they way people do things outdoors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: howlingOriginally Posted By: daddyfleaWolf no contest. I had a Half Wolf half Shepherd. We could not keep him in our chain link fence because his bite was so powerful, he just bunched up the wire to make a hole and stepped through. My Wife was walking him one day and 4 Hounds ran out. He was protecting her even though the Hounds were really after him. Killed two right off and the others were so bloody I never found out if they lived or not. We was 125# and outside of killing two calves, I never saw him even growl at somebody. He also never barked just ran and hid when strangers came. My Neighbor absolutely hated him because he never would mind her. My Wife could tell him to get back in the yard and off he went no questions.

It has been somewhere around 15 years ago I use to raise wolf hybred mix and the thing about them was they pick only one person to take orders from and would not listen to anyone else and really protective of that person too and the kids. I use to sell them to the Navy base here at Crane because they outproformed every guard dog they had and they ordered several hybreds. They really did not make a good pet or house dog.
grin.gif

You are right about that for sure.

Too many variables in this discussion.

The aerial wolf control program here takes out a lot of wolves every March.....the pups of the year are usually 50-70 pound animals and the largest old males can go to 150+ pounds....that's a huge spread.

For a good read, get Alaska's Wolf Man by Reardon....it's the story of Alaska's most famous federal wolf control agent of years back. Frank Glaser shot and trapped hundreds of wolves. He kept diaries of his efforts and stated that he had weighed wolves exceeding 160 pounds with the heaviest exceeding 200 pounds.

Frank also stated that the wolf was the only critter he knew of that could bite through and chew adult moose leg bones.

Frank was recognized throughout the North for his wolf work and was eventually hired by US Biological Survey [USFWS] ...
I wish he were still with us....

Again, this is a great read for you predator hunters....his stories of taking a grizzlies with an early 220 Swift will get your attention.

Well, my buddy had 3 pitbulls that ran free on their farm. They searched out and tangled with the local coyote pack on a couple of occasions, and had to make a trip to the vet to get stitched up.

Last time, 2 of them didn't come home, and the other one stuck pretty close to the house afterwards.

So, if we're talking one-on-one with an adult wolf, I'm saying the pit bull gets eradicated pretty darn quick.

Originally Posted By: nmleon
irishhound.jpg

You decide!!

APBT's are NOT aggressive dogs by nature but true american bred hunting dogs,is the one is this pic some type of mutated killer? It's certaily doesnt fit ABPT standards. Like someone else said wolves have a undeniable hatrid for all K9's and will kill them on sight (if they are able)a APBT DOES NOT POSSES THIS CHARICTARISIC even though they would fight until their last breath of air left thier body.

And btw,yes I have APBT'S........

Originally Posted By: ultramagOriginally Posted By: nmleon
irishhound.jpg

You decide!!

APBT's are NOT aggressive dogs by nature but true american bred hunting dogs,is the one is this pic some type of mutated killer? It's certaily doesnt fit ABPT standards. Like someone else said wolves have a undeniable hatrid for all K9's and will kill them on sight (if they are able)a APBT DOES NOT POSSES THIS CHARICTARISIC even though they would fight until their last breath of air left thier body.

And btw,yes I have APBT'S........

you have to take into consideration that they guy in the pic looks about 5 foot 2

Either way I ANT GETTING IN BETWEEN THEM, Too much meat and teeth between those 2 for me to stick a hand in there. LOL

Originally Posted By: WSMBUCKEither way I ANT GETTING IN BETWEEN THEM, Too much meat and teeth between those 2 for me to stick a hand in there. LOL

AMEN

WOW i cant believe this thread is still going strong... i believe this whole discussion started quite a few months ago when i started a thread stating my fear of hunting in wolf country... lol are you guys making it anywhere on this discussion?

Originally Posted By: the noobieWOW i cant believe this thread is still going strong... i believe this whole discussion started quite a few months ago when i started a thread stating my fear of hunting in wolf country... lol are you guys making it anywhere on this discussion?

it started over me and another guy debaiting weather his dog a pitbull terrier could defeat a wolf! i dont remember what got us into the debate but he asked if we should put it to a vote and so we did by this thread.....clearly i think i won the vote lol!

Originally Posted By: lon0121Originally Posted By: the noobieWOW i cant believe this thread is still going strong... i believe this whole discussion started quite a few months ago when i started a thread stating my fear of hunting in wolf country... lol are you guys making it anywhere on this discussion?

it started over me and another guy debaiting weather his dog a pitbull terrier could defeat a wolf! i dont remember what got us into the debate but he asked if we should put it to a vote and so we did by this thread.....clearly i think i won the vote lol!

haha i think this is the tread it all started in.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...694#Post1605694

Back