Wolf versus American Pitbull Terrier?

i might lose money, but i'd still bet on the pit, if it was one used to rough sport such as a catch dog. that said, i also have no experience with wolves.

pits absolutely catch big bad stuff, if it could run fast enough i beleive one could sure catch and hold a wolf, but catching and killing are two different things.

a pit will catch a big boar that i think would kill a lone wolf, but left caught for to long without help from the hunter, the boar will probably kill the catch dog

would a wolf be committed to fight to the death if receiving serious damage ? a pit most certainly would. or would the wolf have enough desire for self preservation to quit like most wild animals?

Last edited:
A wolf fighting for it's life. Is as comitted as you can get. Willard & I couldn't see the hounds fight the wolf I mentioned above. But we seen the fight area as we topped over the ridge. From where we seen the close chase.

Tracks shown, farther down the opposing hillside. Where the wolf, [apparently] grew tired of running. The wolf turned 180 degrees to face the hounds. My Dad's large B&T hound plowed head on into the wolf. They both slid down the far slope, maybe 20' or so. The fight took place right at the end of the sliding.

The fight area was roughly 50' or so in diameter. Fight area was beaten down with tracks & blood spattered every where.

Wild animals won't always run when threatened. To believe so is fool hardy.

Many yrs ago, one of my Dad's friends turned his lone large male Greyhound. On a lone large female coyote. This coyote I eventually shot & killed with my shotgun. She weighed 47 lbs. But, after the initial chase, catch & fight. With the lone male Greyhound. The greyhound broke off the fight, as he was losing.

But rather than the female coyote running away. She came after the Greyhound & caught him two times. She kicked his rump good, then fled. She then loped another 1/2 mile. Fought another large lone male Greyhound et kicked his rump as well. Eventually one of our trail hounds bayed her against a barbed fence. That is where she fell to my shotgun. Tough as nails she was.

Originally Posted By: kirby
Wild animals won't always run when threatened. To believe so is fool hardy.

The greyhound broke off the fight, as he was losing.

i never said i beleived they would always run, i was just askin, is there not a chance the wolf might, like the hounds and greyhound, attempt to flee if sustaining serious injuries? a game bred pit probably wont.

and i'm thinkin more along the lines of a 60-65# pit that is in working condition and accustomed to handling large dangerous game, such as feral hogs, versus a 100-125# wolf. sorta evens the odds IMO.

But like i said, i could be wrong.

by the way, what is the average weight of a wolf ?

Another thing to understand. Is a wolf or coyote are capable of loping for many miles without stopping. A Domestic dog, even in top form would be lucky to do more than a mile. They lack stamina/endurance, compared to a wild wolf or coyote. It is not necessassarily always about grit or tenacity.

I believe a wild animal, same as a domesitc animal[speaking of predators here]. Are capable of quickly sizing up their foe or quarry. Which would explain in my above coyote hunt story. That the female coyote, quickly learned that she could whip that 1st Greyhound in an all out fight.

IMO i believe it could go either way.I think the overall mindset and attitude of the paticular animal would have a huge role in the final outcome.
Just like humans,some have it,some dont.
Have an alpha of any species go up against a subordinant
and 9 times out of ten the alpha wins.

Not to take anything away from your hounds but they surely are not game bred bulldogs. Ive owned any type of hound and cur you can imagine and the only breed Ive ever seen that was as game as an APBT is the Patterdale Terrier. I believe that animals can sense the cojones of an opponent same as a man can or better. That may explain why they stand and fight sometimes.

I believe a 70 lb wolf would be quickly killed by a 70 lb American PitBull, I may even take the bet on a 100 lb wolf and a 70 lb pit. The APBT and other bull breeds have been around since the Roman days in one form or another, there are instincts in the breed that will surely surface if pushed. I think a wolf, with its survival instincts would be the first to retreat without its pack to help if the fight were close. The APBT is tenacious, smart, has a high tolerence for pain and is pound for pound among the strongest of dog breeds.

and yes I own one.

Pits excel and thrive on pain and adrenaline, but the Wolf will come out on top due to day-to-day experience and survival tactics...Both are fast and strong, but while a Pit will go for the throat, I think the Wolf will cut up the legs and underbelly first..

I had a neighbor that owned a half Wolf, half Malmute and that dog killed several that came within range and it would lay back until the other dog would come within the reach of it's tether and it would attack so fast that it was a blur..there were a couple of slightly smaller dogs that he basically bit in half..

This question can not be answered the way anyone can wrap their head around the showdown taking place. Its already been said that the wolf is fighting for survival, the bulldog is fighting because it has been bred to fight. No matter what you do, the bulldog is going to be pushing uphill ALOT of weight if both animals are mature. That rules out the essence of the "battle". The wolf SHOULD kill the bulldog 10 out of 10 times if the bulldog is so game that it won't quit as the wolf punishes it. Now the opposite could happen and the wolf could take some considerable damage, but as a predator that fights for survival, he will take off to survive.

This doesn't take anything away from either animal, they are both skilled at what they are bred for. The fact that a bulldog will not "whip" a wolf has nothing to do with gameness, since "fighting" a wolf wouldn't be a true test of gameness. There is more I want to write, but I won't, really its just a silly pipe dream to envision a contest like this.

I would think a large Airedale would stand a slightly better chance, but still die in the end. They are called the King of terries for a reason.

IMO, Wolf, hands down. This is why...
DeadWolves.jpg

They are BIG!!

I checked out the saveelk website. I`m a believer now.That was interesting.One of those behemoths would look nice in the man cave.

Originally Posted By: HookedOne of those behemoths would look nice in the man cave.
Yeah! I can't wait until Wolf season.

Saw a rather interesting film where the researchers, used a bite metering device with attack trained dogs. They tested, a sheppard, bulldog, rot, and mastiff. The mastiff was far and away the most powerful bite of all dogs tested. (almost double the pitbull) They, made their conclusion that bite strength was a direct result of skull size, not breed. If that is true, it would certianly explain why wolves can inflict such damage to other animals with a single bite. To me anyway one of the first things you notice about a wolf is the large head size compared to domestic dogs. okome

Bulldogs of one type or another have been around at least since Roman times as was stated.

But what was used to hunt these to extinction across most of Europe?

DeadWolves.jpg

!!!THESE!!!

Irishwolfhound.jpg

Size DOES matter!!

Back