Urban Coyotes

Quote:

rprince, calling with reprisal has an affect if I am reading you correct. So would calling with no reprisal have any effect?

Jay, thats hard to answer. How many times have you heard someone say "I called up a coyote this weekend & he got downwind before I could get a shot, when can I call that coyote again"?

Some people will say that the coyote will not respond to that sound again while others will say that he will respond IF he wasn't shot at.

I'm sure every coyote is different. But generally speaking, if a coyote is called in & receives some sort of reprisal this should strengthen his fear of humans, rural or urban.

Good post.

Quote:
Coyotes in my hunt area, open rolling cropland. Won't be called onto your lap or even close . But come darkness, they will come into the farm yard & snatch up a cat. Or pile onto the farmer's dog. Especially, if the coyote are pr'd-up or grouped up in a pack.

+1 on that Kirby. Sounds like your area is similar to ours. Although there are some areas here that are still pretty easy calling (especially this time of year) I would like to see the little show go on the road to some real life calling areas outside OZ, like out East or even up here in Western WA. A caller would get full on humble pie.

Calling urban coyotes and getting a reaction this time of year from a coyote decoy isn't surprising in the least. In fact, it is what would be expected. I would be surprised if one didn't get that reaction. Most noobs even know that the next couple months is the easiest calling of the year and the prime time to get territorial responses and multiples called. Nothing big. The most impressive thing is someone suffering through the heat to do it! lol! Excellent photos none the less.

As for the subject at hand, there isn't a doubt in my mind that calling and not killing tame coyotes will only make them bolder and more of a problem. As mentioned, these urban coyotes are a different critter than their wild cousins. We are seeing it more and more here. Coyotes trotting down the street in some towns/cities as cars drive by This in contrast to the typical rural coyotes that sprint if you tap your brakes or are simply nocturnal. I would agree that playing with these tame urban coyotes and not killing them is close to the same as feeding them. They are going to be conditioned to not fear human scent and activity and logically their boldness can only increase.

Good hunting

Quote:
Question:
Does the calling of urban coyotes acerbate a growing problem between human and coyote encounters much like the feeding of coyotes?

NO

encroachment of civilization into coyote habitat is what makes a thing like your dramatization happen.

Quote:
An overly bold coyote was seen several times near a grade school playground

I have wondered is it aggression or curiosity that brings coyotes to playgrounds.
the same way I wonder is it always hunger that bring coyotes to a call.
Quote:
Experts believe that a tragedy like this was inevitable because over time it has been demonstrated that coyotes have been losing their fear of humans.

I dont think it the caller's doing this , it's the fee hand out given to mr. coyote by uneducated people , uneducated in the way of wild life
Quote:
repeated attempts by game officials failed to elicit any response from any of the several coyotes

well i would have the game officials in your dramatization give Rich and Tyler a call or get a bandit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I feel the amount of encounters that go bad and the amount of encounters that don't are so far apart that the question ((do caller of urban coyotes acerbate bad encounters))) carry's no Waite .

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Quote:

They are indeed becoming bolder...

They are adapting to the world. That's why the coyote has been so successful in survival on this planet.
They adapt easily to the environment they are placed in.

Well, yea. Coyotes have always been 'bold', 'sly' or 'wiley'. A coyote is a coyote. They have always lived in and among the fringes of human population. Human populations provide food, wether it is sources of prey species(rodents to poodles) or scraps and other animal feeds.

The question is weather calling these coyotes 'acerbates' the problem. How could it? They already exist here and are conditioned to live in constant contact with humans. And if it did, how could you measure and proove it?

Quote:
The ADC people are already having unique problems to deal with as proof of this thriving.

If the coyotes are easily killed(trapped, called or just shot) than they arent really a problem. So all problems are kinda unique. This is the reasoning behind real ADC.

A coyote attacking some school yard kid, is so far off my radar screen of concerns, it's inconsequential. There must be literally, a thousand things that would raise my level of concern for a kid in school other than a coyote running up and biting him/her.
I would suspect there have/will be more injuries/deaths with pencils,soccer balls,bicycles,loose shoe strings,paper cuts,lightning hits in the school yard, and many more I could fill in but won't.
If your the worrying kind, there are a ton of things to wring your hands over concerning your child at school or playing outside in the neighborhood, but coyotes ain't one of them.

Is it that coyotes are "bolder' or is it that the ratio of chances to see coyotes increases due to more human population spending more time in the more limited range of coyotes. Which I guess could relate to more coyote 'incidents'.

Carl

Consider this.
A coyote is perfectly content and all needs are met living outside of town. He has a natural fear of humans and has no reason to search out needs in closer contact to civilization in most situations. He is not naturally drawn to something he fears. He hears an easy meal and reacts to their calls. At some point he either realizes he's been fooled or loses interest in the imidiate area and continues searching for a meal out of couriosity due to no negative impact. At best you have taught him that there are no real consequeces for checking that sound out therefore losing fear or the initial draw of his coriousity has led him to further investigate finding food left out for (Phideaux), raiding the local McDonald's dumpster or even picking up fluffy. Any interaction calling coyotes IMO without killing it has no choice but to acerbate the problem.

When will the acerbating begin?? we been calling them for thousands of years, and every one knows we call in way more then get killed..

how many deaths by coyote has there been , on children or adults????

unprovoked one that is?????

please when it going to start...

Is bad encounters with critters being acerbated by hunting in general ?

last sentience edited by George for stupidity

Last edited:
Quote:
and every one knows we call in way more then get killed..

George,
What do you mean? Are you saying that we call in coyotes that we never see, or calling coyotes that get away? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

the first couple video didn't work for me .

the ones that did ,they didn't show me anything i didn't already state,

don't feed them they wont bite you..
if Seattle stops trapping and move in to Mr. coyote yard bad encounters will happen

I am getting the sense you ether didn't read the reply's above or didn't watch each the videos you posted ..

everything that was said was do to people ether moving in or coyote habitat or people feeding them ,,

nothing about callers.

look up how many aquirrel attacks there are ,,
Am i habituating them every time i use my squirrel distress call and don't shoot a squirrel

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/jul/02/squirrel_attacks_boy_mother/?city_local

the fact is calling and not killing coyotes don't have anything to do with attacks

Last edited:
Quote:
George,
What do you mean? Are you saying that we call in coyotes that we never see, or calling coyotes that get away?

Same same , if we call them in and never see them then they got away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
yes we as callers, call in more coyote that we never see then we ever shoot .

well us in the east and anywhere there is some sort of brush call in more then we think we did

Last edited:
Well I guess fox has not covered that story yet. I simply addressed your unprovoked question. It's simple as Pavlov's Theory though. Once a coyote associates a sound with food when he hears the sound he salivates and is attracted to it. Same as he does 20 miles in the middle of nowhere. Does it add to the problem. Same as leaving out food for pets, etc. IMO it seems to reason.

hay Rod , if you feel that my post was little harsh ,I apologize for that pal , that was not my intentions.
I was just trying to understand how some could feel that by not killing a called in dog it would lead to it (the coyote) being more comfortable with people that it would consider that it was comfortable enough to attack
as if we where a food source .
as for the last sentience in the reply well it was aimed at the thread not you pal , sometimes I type like if I was talking to everyone in person.

again sorry if i typed faster then i think , witch are both slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

George

Quote:
A coyote attacking some school yard kid, is so far off my radar screen of concerns, it's inconsequential. There must be literally, a thousand things that would raise my level of concern for a kid in school other than a coyote running up and biting him/her.
I would suspect there have/will be more injuries/deaths with pencils,soccer balls,bicycles,loose shoe strings,paper cuts,lightning hits in the school yard, and many more I could fill in but won't.
If your the worrying kind, there are a ton of things to wring your hands over concerning your child at school or playing outside in the neighborhood, but coyotes ain't one of them.

That may be, but this is a predator hunting board, not Walmart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif we discuss predators mostly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry George I can't follow your logic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Jay, as usual excellent topic for discussion. I've always said the urban coyote is for the virtual hunter. Like the survivor series it has little to do with reality.

It's simply a fact of life or death, that if you call coyotes in or very near an urban area, they won't get killed. Nasty bylaws regarding the discharge of firearms get in the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Are city coyotes easier to call? No question.
It has been exposed to different stimuli in his day to day life, and not many of them present a serious threat.
And before anyone gets their panties in a twist. I have called, trapped and killed plenty of both urban and wild coyotes in my short but fun filled life.

An urban coyote can be "trained" for lack of a better word.
By trained I mean conditioned to react to a certain set of stimuli. alter the situaion and the "retraining" starts.

In other words, call a coyote and present a reward, or at least engage him in "conversation" with no bad consequence, he will continue to play until he loses his curiosity. the skill of the caller plays a large role in this game.

I think Jay is on the money. We have coyote attacks every year in Alberta. Not in the wild, but in the cities. Only bad coyotes live in the city?

It isn't that calling in itself turns a docile animal into a killer, but it certainly builds their confidence and comfort level when they are stimulated and nothing negative happens. I know it works for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go to petting zoo. Give a kid a bag of popcorn and watch what happens when the little goat realizes their ain't no more popcorn. Why do you think they have "Don't Feed the Bears" signs in parks.
Coyote is a predator. If he is made to feel comfortable in his surroundings, he will expand his options on territory , food or social status. He can adapt from the beach to the alpine.

I'm not saying it is an epidemic, and I'm pretty sure there isn't an Al Quaeda camp somewhere that is training coyotes to kill kids. But I also know if you took the homey out of the big city and put him in my part of the country, he wouldn't be a threat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He would be dealt with.

Those people that try to make pets or at least socialize wild animals bear soem responsibility when the SHTF.

Calling without consequences is one of the factors that leads to socializing coyotes. How big a factor I guess depends on whether it is your kid or not that gets bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

soon a child will die. the last several year's they have dragged a couple kid's by the head. two year's ago in kirkland by seattle it happened twice. so far there have been parent's close enough. every week it's coyote's ,bear or cougar problem's. i dont think it is a good idea to do all your calling in the city. and filming anyone can do that in the city. doesnt make the caller any better.. i dont think it help's. i think the coyote's hear a distress it will make some come in easier to a baby crying. just like feeding them it's conditioning them. we have a serios problem up here in Washington with predator's. Rick

Back