Whats the best .243 for the money on the market today??

dmfd1836

I'm researching bolt action .243 rifles right now for predator hunting. So far I really like Remingtons 700 SPS Varmint and Savage's Weather Warrior Model 16FHSS.
They both are priced very nicely and reviews on them are all good from what i have read.

Does anyone here own one or know anyone who does?

If not, what .243 in your opinion is the best bang for the buck?
Thanks!!!

I own a Savage Weather Warrior, SS, AccuTrigger, syn stock but NOT the new AccuStock, in .243, 22" barrel and muzzle brake.

I like the rifle..folks next to me on the range always appreciate a heads-up when using the brake..short barreled braked rifles can bite bystanders.

Don't own a SPS but do have a LTR in .223 that is good rifle.

Suspect you'd be well served by either brand. I do note that MSRP on the new AccuStock version of my rifle is $822, seems pretty sporty to this old man but then I'm cheap.

I have the Stevens Model 200 in .243. LOVE IT! Was on clearnace at Big 5 Sporting Goods here in NV for $299. As a matter of fact, all calibers were on clearance. Sportsman's Warehouse has them regularly at $319 and some times they go on sale for $259 or less.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

You really need to decide what you want in a rifle. The 2 rifles you describe are both good IMO, but both very different. One is heavy barreled, matte black carbon steel, and goes around 8.5lbs. The other is sporter barreled, stainless steel, and goes around 6.5 lbs. Decide what features you want, and get back with us......

Originally Posted By: Va243hntrStevens 200 just my opinion next would be mossberg , marlin

I would strongly advise all members to stay away from the Mossberg ATR, unless you like wearing your rifles.......

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiIMO,
Best bang for your buck? Get a used Rem 700 sporter.

+1 as long as barrel is in decent condition

I just picked up a ruger M77 II in 243 for $475 ( used ).26" target gray barrel laminated stock. light trigger. havent shot her yet though. Was told there was under 20 rounds down the tube. Guy bought another 243 and so he didn't shoot this one anymore.

The savage weather warrior is a fine rifle. The sps varmint is a little heavy for a calling rifle but they shoot good. I bought a savage model 12fv but compared just about everything to it before i bought it. The 12 fv shoots awesome but gets heavy after a while so i bought a stevens 200. I hate the trigger but i turned it down to about 3lbs and can live with it now. It is much lighter and if you take time between shots and find ammo it likes it shoots more than good enough for coyotes. I get 1"-1.5" groups with factory ammo off shooting sticks and havent started reloading for it yet. If you can swing the extra cash get the weather warrior, but if not stevens 200 or used rem 700 with sporter barrel these will be lighter and shoot very well. Good Luck !!

Originally Posted By: MonteMilesTikka T3 is a sweet gun and fairly cheap.

What he said!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cngermsOriginally Posted By: MonteMilesTikka T3 is a sweet gun and fairly cheap.

What he said!
grin.gif

I bought my first one (new) in .243 Winchester a couple of months ago for about $470 shipped and transferred.
Last trip to the range was 4 consecutive 1" groups with factory ammo.
Nice rifle.
grin.gif

I have the SPS Varmint in 243 and I love it. Shoots great with factory Hornady ammo which is all I've ever shot in it. The trigger on mine is adjusted down to 2 pounds and very crisp, for the money don't think you can go wrong with the Remington in my opinion.

I have a Remington 700 SPS stainless in .22-250 along with a Remington 700 BDL in .243 Winchester. When I use a bolt rifle to hunt coyotes these are the two I split my time with. Both will shoot factory ammo under an inch, and the SPS will put my handloads into .5 inch. The BDL will get down to .75 with my handloads. Both have sporter weight barrels and carry easily. I adjusted the triggers of both rifles to 3 pounds myself.
I like the weather resistance of the SPS stainless rifle, but it's 24 inch barrel likes to catch on low hanging tree limbs as I pass under them. I like the 22 inch barrel on the BDL as it helps the rifle swing and point faster to me. I didn't like the shiney BDL stock on the .243 so I removed it and replaced it with a Remington CDL stock. It's a satin finished stock which I think is much better for a calling rifle. The cheap plastic stock on the SPS is cheap, but the rifle shoots well enough that I don't worry about it.
I think both of these rifles were a fair deal at the time I bought them.

Back