Wisconsinites: Check-In/Hunt Reports

cheeseguyjump.gif
Anyone else from WI?

Hey Odd-Ball.....I just got my new Loudmouth ecaller the other day. It is one fine ecaller.
I put some new calls on my Loudmouth from the net.
I am really impressed with this caller. I will no longer have to string out my old speaker cords for my set ups. I am interested in seriously hunting the Vernon marsh real soon. I would enter from the east side. Seems to be more wooded areas on that side. I will be hunting Tichigan this weekend if the weather cooperates. One thing nice about Vernon and Tichigan is that pheasant hunting is NOT allowed after 2 pm !! Great for us coyote hunters that want to set up in the late afternoon/early evening. Lets get together if you would like to double up somewhere to hunt coyotes or fox. Let me know....Bill W.

So far I haven't been out yet. Too busy with other commitments. I hope to get out this week for a little scouting on some dens I found last years. Once the snow is on the ground, I'll be out there.

Keep in touch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just got a decoy that operates from the remote on my Loudmouth. I will be trying it out tomorrow am. By the way...I found out that nobody can hunt Vernon Marsh for coyote til after Nov 30th. later....

I'm new in here and just startin out.
Lost my deer stand and still feel the need to terminate!!
So now its targets and vermin.
Just orderd my Loudmouth....
700 vls 7mm-08 w/ VXII 3x9
700 Laminated Sendero 7mag B&L 4000 6x24
And am having Hollands build me a heavy 243
will wear VXIII 6.5-20x50mm
Fond du Lac

Hey Stevorex....you will really enjoy the Loudmouth...its fantastic. Sounds like you are loaded for bear !! You got some heavy guns there. I shoot a NEF 223. Great little gun for coyotes.
Good luck to you....

I'm not into skinning and will probably tail hunt unless the fur buyer takes them hide on then I'll load some pencil hole rounds but if they don't take fur on the carcass I'll stock-em full and light and vaporize'em so I don't have to cut the tails off as that will be all thats left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
The hardest decision I had to make was whether to foot the jack for the Loudmouth or not - but it sounds like I made the right choice.
If I run into you guys I'll buy the first one...
Good Luck!!

Just saw this thread. Figured I'd reply. I live just south of Antigo. Hunt anywhere I can get permission. Have been predator hunting for about three years. Haven't shot anything yet. Still trying every chance I get though....

A BIG welcome to you BigArl....I live in the Waukesha area and just started coyote hunting this fall. I purchased a Loudmouth e-caller. Its great. I hope to bag my first coyote sometime this winter. I will be using my NEF .223 Handi rifle. I dont hand load my 223 yet, but am considering doing so in the near future. I currently shoot BlackHills ammo and it shoot great in my NEF. (so why handload ?)I love this gun !!

Haven't been on the forum in over a month, just found this topic.
I'm from Stoughton. I've been wanting to get into varminting for a long time now, and am getting serious about buying that 22-250 (see the rifles and ammo forum for my quest for opinions).

I've been deer hunting for nearly a month on private land in the CWD area, near Cross Plains. about 2-3 weeks ago, I was standing up for a stretch, and a coyote comes up the road, sees me (how can he NOT? head to toe blaze orange!), stops, does the head swivel look around. I can't take a shot, not a good one, and at about max range for the blackpowder rifle I'm using. I glance away for a second and he's gone! figured he high tailed it. about 20 seconds later, I see something moving to my right along side a parallel pathway, so I get my gun up and pointed at a clearing in the bush where the other trail passes by, but he never shows. Must have taken another game trail that branches off from that path.
This yote was NOT afraid (too much) of humans, so I think this would be a good spot to try. Soon as the CWD season ends, I'll give it a try. I should have decided on a rifle by then.

Another guy I know said he shot a running coyote on the land (I saw the carcass earlier), he said they're all over the place.

I can't wait to try.

Has anyone tried the Horicon marsh area? I read on the DNR website that furbearing animals, esp. coyotes, are supposedly up in that area.

John

Hey John....You will love coyote hunting. Its great fun. As for a rifle, I shoot a NEF Handi Rifle in a .223. I love this gun. NEF, by the way, will be coming out with the Handi rifle in a 22-250 in the spring. Should be a hot seller and a great cartridge for coyotes. Good luck to you.

LaCrosse Sportsman here spend most of my time deer and duck hunting,but getting into the predators more and more each year. Just posted some of the rules that I feel need change at the top of the forum.

I live in Butler just northwest of Milwaukee and hunt north of West Bend and northeast of Antigo,near Pearson.I've been hearing alot of howls at night but have yet to call anything in.
I also did some deer hunting by Mountain and love camping at Bagley Rapids,in the Nicolet NF.
I'm looking forward to getting my first coyote.I'll also be up in Wausau,but just shooting steel at the Marathon Trap and Sportsmans Club at their silhouette range.

Take care,
Mike

I am from Richland Center and have shot 5 so far this year. This winter should be a great one. Good luck to all and let me know if you are in the area. It is between Lacroass and Madison. There are a few dogs in the area. My best spot is down in the Madison area. Lots of dogs down there. Good luck

I live about 12 miles west of Ashland, in Benoit. We have a store, bar, and lots of coyotes around here. I've hunted a few times, no luck. Anyone who would like to try the area, give me a holler. I've got 120 acres of my own land and am close to National Forest land. I'd love to go hunting with someone who can show me a few tricks. This is a legitimate offer. We have horses and other animals so I seldom get off the farm, except to go to work. The wife says I should do more hunting!

Hey Wisconsin folks! Take a look at the thread on "Goofy Wisconsin Laws." There is some movement to enable change to the current restriction on using lights while hunting coyotes. A call to your legislators asking for their support on AB 374 would really help. Word has it that it may be coming up for a Senate vote soon so get on the phones!

Moosetrot---Self-Proclaimed Emporer of Brice Prairie

Hey guys, it's good to see this many people from wisconsin. I'm also from wis, live in ashland and spend most of my time hunting whatevers in season. Right now is when i start getting serious about coyotes and fox, nothing cooler than havin a big yote come to the calling its addictive. Good luck to yall this year

Hey crosshairs, we must be neighbors. Actually I live in Benoit, but close enough. How long have you been calling? I don't have much experience with it. Maybe you could show me a couple of tricks. I practice in the house but it drives my wife nuts. I practice outside but it drives the horses nuts.

Hey everyone I live in Sun Prairie I hunt where ever I can
Lots of coyotes around Madison Thats cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I shoot a 22-250 mostly
Saw a coyote while hunting near Lacrosse this last weekend I needed about 20 more yards of clearing and I may have stood a chance to get him
Need to have the deer season end so I can hunt the predators
Love the snow and cold for calling
Good luck to all

Back