What do you do for a living?

I work at Gander Mountain. Firearms. Soon to be crossing over to Archery as rifle season comes and goes. I wouldn't call it a living. But I really like it. Job security looks very good for me. When you work hard for very little your employers tend to keep you around.

I served 3 years in the ARMY. I was a Geospatial Analyst. Basically making maps from elevation data, vegetation, urban areas, roads and hydro layers. We also analyse the effects of weather on terrain. I picked this field as I thought it would both interest me and help me with my hunting. It wasn't too bad and pays really well in the civilian side. But I can't stand being cooped up in an office. Or having to work on a computer all day.

So now I work for next to nothing and I'm enjoying it. Plus, who wouldn't like to have an employee discount at Gander Mountain!

Adam

Man with all you guys in Law enforcement I hate to say this I make DOPE for a living!!! HAHA I work for a pharmaceutical plant making morphine,demerol,hydromorphone etc. The money is good but the hours suck I never thought I'd be working nightshift but here I am!! Before this 13 years auto tech.

Wow, great responses.

Well, it is scary to think that I might lose my job, but it isn't written in stone yet (although, the writing is on the wall). I guess I'm better off than a lot of people facing the same situation. My wife is a stay at home Mom and we have a little girl that will be two in January. My wife and I finally got smart with our finances when we started planning for a baby. We have a small payment on my truck and our house payment, but that is it. I would get a pretty good severance package (based on the packages given during the last three layoffs) and unemployment would keep us afloat for a while. Worse case scenario, she could go back to work if we needed health insurance. I could find something, but it wouldn't pay near what I'm making now. We'll survive.

I think the scarier part is where this country is heading. I don't think this country will ever fully recover from this mess. I kind of get the feeling that Rome is burning. This may be the beginning of the end.

Quote:
Federal Corrections Officer for 13 years.

Allenwood?
Schuylkill?
KcKean?
Lewisburg?
Loretto?
Cannan?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I am currently the North Mississippi Account Manager for a international pneumatics manufacturer. I spend most of my days calling on industrial plants and large machine builders. Get to hang out with maintenance guys and help them with their pneumatics issues. Also spent years in the USAF as a Czech Linguist.

Federal Corrections officer here also, been here 5 years done 4 with the state DOC before this. Glad to see some of the other hacks on here as well.

I am a master watch and clock repairman, 40+ years. Worked for the Gov't as a civilian instrument repairman and retired. Getting ready to sell my repair business and draw SS. This repair business has stayed strong. I also repair wind up antique toys. At public sales you can not prove there are money problems. When you see or hear people are spending $300.00 and up for a wind up BROKEN toy air plane. One of my customers has a collection of German high grade animated toys, the cheapest broken one cost $28,000, I am not fooling!! I will still "tinker" in the toy repair trade. I am also a license gold buyer, which I will keep active in also. This was a business to have the creature comforts and save up for fun retirment. Now it is used to help my 37 year old son who has last stage cancer. You think God doesn't have a sense of humor, tell Him your plans. This is the hand I've been delt, going to play it through. I still get time to hunt!!

I have worked at the same auto parts store for 19 yrs now. We are an independant store that competes with an Autozone, Advance Auto Parts and an O'Reilly store in a town of 25,000 people, so theres never a dull moment at our store.

Before I worked here I worked at another store for 3 yrs that sold farm supplies and a few auto parts. I decided that I needed to get into a store that just sold auto parts, since thats my background.

I went to school and master certified as an Auto Technician but decided that wasnt what I wanted to do. So I did something in the field anyway

Jim

Firefighter in Vegas. Pretty safe in the job security, but have noticed a lot less people coming to gamble their money away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

I was head of the computer programming department for a major company for 10.5 years. After being told to transfer to Philadelphia or lose my job, I chose the latter of the two. I traveled to Philly on a monthly basis and was a fish out of water in the big city. I put my retirement plans into place 15 years early and started Predator University. Now I focus on building predator calls (custom and production) and guiding predator hunters. A simple life, but much, much more stress free.

I heard that layoffs have started at my prior company. I'm sure I would have been on the list.

Tony

Quote:
Firefighter in Vegas. Pretty safe in the job security, but have noticed a lot less people coming to gamble their money away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

You should change your location to show your current residency.

I'm a electrician and I just got lucky. I was put on a project that just started and is going to last for 26 months. Its building a new prison on Fort Leavonworth.

Operating Engineer Local 542 out of Philly. Been with a the same company for 5 years and never missed a day, other than vacation. Work was always plentiful. I took a week unpaid vacation for our last week of archery and they laid me off. I always wanted to hunt that last week but it wasnt as fun knowing I was out of work. Hope things get better. Everyone I talk to is slow

Gabe

Back