Wisconsinites: Check-In/Hunt Reports

GO DOWN WIND! GO DOWN WIND! Man it has been windy here lately. Cold is one thing I guess I don't mind if only that wind would die off!

VENT, VENT, VENT!

As always good hunting to all.

Purplepride

hosers-200x192v.jpg

icon5.gif
What is the depth of the snow in your area?

sterb146.gif
Southern Waukesha County - 14" on the ground.

~~~~

fc6d5246.jpg.thumb.jpg

I went up to Cross Plains this morning to retrieve my game camera. It was -10, so I was wearing my insulated camo stuff as its the warmest gear I had. i also took my rifle, but non of my other gear except for a hand caller, as I didn't have time to make any real stands.

So on the way, I decide to stop in the corner of this cornefield, blew some howls over about 5 minutes, then trudged on. About 50 yards from that "stand", I looked over to the right, and there was a lump...it was a yote about 250-300 yards out, sitting there watching me! So I plop to the ground, look through the scope, and can only see this little circle of light...dang, scope is on 18X, so I give it a quick twist (turned out to be 12x), still couldn't see anything! I glance at the yote, who is calmly trotting away towards the woods. I get the scope to 6x, and start looking, but he's gone!! I try a few calls to see if I can get him back, no dice.
ON the way back from getting the camera, I stop at a different corner of the field and call for about 10 minutes, no luck getting that yote back!

So anyways, on the way home, on hwy 138 between oregon and stoughton, I glance over to the side of the road, and spot >2< gray coyotes trotting along this horse paddock! In broad daylight, near noon, and near a busy highway!

John

rcav8r

I have a game cam out as well (put out about 2 weeks ago) and was going to check it this next week. Did your pics turn out in this cold. They say ideally the cam should be out in weather 20-120 degrees. Curious, hope the cold didn't freeze the film.

Purplepride

Hey I live near Eau Clarie, do alot of crow hunting in this part of the state they run coyotes with dogs around here, only did that once no luck though. Lookin at buy a varmit rifle got to get the cash first. I'll stick to the benelli 12ga for now. Any one else from the Eau Clarie (bloomer thats where i live) area. drop me a line.

Howdy I am from Brodhead thinkin' about getting into some callin'. Right now we run hounds but want to try callin some in 2. With the hounds we are doing ok for what snow we have had.

Chris

Purplepride,
Its possible that if it gets cold enough, the film might get too brittle, and possibly tear if the camera takes a pic and advances the film. The thing is, I don't know how cold is too cold though!

My camera was fine when I picked it up. It's been through the below zero weather of the last few days, I was afraid it might cause the crystals in the LCD display to freeze and burst or something, but it was OK. It only took 9 pictures the last 4 weeks though, and I know it missed a few shots, judging by the tracks in front of the camera and the numbers on the display not advancing.

John

I'M NEW TO THIS COMPUTER STUFF BUT NOT TO CRITTER CALLIN. I LIVE IN WHITE LAKE E. OF ANTIGO. BEEN KILLING COYOTES W/CALL & GUN FOR ABOUT 9 YRS. & TRAPPING EM FOR ABOUT 20.THIS EVENING I CALLED IN A PAIR BY MAKING 3 LONG HOWLS, WHICH THEY HOWLED BACK I GAVE EM ABOUT 5 MIN. THEN HOWLED TWICE MORE WITH NO ANSWER, SO I GAVE GAVE EM AABOUT 5 MIN.MORE THEN THREW OUT ACOUPLE WOUNDED PUPS FOLLOWED BY SOME BUNNY SCREAMS ON MY TALLY HO THEY CAME IN FAST & FURIUOS I TOOK ASHOT AT THE LEAD DOG AT 60 YDS. &MISSED. SHOULD HAVE BARKED &STOPPED EM 1ST.I HOPE MY .243 CAN 4-GIVE ME.

I'M FINISHIG UP ON MY LAST POSTING CAUSE I RAN OUT OF ROOM LIKE I SAID I' M NEW TO THIS COMPUTER STUFF.I USE ALL HAND CALLS LESS STUFF TO CARRY & I CANT AFFORD THE E-CALLERS I'D RATHER STICK THE IN TO GUNS & MY TRUCK. PLUS I FEEL MORE VERSITILE W/MOUTH CALLS.I SEE AYOTE CALLER FROM LAKEWOOD TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE DOGS AROUND THERE. MY ADVICE IN THAT AREA &TOWNSEND IS CALL AT FIRST LIGHT.THE YOTES SEEM LESS SHY THEN CAUSE THE SNOWMOBILING IS AT ITS LOWEST THAT TIME OF DAY. HUNT THE POTHOLES IN TAMARACK SWAMPS &RIVER BOTTOMS THAT ARE FROZE WHERE DEER&BUNNIES ARE>>>>

FINISHINGUP: THIS TIME OF YEAR HOWLERS WORK BEST FOR ME DUE TO MATING SEASON. STARTING OUT ON BUNNY SCREAMS JUST SEEM TO BRING OUT THE DEER.I SHOOT A REM. 700ADL SYN.IN .243 TOPPED OUT W/TASCO MAG.IV 4-16X40 AO. AMMO I'VE TRIED PRETTY MUCH ALL BUT BELIEVE IT OR NOT I LIKKE 100GRN. REM. CORE-LOKT,EXIT HOLES ARE ONLY THE SIZE OF A HALF-DOLLAR.GROUPS ARE ABOUT INCH&HALF.60&70GRAINER GIVE ME-1INCH BUT LEAVE ME SEWIN.PLUS I CAN USE IT FOR DEER W/OUT RE-SIGHTIN &GIVES ME AN EDGE WHEN I USE IT IN DEER SEAS.CAUSE OF ALL THE PRACTICE SMOKIN YOTES.

i'm up in Superior. i've only been out once but now that's it has warmed up a bit i'm going to start scouting some more with my snowshoes and rifle.

anyone else this far north?

Been very slow year so far up here in Forest and Oconto Counties. It started out decent but once we got a decent amout of snow it brought the snowmobilers out in force in my areas which in turn have seemed to make them a bit more scarce. And the cold has kept me from going out at times. The full moon is here and tonight is supposed to be clear, hopefully I can break a month long drought. Mating season is just about here so that should also help. I am heading into the thick cedar swamps as the sign has pretty much dried up everywhere else. Anyone doing much of anything yet?

does any one form south east wisconsin wana hook up and go out killin yotes together im gettin tired of goin out my self and with two people we can wach eachothers backs if you want e-mail me @ phildo289@yahoo.com looking forward to the hunt!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back