Wisconsinites: Check-In/Hunt Reports

Odd-Ball

nunst081.gif

Anyone here from Wisconsin?
fc4ae8ce.gif.thumb.jpg

What part of the state do you hunt? Give us a report on your sucess. Any special tips or tricks you recommend for this area?

Hi there....I'm live near Waukesha. Have been coyoye hunting the family farm and other close by areas. Will also crow hunt this weekend. Can't wait to bag a coyote and fox this season. I use a 22 mag for short yardage, 75 or less...and use a 12 guage w/#4 buck for close shots. I am willing to hunt with other close by hunters. Keep in touch.

Hi, I live in wausau. I hunt with a Bush .223 or encore 22-250. I am going to get a foxpro in the next few days to help me. Drop me a e-mail if you get up tp wausau. I would love to hunt with someone. Jared

Madmax

I used to hunt with a fellow that live out on Halfmoon lake. We hunted the Gleason area pretty hard as his uncle was the constable up there and kept us updated on the better coyote areas. That was in the late 60's. We hunted the Neceda and Meadow Valley area and would hunt the shores of the wisconsin river from a boat. Fished musky in Rib lake and walleye below the Eau Plaine res. dam. I spent a little time at the college in Stevens Point but at that time we could keep guns in the dorm and the woods started just behind the dorm. Once the leaves turned classes took second place.
Have a great season, I have fond memories of that country.

AWS

we hunt the southern part of the state. im out of madison and hunt alot in this area, some of our better spots are closer to the cities and towns. just ordered a foxpro and cant wait for it to arrive. will start hunting soon. after getting addicted to this sport i havent been on the ice fishing and have almost given up on deer hunting but the bow still calls my name once in awhile.
Sportingly
Cracker

This is Moosetrot J. McCrotchrott-Scourge of the North! I live in Onalaska, just north of LaCrosse. I am adyed in the woll duck and goose hunter, but after things freeze up is start chasing predators.

One thing that the Wisconsin folks should know about is something called AB 374. For many years a lot of folks have not known that the use of artificial light at the point of kill while hunting coyotes is illegal. It happened when they closed the coyote season in the north to protect wolves in 1980. It's pretty much a glitch in the law, but I've been making a push to get it corrected. I started at Dwayne Johnsrud's office.

AB 374 is currently in the Assembly, has passed the Committee on Natural Resources, and has been referred to the Committee on Rules. Law Enforcement (wardens) have asked for the change to occur and support it.

I introduced it in La Crossee County at the Spring Conservation Congress meetings to add some fuel to the fire. It passed here, and passed at the state convention. It was referred to the LAw Enforcement Committee of the Conservation Congress, and they were to discuss it last Friday. I don't know of the results but I'm optimistic that they will support it.

If you folks have a chance, take a look at AB374 on the Legislative site. Even better, if you could contact your representatives and ask them to support it based upon the safety issues, and potential for misidentification of the target while hunting at night (given the influx of wolves) it would certainly help!!

Well, gotta go! Please help support AB374 as it would clear up a lot of the confusion concerning the issue!

Moostrot

Hi Odd-Ball. I am Magnumdennis and I live in Milwaukee. I have been hunting coyotes since the 70's. I use a 30-30 lever action by marlin. Why 30-30? It leaves a nice little hole going in and a nice little hole going out. Just don't hit any bone though. Then all bets are off.

Since I posted last month I have purchased a new rifle. I am now the proud owner of a NEF Handi rifle in a .223 cal. I mounted a new 3-9x40 Bushnell Scopechief. Nice scope. I went to the range last week and after a few rounds, I was grouping less than an inch at 100yds. I was using Black Hills 52gr hp and 55gr sp. The both shot very well. I am extremely happy with this rifle. It IS a shooter. Also today, I ordered a new Loudmouth e-caller. Cant wait to get that here to try it out. I AM READY !!! (I live near Mukwonago)

i live up in superior. i've never gone coyote hunting but i've been reading about it for a while. anyone know of any places to hit up here? i've got an AR15 and a couple calls..but i've just used them to annoy my dog so far.

my dad turkey hunts in southern wi and had a yote come running up to him last year.

Odd-Ball.....I know that we are close...we went thru this before in an earlier post. I did go out this am BUT saw nothing. Cant wait for my Loudmouth. Need to try different locations too. Any ideas ? How about Vernon marsh ?

I haven't hunted Vernon in almost 20 yrs. Too many houses surround that area unless you hit the west & north boarder areas. I used to sit a top the hill at the end of Frog Alley road yers ago with results.

Tichigan has a good population of Foxes, and an occasional 'Yote.

fc5f6b1f.jpg

East Troy area is a hot-spot too. More accessable property out that a way.

I see foxes while bird hunting near Midway often. I haven't gone out there with the rifle yet.

facad5f4.jpg

I'm thinking of spending some time around & in Kettle Moraine S.F. near Palmyra this winter. See what I can kick up there.

The City of Brookfield has a population explosion of 'yotes. Problem is discharge of a firearm is illegal.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great pics....but where are they? I was at Tichigan at noon today with all of the pheasant hunters, hoping they would scare up a coyote or two...no such luck. But it was a nice day to be leaning up against a tree enjoying the views.

The top pic is Tichigan.

Best time there would be after Deer hunting season or during the week. There's too many folks running around there on week-ends.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe we'll run into each other out there this winter.

Back