Wisconsinites: Check-In/Hunt Reports

f8fa81cb.jpg
Who are the Madison idiots who voted no?

Fellow Wisconsinites,

Just found this site and just started thinking about getting into coyote hunting. I live in Delafield (west side of Waukesha County) and have a cabin in Lakewood. I hunt the Nicolet National Forest and around the Mauston area with a friend that lives there. My family is also in the process of purchasing acreage just south of Waupun and just west of the Horicon. We should close in a couple of weeks. It's good to see so many others of the cheesehead persuasion here. I don't feel so isolated anymore. Being a deer hunter for about 35 years now but a neophyte coyote hunter, got any good tips for gettin' howlers up here in Packer land? I have a 6mm Remington and my AR-15 (scoped). Does it pay to skin and prep the hides or should I just shoot them for the tails and to keep the turkeys and deer safe?

Fast Ed

Welcome to the site...Fast Ed...You will enjoy being here plus you will learn alot about coyote hunting....I sure have. I live in the Mukwonago area which is not too far from Delafield. Have a good day.......

Not too much going on this time of the year John.
Too warm........pups are too young.....mosquitos are thicker than fleas on a coyotes back.....Grass is too tall......woods are too thick......etc..etc...BUT come early fall, things will change...AND I will be ready.

Around here we have a bumper crops of cotton tail rabbits this year,

suppose that is an indicator of less predators?

One of my buddies in SE MN said yote numbers appear to be down a little. He thought maybe parvo or something thinned them out?

Just to bump this topic up, I checked out a new sporting goods store in the area, Galyans in Middleton. Big store! prices on things like ammo were comparable to other local stores, but they also had more variety in calibers and different loads for the calibers. I'm not sure how the gun prices compared, as I'm not up on whats worth what these days, but I'm surprised a mainstream chain store carried handguns! The only price I remember was a 4" stainless ruger GP100 for $429.00, which seemed a little high to me, but then I bought a 6" stainless GP100 for $369.00 in 1988.

John

Jeffo
If I make it up to you're neck of the woods I'd take you up on that offer. don't know what I can show you but anytime you hunt with some one new I would say you will learn a trick or two.
Sportingly
cracker

All right you Wisconsin guys...lets get out there and get some yotes !! I am going out late this afternoon/early evening to give it a try. Lets hear from some of you guys about being successful or not.
The weather has been great so you have no complaints. Fox opens in a few weeks too. Lets get um......

Been thinking real hard about getting out myself. Want to get a few "tools" yet this year. Want a motion decoy and maybe even a digital remote caller.

Some of the locals have seen a few around the last couple weeks.

Over the summer I didn't hear near as much howling as usual. But, I wasn't hanging around the open windows late at night either.

Went out yesterday mourning for the first time this fall. On our first stand called in a yote, he was coming in so fast and it was barely light enough to see through my scope, well anyway I missed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Ill get him next time

how many of us wisconsin folks would be up for a get together hunt in jan. I was thinking maybe we could do a hunt in the horicon marsh. there should be enough land for a few teams. has anyone hunted the marsh for coyotes. I have never hunted the marsh but always wanted to give it a try. I can see the guy who hunts it saying oh no not my marsh. just a thought, if anyone is interested post it here and lets see what we can put together.
Sportingly
Cracker

I was at the gun show in West Bend on Saturday and they announced that our govenor is trying to ban AR's.
Anyone else hear anything about this?
I know it's hard to beleive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back