Urban Coyotes

In my opinion, coyotes cannot reason. Only conditioned.

To quote Wiley E "Every coyote is an individual and each coyote has a certain level of curiosity and a certain level of caution based on it's previous life's experiences"

Who said coyotes were hard to trap? You just put the trap where their foot is gonna be. LOL

Randy

After reading this thread I am sure of one thing, coyotes are much smarter than humans. and I am the dumbest cause I read this thing end to end.
LOL
Carl

I just got off a 10 hour plane ride with a youngster screaming his head off. At first I felt sorry for the boy. Then after about an hour of it, I wonder if I could record these extremely high pitched sounds with my laptop mic…bad taste. I thought better of it.
Oh flight attendant I’ll have another beer please….
Then I found myself becoming very agitated…..and lastly I wondered if sometimes a coyote comes to a call because they have heard all the screaming they can take….

Is it fall yet.

Lip squeeked one into my neighbors front yard this morning at 4:50am . Let the dog out to pee and heard her making a ruckus. Caught a glimps of something run past the fence. I started lip squeeking and the coyote made a U turn came up into my neighbors front yard and stood on the retaining wall to get a better look at me (50 ft away). I continued to lip squeek and it went back out to the street, as it passed infront of out front block wall, i took a knee and continued to lip squeek. The coyote played peekaboo around the wall for a few more seconds with my dog barking and me standing there in a white under shirt and in my skivies. No camo, no mist, no camera, and no gun. Dang! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

It was still dark out side and was hard to tell. Judging by size, I would say it was probably a YOY and not a pup. But that is strictly a guess.

Thank you for correcting me Rich. It could have been a pup, but I would venture to guess that it was one of last years litter. Again, purely a guess.

Were you wearing camo or laying down your usual cover scent? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW I understood exactly what you meant YOY...Year old Yote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I understood what you meant too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Coyotes own the night, they're a different animal then. I would be very impressed if you did that during the day. I would be VERY impressed if you did it in your neighbors front yard during the day in your skivvies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Guys'
Just throwing my two cents in but, here in the Phoenix metro area just about the only things that are allowed with in city limits is archery. Phoenix allows it,Glendale, Peoria, and Scottsdale. Scottsdale's only provision is a minimum of 400 feet from the houses.
About two ywears ago in norht Phoenix, the was an incident involving a small child outside of a Library that wnet up to a coyote calling "doggie, doggie". The Yote went up to the child to see what was in his hand and finding nothing, the Coyote bit him. A metro Unit Manager for Arizona Game and Fish knew I was a predator hunter and an archer. While looking around the area I found numerous home owners were putting out both food and water out for the "wildlife". I di take out about a half dozen, and yes my experience tells me they are very easy to call in. Especially if you have and attractor out in front. I also sit up on a ladder which ddoes keep me out of their direct line of sight.
I realize that I have a unique situation where I live, but if you are willing to do some homework it can all be very rewarding, as well as helpful.
The main thing that needs to be stressed is educating home owners as to what they are doing and how it is creating a myriad of problems.
Itis just my experience with the "Urban Coyotes".

Hi Chris, good to see you here. I recognize your sigline from the PVCI site. Talk to Russ Fiel at the next club meeting. He's the WS agent that handles the urban complaints. He has some interesting stories to tell. His opinion differs from yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I live in a wooded area. I have a three year old child. I understand that animals are opportunists. A small child is the same as a calf, duckling, etc.
Two years ago I was holding my son when he was months old. It was the middle of the day. I spotted a wolf coming through the woods. It never saw me till it was 15 feet away. I stood up and it took off running. That could have been different if there were two or three wolves. Last year I was working with my dog in the backyard. I heard some leaves rustling, but I didn't see anything. The dog didnt care. I got spooked and went inside. Just as I went inside the neighbor called and said he spotted a bear headed towards my house. What would have happened if my son was outside by himself?

Animals get scared of people when the people want to put a bullet in them. I pray nothing ever happens like that to my son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
All critters attack people, How is it that by calling and not killing coyotes acerbate there attacks?
you saying they get used to being around people that call them and don't shoot them makes them more fearless around people witch will lead them to forget there instincts and fear of people.
i don't see it .

I guess I am saying that. Could urban coyotes learn that calling has no adverse affect on them? Another step in the evolution of losing their fear of humans? I’m not saying that they will be tamed, just less leery. Their comfort zone will shrink.

Quote:
I wondered if sometimes a coyote comes to a call because they have heard all the screaming they can take….

I suppose I could believe that. I watched a hound dog laying on a porch once while I was surveying. There was a mop dog yapping on the sidewalk. After about 10 minutes of yapping, the hound got up, walked over to the mop dog and just bit it. The yappper shrieked, ran off and the hound returned to the porch. I have heard some say that they have called bear where they appeared more agitated than anything else in an apparent attempt to stop the racket.

I was a little shocked reading that this is mindless to do about nothing regarding a hypothetical attack resulting in a death. So does this mean that it isn’t a problem until AFTER it happens? It doesn’t matter whether people are stupid or not. That’s a given.

I read with amazement about the thinking process of a coyote as well. That was a sad story about the coyote that became a vegan because he just gave up when hearing screams. Smart? Or is it conditioned behavior? LOL

I believe that anything you do when tricking a coyote has an effect. Would the positive reinforcement be considered NOT shooting?

First of all coyotes are lured to a specific area by their noses, by sight and by sound. If calling brings them in and they get no biscuit, what happens? It’s been said that coyotes come to your calling location to investigate even after you leave, as long as 7 hours after you leave if I remember it correctly. If that’s true then the effect that happens is that coyotes hang around. They may just happen to discover a new supper source while they are lingering too. Feeding is feeding whether the coyote scores or not.

Lots of questions. Lots to learn.

Yrs ago, My Inlaws, wife, Son & I went to a scenic park out in the middle of the countryside. To do a little fishing & feed the domestic waterfowl. There was a small lake, and some ducks & geese milling about. MIL, & our son[who was a toddler] @ the time, were feeding the ducks & geese, chunks of bread.

The bread soon ran out. MIL, thought it funny to pretend to feed the ducks & geese, after the bread was gone. The ducks & geese, soon became agitated et attacked her. Chasing her, pecking her, flapping & squaking. They ran her a top of a park bench, still attacking. I shoo'd them away. Conditioned.

I put coyotes far above ducks & geese anyday.

WOW!
Same thing happened to my daughter. After the popcorn was gone, she had one piece left and put it in her mouth. A gander went after it. I had to run interference. My daughter hates ducks of all kinds to this day.

Back