Whats the best .243 for the money on the market today??

Ok, well after handling all the rifles talked about in this post, I have narrowed it down to a Savage.
I liked the Remmys, Tikk T3, and the Ruger...but the Savage wins my vote.

Now I have it narrowed down to the following two models.
Either the Weather Warrior or the Hunt Series.
The Weather Warrior is all stainless and includes the AccuStock around a price of $650. The Hunt Series has blued steel and includes the AccuStock at a price around $550. I know that the Weather Warrior will hold up better to nasty Northern Michigan weather but I like the blue steel look and of course the price at a $100 bucks less.

I am very good about keeping my guns oiled and cleaned but was wondering what you guys think?????

Weather Warrior or Hunt Series????????

Thanks!!!

Well, at least you got that much decided. If it were me, I would go with the hunter, due to the shininess of the stainless that is on the weather warrior, but that's my $0.02. Happy Hunting.

If you decide to get the weather warrior, just paint it, it will only increase its accuracy! At least thats what others are telling me on here!

Since it was a huge issue here the other day....

I was in one of my factory safes this evening and I pulled out two T-3 Tikkas. One is chambered in 22-250 and the other is a .223. Out of curiousity, I measured the election port on both of them and they both measured 3.25" in length. Both actions are pinned, but with both bolts at their rear-most position, there was still 3.0" of clearance for single feeding a cartridge in to the action. The ejection port is in the side of the T-3 action, and the top of the action is closed, but that is not an issue that prevents single feeding of cartridges on top of the magazine.

In comparison, I measured a Ruger 77 in 204 Ruger - its ejection port is 2.75" long and the ejection port on a Model 7 Remington in 260 Remington also measured 2.75".

Maybe I got a couple of factory defects, but at least the length on the two T-3's in this one safe were of a length to accommodate even a 300 Win Mag cartridge case which the Tikka T-3 is chambered in.

I've never tried single feeding a 300 Win Mag in a Tikka since I don't have one, but I do know the 22-250, 223, and 243 cartridges will single feed into the action on top of the magazine. I've done it occasionally at the range.

The only Tikka I've really spent any time single feeding in the field is an older 595 in 17 Rem that gets used on a bench in the PD fields. If the shooting is fast, it gets top loaded frequently rather than dropping the magazine and reloading it.

Beyond that, single feeding a hunting rifle is not something I normally find myself wanting to do or having to do in the field, so its not a big issue for me in a rifle selection anyway.

Anyway, FWIW.... those measurements are based on 4 factory rifles all sitting beside each other in one of my gun safes.

-BCB

The T3 comes in ONE(re:long) action length to accomodate ALL cartridges, both short and long. Gee, I wonder why the T3 has a longer ejection port than a SHORT ACTION M7 and M77? Duh, I dunno.
crazy.gif
Get a grip.

Here's a pic of 3 of the SAME action lengths with the T3 on top. Anybody who isn't blind can see which one is clearly the tightest and would be the toughest of the 3 to single feed..............

sako-a7-5.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThe T3 comes in ONE action length to accomodate ALL cartridges, both short and long. Gee, I wonder why the T3 has a longer ejection port than a SHORT ACTION M7 and M77? Duh, I dunno.
crazy.gif
Get a grip.

Here's a pic of 3 of the SAME action lengths with the T3 on top. Anybody who isn't blind can see which one is clearly the tightest and would be the toughest of the 3 to single feed..............

sako-a7-5.jpg

I'm well aware the T-3 comes in only one action length. I own several of them. Remember...

I was merely comparing some relatively familiar varmint cartridges and the ejection ports on the rifles they are chambered in. The length of the Tikka ejection port makes the issue pretty much of a non-issue with those cartridges. From experience, it's not a hard thing to do. That's a fact... Like I said, I've never tried single loading a 300 Win Mag since I don't own one...

Also notice I did mention the ejection port is in the side of the action. However, that does not cause me any problems single loading a cartridge into the ones I have.... Help me with "facts" about what I'm obviously doing wrong with the ones I own so I can get a grip like you have...

Plus - I didn't realize we were trying to decide which Sako action was easier to top load. No argument there as I also own quite a few "real" Sakos, both old and relatively new. Again a fact....

How about this...I'll continue to enjoy the Tikkas I own. Why don't you just continue to bad mouth them "with facts" if it makes you feel important and knowledgeable. It's all pretty predictable on your part.

Have a nice evening...

-BCB

If it is a non-issue to you then just say so. Don't try to justify it by measuring action/EP lengths. The fact that a long action T3 has a longer ejection port than 2 short action rifles will hardly come as a startling revelation to most.........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunIf it is a non-issue to you then just say so. Don't try to justify it by measuring action/EP lengths. The fact that a long action T3 has a longer ejection port than 2 short action rifles will hardly come as a startling revelation to most.........

LOL...!! And you're probably the only person on the forum that wants to make that fact an issue in this discussion...

The fact is: They are not hard to single load on top of the removeable magazine as you have so "factually" stated. But...if running through the forests of SE Michigan cramming shells into a fixed top loading rifle magazine - because you've emptied the magazine shooting at something - is really that important to you, I doubt a Tikka with a removable magazine would be the answer.

Beyond that, from experience, single loading one is not a problem even though you insist on trying to convince me - and others - that it is to preserve your own credibility. My only concern with the issue is that other folks who read your "facts" might be mislead if they've never owned a Tikka...

"Facts" like "that miniscule T3 ejection port" as you so "factually" described it earlier are misleading and based on negative emotions, and not reality...

That's the only reason I provided a real measurement for comparison purposes so that someone didn't decide it was extremely small based solely on your misleading, emotional statements based on a picture. Pictures sometimes even mislead the truth...

Bye.... Try getting some sleep...

-BCB

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoyOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunIf it is a non-issue to you then just say so. Don't try to justify it by measuring action/EP lengths. The fact that a long action T3 has a longer ejection port than 2 short action rifles will hardly come as a startling revelation to most.........

LOL...!! And you're probably the only person on the forum that wants to make that fact an issue in this discussion...

That's some pretty funny schit right there. Considering you are the one who just dug it up from 5 days ago. At least you are correct in calling it a fact..........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: Bayou City BoyOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunIf it is a non-issue to you then just say so. Don't try to justify it by measuring action/EP lengths. The fact that a long action T3 has a longer ejection port than 2 short action rifles will hardly come as a startling revelation to most.........

That's some pretty funny schit right there. Considering you are the one who just dug it up from 5 days ago. At least you are correct in calling it a fact..........

Keep dancing.... You get sillier as you go on...

-BCB

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'm not the one dancin'.

Hey look, my 300 Win mag has a longer ejection port than my 223!

On a Tikka T-3 it doesn't. And the ejection port length on a Tikka T-3 makes single loading the cartridges I mentioned (22-250,.223 Rem, 243 Win) a very simple procedure... In spite of some emotional, negative opinions to the contrary.

And yes, thanks to you, in case anyone has been asleep for the past five years, we all now know they only come in one action length. In reality, most folks probably knew that before you tried to make it an issue... But at least you got one fact right yourself.

Boy, howdy.... I sure hope the union calls soon. You're getting both jumpy and grumpy.

-BCB

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoyFor the money spent, you get more with a Tikka. They are an excellent value in today's market.

-BCB

12-18-07_1652.jpg

What about the new Winchester model 70. My local shop gets the feather weight in 243 for 649.00. They are really nice. I am not going to comment on any other rifles just a thought since no one has mentioned them yet. I am holding out for the all weather version in SS later this year.

Wow,,,, I can't believe that this thread was resurected from two months ago,,, but since it has and I know that 2MG feels the same way about A-Bolts... Here's my A-Bolt Micro Hunter in 243Win...
grin.gif

Sorry Ken...
DSCN0073.jpg

It shoots as good as any factory rifle I've owned, and is lite enough for an old man to carry all day..

The 20" barrel won't make any new friends for ya at the range though,, so as stated in an earlier post,, I always give em a heads up..

Charlie

Back