Wolf versus American Pitbull Terrier?

Originally Posted By: nmleonBulldogs of one type or another have been around at least since Roman times as was stated.

But what was used to hunt these to extinction across most of Europe?

DeadWolves.jpg

!!!THESE!!!

Irishwolfhound.jpg

Size DOES matter!!

I thought the firearm is what hunted them to extinction.

That one is an Irish Wolfhound, though there a number of closely associated wolfhound breeds.

Wolves were hunted to extinction in Ireland, the British isles, and most of Europe long before the invention of effective firearms. They used wolfhounds and hand weapons.

I did some boxing in my early days and had one brother that was a pro. ANyway big boxing fan for years and one statement that I remember was said back in Joe Louis's days and it was this...."A good little man will never beat a good big man."
I think that pertains to the question in hand.

Originally Posted By: peterjc"A good little man will never beat a good big man."
I think that pertains to the question in hand.
Well said.

Those of you who think the pit would win are pretty comical. The only way I see the wolf losing is if it's a young one. They just like other canines seem kind of dopey when they're young. But it would still be a toss up.

The wolf has the upper hand in every single way to the pit. The biggest advantage it has to the pit is it's shear HATRED for other canines. I'm surprised this point hasn't been brought up yet. Especially from the fellow northern states and Canadian guys. Ever heard black bear guys describe what it's like to come to where their hounds were when the wolfs caught up to them? Their answer is that there was nothing left. I've seen videos of wolves taking down coyotes. I didn't think that anything other than a firearm projectile could cause a red mist affect. I was wrong.

wolves have more power in their bite than any dog on the planet. a 150# alpha male wolf would shred a large American pitbull. Don't get me wrong the pit would hold his own for a while, but the sheer size and strength of a mature wolf would be too much IMO

My vote would be on the wolf.

Anyone seen the wolverine vs wolf video? It's no small wolf either. Think it pretty much ends in a draw but that little wolverine is tough.

A friend of mine from the south told me he knew a guy that put 6 Bull Terriers against a wolverine and the wolverine tore them apart. The wolverine would bite the necks and twist taking out a huge chunk. You can see that same technique somewhat in the wolf video. I "forget" the friends name if anyone needs to know who.

I have one of the toughest pit's I have seen. I got him as a pup from red lion kennell. I'm pretty sure a wolf would would tear my poor dog in half. Partly because he is a big girl. But I love that he is. he is my daughters snuggle buddy. She is 18 months and he protects her to no end. He sleeps at the end of her bed. She actually started walking holding on to him. But if it came to a wolf... I know he would give his life protecting his family. But I don't think he would last.

Wolf every time, they kill to live,I don't think a pit with it's short coat would stand a chance.Then the wolf might even eat after it's killed it(If it's hungry.)I'm talking about gray wolves' those things are huge.My uncle has a gray wolf rug that thing must be 8 feet long!!Paws bigger than my hand.

A pit bull would have a terrible time with a Malamute let alone a wolf.
Had a friend that had a pit latch on to his malamute's cheek and Cody put a K9 thru the pit's eye socket.
The owner came over with a brick to get his pit to release.The problem is the pits go for the throat and get fur,then they get torn to shreds.

One on one the wolf takes dinner home without a sweat.

Definitely going with wolf on this one. They have thousands of years of instinct to kill. Granted dogs came from wolves, and pits were bred to display that killing instinct, but it had to be partially bred out to make them consistently handlable (pretty sure that's not a word, but you get the point) Also, as it has already been mentioned, a wolf's coat is designed to protect it. Not just from the elements, but also attacks. If you add in frame size i would imagine it's the same as boxing. The wolf being lankier would have a further reach. Pits were bred for fighting in the past, but today's are a different animal. I will say as far as the fight is concerned it definitely wouldn't be one sided.

Wolf hands down. As others have said, the wolf is driven by pure, wild instinct and must hunt and kill every day of its natural life just to survive. And if that doesn't convince you, consider the fact that the bite force of a wolf has been measured as being the largest of any canine, far more than any pit bull, Rottweiler, etc. And this was a wolf in captivity, not a wild one. Throw in the bigger size, better endurance, defensive features like the thick fur coat, etc, and there is no question.

Well I'm obviously in the minority here but, I'm going to say the pit bull. In call of the wild the 'huskey like' dog is a german shepard.... whose original stud line goes back to 'hector' who is 1/4 grey wolf, btw... There is a book by Max Brand, author of "Torture Trail" and "16 in Nome" called "White Wolf" about a pit raised by a wolf who dominates, kills all the baddest wolves, and eventually runs the pack. It's all do to his game, they jump for the face and DO NOT let go. They will die holding on.

There's a number of factors to be discussed, and naturally you'd want an alpha of both, to be fair, but what are the odds of any given wolf you encounter being an alpha, having fought other wolves in its life, multiple times? Not very good. MOST pits are fighters, and DO NOT get along with other dogs, even when they're young, even when they're female. So 9 out of 10 times you're going to encounter just an ordinary wolf. Advantage goes to the pit.

Next is size. Wolves average about 75 to 130, with some, yes, going 150-200. These are not average wolves but usually pack wolves living in northern areas with LOTS of available food, year round. The pack runs down a moose/ elk/ caribou/ deer, eats it, and continues, getting an easy meal about every day or so. thats why they're so big. These wolves do have size advantage but are not fighting hard for resources and lively hood.. these are couch-potato type wolves. Look at couch potato people. They're BIG alright.. but not UFC fighters... So if we're going to be 'fair' and say equal or close to equal weight, I'd still say a 75# pit over a 100# wolf...

Next is game. So many here have argued that the wolf hunts and kills everyday. yes well, so do red fox. but I don't think you'd bet on them. Wolves kill deer and moose and elk, in packs, soem to distract and hamstring, the other to go for the throat.. one on one they would not be goign for these animals, and even so, the kill is not a 'fight', they're basically scared timid prey animals. Look up wolf vs. cougar on youtube.. the cat has more game. and real 'fight'. Pit dogs where bred for grabbing a bulls nose and killing it. They hunt wild boars. There is almost no end to their game. Seen the picture of the pit that went after the porcupine? You will not find a wolf this gluton for punishment!! My ex. gf had the smallest pit I'd ever seen, about 14" high at the shoulder and probably 30-35#. You could see every muscle through the skin, and when I came to the door, that dog would JUMP even with my face, I'm 6'3" 205#'s and slam her snarling face agaisnt the screen door and bark and snarl while she slid down. she'd do that until the gf took her and locked her up because I would NOT go in the house when that dog was out. 'annabell' apparently knew what I was up to
thumbup.gif
tt2.gif

As far as agility? These animals are a ball of rubberbands..

My buddies dog "diesel" was a smallish pit, only about 2yrs and would jump about 6-8' in the air "gradually higher" grab the 5" pine tree branch and shake and writhe his boddy until it splintered and broke. he'd then have to jump higher every time my buddy said "GET THE TREE" .. these animals no know fear, and can kill antyhing. did you see the youtube where it pulls the bumper off the cop car?

Wolves are big, they're good at what they do, but they're not street fighters. It's like saying arnold swarzenegger (in his prime) could beat anyone up.... It's apples and oranges. the fighting dogs are bred for that. LOTS of dogs have been bred for chasing and killing wolves. The pit wouldn't outrun one, but if the wolf stayed to fight, the fight wouldnt last long enough to go to a 'stamina' decision.

I submit to you evidence of game:
pitbull-2-x-450.jpg

a couple of NOT SMALL pits...
Azul_Clayton.jpg

0.jpg

Wolf no contest. I had a Half Wolf half Shepherd. We could not keep him in our chain link fence because his bite was so powerful, he just bunched up the wire to make a hole and stepped through. My Wife was walking him one day and 4 Hounds ran out. He was protecting her even though the Hounds were really after him. Killed two right off and the others were so bloody I never found out if they lived or not. We was 125# and outside of killing two calves, I never saw him even growl at somebody. He also never barked just ran and hid when strangers came. My Neighbor absolutely hated him because he never would mind her. My Wife could tell him to get back in the yard and off he went no questions.

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaWolf no contest. I had a Half Wolf half Shepherd. We could not keep him in our chain link fence because his bite was so powerful, he just bunched up the wire to make a hole and stepped through. My Wife was walking him one day and 4 Hounds ran out. He was protecting her even though the Hounds were really after him. Killed two right off and the others were so bloody I never found out if they lived or not. We was 125# and outside of killing two calves, I never saw him even growl at somebody. He also never barked just ran and hid when strangers came. My Neighbor absolutely hated him because he never would mind her. My Wife could tell him to get back in the yard and off he went no questions.

It has been somewhere around 15 years ago I use to raise wolf hybred mix and the thing about them was they pick only one person to take orders from and would not listen to anyone else and really protective of that person too and the kids. I use to sell them to the Navy base here at Crane because they outproformed every guard dog they had and they ordered several hybreds. They really did not make a good pet or house dog.
grin.gif

Back