Wisconsinites: Check-In/Hunt Reports

Mark W., out you back door is great coyote hunting. The Navarino wildlife area is loaded with rabbit tracks. Quite a bit of pressure there so call selection is important. I made three stands there last weekend after the little bit of snow we got. Tracks all over the place.

I live in Birnamwood and hunt all over. Up near Lakewood/Mountain in the Nicolet forest the deer yard up in the big cedar swamps. Try a doe or fawn bleat downwind of the yarding area. Or there aren't any shortages of snowshoe hare up there too.

If you want a partner, give me an e-mail at [url=mailto:aleppala@charter.net

Hey Litman, next time you head to Oregon, Stop by in Stoughton and pick me up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I went on my first yote hunt this past sunday. Drew a blank, cause there were some other folks out there on the property (near cross plains) rabbit and squirrel hunting. Lots of shotguns blasting, so I'm sure the yotes were staying low. I tried 3 stands though!

John

Good to see so many fellow cheese heads on this site. I live in north central WI and am getting back into predator hunting after a long lay off.Most of my experience has been in OK,TX and NM. A lot different than up here.It is like starting at square one.I look forward to polishing the dust and rust off my equipment and my skills. A site like this sure would have been helpful back when I was learning things the hard way.I don't think there was even an internet then.Best of luck to all you yote busters.

Big Arl,
I might take you up on getting together soon. Have you ever tried howling to locate? I drove around the entire Navarino wildlife area one night and tried a cd howler call every mile or so and never got a response. What part of the area have you tried.They do work great on scaring the sh*t out of deer though. I stopped in one place and as soon as the howling started, 10 deer came flying out.

Anybody know if there is a maximum magazine capacity allowed when hunting yotes. I shoot an AR-15 and all i have is 1- 20 rd & 1- 30 rd.

I have yet to hear one...I have 20s, 30s and a 40....dont use the 40 it adds lots o weight!

I think my H Bar elite is just over 14lbs with the 30

Mark W. I've tried howlers at all times of the day and night and year. The only time I seem to get a response is if I'm north of a line running from Oconto to Wausau. I think there are more people out there than we realize trying to get a coyote to howl. I think they are used to it and ignore it. I use an Evil Black Rifle also. I've been stop/checked several times by DNR and they don't seem to care what capacity magazine I carry. They sure do eye-up my setup though. Its not like I'm a terrorist or anything....

Whats your method of locating ? Do you just drive and look for tracks? What areas of navarino are you working or seem to have yotes running around? I'm not seeing hardly any tracks driving the perimeter. Lets get together soon and try knocking one down with our terrorist rifles.

I'm a beginging predator hunter in SW WI. I have a J S pradator master e caller and a few mouth calls. A friend of mine and I went to the WI River river bottoms last sunday. All we managed to call in was a couple of owls and a hand full of crows. We thought we found a fair amount of sign, but out of 9 different stands no luck. Are you guys using howls and other coyote sounds right now or are you mainly using prey sounds. We were starting with a rabbit sound for the first 10 minutes or so of our sets and than switching over to howls. Mostly because there was as much fox sign there as yote. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Budman

Given all the responses from wisconsinites , I think we should have a separate forum page. Just a thought. Anybody out there ever try the Mack wildlife area N. of Appleton?

Originally posted by Mark W:
[qb]Given all the responses from wisconsinites , I think we should have a separate forum page. Just a thought. [/qb]
idea.gif
I like that idea. A seperate forum that would cover the Upper Midwest region that would include Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, & Northern Illinois areas. Could include the entire Great Lakes region too.

My
fa3f3e71.jpg

sheep.gif
How 'bout it administration?

Rcav8r-

I would like to get together, I am fairly sure I can hunt another couple hundred acres (not sure how many) between Evansville and Janesville. I milk cows for a farmer and talked to him today. He has some guys that run dogs on there land every onece in a while. I will secure it b-4 hunting there.
Getting the .223 ready, just put a Bi-pod on it and working on a better scope.

Where do you guys buy calls??? Gander Mt. or internet or??????????

Tony

I bought my JS preymaster at gander, but in hindsight, I think cabela's would have been better, as the one from GM came with 3 deer sound cartridges that I didn't want (I'll certainly try them during the rut next fall though).

I have been calling the Cross Plains area with no luck. Going to try Columbia County in the next couple of weeks. Lack of snow makes it hard to find sign. Will report any findings.

I'll be heading up to the Elco area north of Antigo this weekend,if someone wants to get together.I've called some in by howling there but they just won't come in the way they're suppose too ;-)

Odd Ball, do you have another place besides terraserver.com for aerial photos?Most of there's are from 1992 for some of the areas I want to check out.And they're in black and white.

Mark W,I got a reply from Thomas,Collier@.state.wi.us
that there is no limit on mag capacity, just barrel lenght and overall gun lenght.

Greg, I've also hunted the Northern KM and have yet to see tracks for coyotes.I did call in a fox and have seen tracks.There is a group of 'older' guys that hunt the area hard with shotguns and I was told they got 130 yotes from the area,including private land.I have heard them howling last summer when I was camping at my aunts farm about one mile NE of Kettle Moaine Drive and Hwy 28.All I manage to get are deer and turkey from the area.

Mike

Unknownfarmer: Care to share anything that you have learned since hunting up here, compared to OK, TX and NM. I'm from CO and am having a hard time getting anything in!

litman252: I hunt in Evansville and Oregon. Can I ask where you're setting up (i.e. edge of field...etc)and what you're doing calling wise?

Thank in advance

Negissimo:
You can ask any question you want to, since I have not even gone out yet I can't answer though.
I just got the .223 closer to being ready to go, don't have any calls yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
My plan in my head is to set up near some wooded areas and draw them out, or go into them and leave some one down wind to catch the warry one and take the dumb one in the woods. It works really well when I'm sleeping in my bed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let me know how your doing, are you hunting any public area's around E-ville???

Tony

litman: In Evansville I know one of the old timers in the area, so he's hooked me up with his farm and some of the other local farmers as well. Seen plenty coyotes during turkey season (4 different ones in five days), not otherwise though. In Oregon I just went down to the DNR and asked for a map of some public lands, the places we've tried were less then ideal as far as our set-up goes(I think anways??), but I really want to do some more scouting and give it a serious try.

farmer: I appreciate your time, I know the feeling of losing a reply! It sucks, I'm around all the time so no hurry! Thanks again

tcusparky,
130 coyotes?!? I hate to sound that I doubt that many were taken in a season in that area, but I guess I have some reservations. If they did...well congratulations to them.
Anyways if your still looking for someone to hunt with I would like to know. Most of my hunting friends aren't interested in predator hunting. Just deer and crow usually.
I am using a 22-250 and would like to bag a fox and coyote with it. e-mail me if you want.

Back