Ralph Lermayer's "It Is What It Is!" article in Predator Xtreme......

Rusty,

A word of friendly advice. Just let your little bayou story drop. Boudreaux and Perilloux are cajun names. The cajuns live in south Louisiana. So anyone reading your little story would make that assumption. Really. Just drop it. With every post about the bayou you look more and more ignorant.

You know I'm sure deer hunting has changed a lot in Texas. Depending on their point of view, some people might argue that some of that change has been for the better. A lot of small Texas towns reap the economic benefits associated with an influx of deer hunters every year. Lighten up. Things change. Life goes on. I'm sure we will all be hunting predators for years to come.

My point still stands, Rusty. People see cajun names, they assume you're talking about south LA, which is where most of the cajuns are. But this is just getting ridiculous and off track.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Just thinking out loud here.

IF'n I was just an average everyday working stiff that had earned some vacation and wanted to use some of it hunting predators in Texas, I sure wouldn't want to waste 2 or 3 days, or even 1 for that matter, trying to find land owners/get permission. I want to spend my hard earned time off hunting, calling, killing predators. I can certainly see where these guys are coming from.

I'd pay. I'd hunt. I'd hopefully have a good time and kill lots of predators. I'd go home happy. It is what it is.

Is there a difference in a hunter paying a landowner to hunt predators on a property, and someone who has gotten free access to hunt that property who then takes out someone to hunt and charges the hunter?

Man what a trainwreck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am fine with that as long as people are still reading this. At least a few people might gain some knowledge about our situtation(I say "our" meaning predator hunters).

fitz,

You have had two people tell stories of successful trips to Texas that came away with free access, and both gained large amounts of land. I know you are not starting a business as Tony was, but he used the same tactics that any average joe would. Randy and Q, however, do not have a business asside the profits from skinning critters, and they where able to get land, once again for free. To this simple Texas boy I would say that is 2 for 2, is that 100% success from people who put in a little legwork? Maybe lets start a new "call for anwsers" here. Anyone who has come to Texas, spent a couple days actually trying to get free access to land, and come up empty handed please tell us your story. Sound reasonable?

You spending two days of this years vacation will save you thousands of dollars in the long run. Who doesnt want to save money? Not everything is easy, but anything worth wild is worth a little effort. It will give you a sense of accomplishment and benifit you, and everyone else in the long run.

Weas,

Man I cant believe you finally got your hug! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif(should have taken pics!)
George is really a very nice guy, he just doesnt come across as the same guy through the keyboard. We were able to spend some time with George and Weas at Foxpro on our PA hunt. I did find it kinda strange that George was bashing us for not killing a Turkey in PA, when he couldnt produce one in his own back yard? Granted it was a horrible weekend, wind, rain, and cold, but, I really didnt expect that from him. These dang computer monitors can do strange things to people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I actually had a father and son stalk me while calling in PA! We had a Gobbler working and heard something from behind us. I looked behind me to see them sneaking up on me. PA is definately different than Texas in that regard. There where 2 vehicles parked where we parked to head to the same cover to hunt Turkeys, in Texas we would go someplace else, but in PA that is normal. We never called for Predators though, maybe we should have, cause the Turkeys shure eluded us! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guys I realise you may not understand the situation here in TX, but, I think paying for predator hunting access is a bad thing all throughout the US. Lets move this to Kansas, Nevada, Montana, anywhere you can think of, Paying for access is a bad thing!

Rusty,

Your family is from LA! Man I read you wrong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Cant say too much, my family came to Texas from Arkansas during the depression. Didnt have a Bayou though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Take care,

Todd

Quote:
Is there a difference in a hunter paying a landowner to hunt predators on a property, and someone who has gotten free access to hunt that property who then takes out someone to hunt and charges the hunter?

No. But some people need to tell themselves there is before they climb up on their high horse and tell people who do pay for access that they are ruining the sport.

Todd,

Two people responding on a forum with thousands of members hardly qualifies as a resounding answer as to whether or not a guy with 4 or 5 days to hunt can expect to gain access within that time frame. In fact, the lack of further responses is a pretty good indication that I'm right. And let's look at the two guys who did respond. While I appreciate them taking the time to respond, one guy suggested that I might have to let the rancher and his friends do most of the shooting some nights, put on barbecues for the surrounding ranches, and take on ranch hand duties. Remember, I'm just a guy looking to use some of his limited vacation time to do a little predator hunting with his sons. I can't spend weeks at a time down in Texas as Mr. Shaw can, so while I appreciate his response, it doesn't really speak to my situation. Same thing with Tony. He's establishing a business. He's got to spend time searching for access or his business won't get off the ground. Once again, I'm just a guy on vacation, so that's the kind of response I'm looking for. Guys who go to Texas for a few days at a time, gain access to land, and still have plenty of time to hunt. If it's as easy as you guys say it is, and there's as many guys doing it as you say there are, I'm sure I'll get some more responses that fit the particulars of my situation.

Best to everyone. I'll keep my eyes open for further tips on gaining quick access, but I'm through beating this dead horse.

fitz...I don't think anyone is riding a high horse in this discussion. Here's how it works.

I have lived my whole life in the country. You know all your neighbors for miles in every direction.Years ago, it was an insult to ask a neighbor to go hunting. You respected their ground and went wherever you pleased. Killed what you wanted and dropped off an occasional mess of quail or squirrels.

Not the same nowadays. These same farmers have now leased all their ground for deer hunting. Thank goodness I don't hunt deer, but if I did, almost all would be off limits now. Hunting clubs were formed and huge tracts of ground are now leased. Also, individuals from the city have banded together, pooled their money, and leased even more ground. City folks are giving 1000-1200 dollars an acre to buy brush so they can hunt. Nonresident landowners who could care less if their fences are in good shape. When the time comes that these leases keep me off for coyote hunting...I will move.

I can see predator hunting heading in the same direction. The marketing of camo,scents,decoys,and just about anything associated with deer hunting, is now being applied to predator hunting. Even the suggestion of a two-point coyote to make coyote hunting something more than it is.Just about anything to make it look more glamorous and generate more dollars.

Unlike deer hunting, there is no glory in coyote hunting. All coyotes look pretty much the same and a hunters only self gratification is in the numbers he kills. The lack of glory could be the only thing that keeps predator hunting from heading down the same path as deer have taken us.

Randy

Mr.Shaw.What caused the change from the old ways of hunting wherever without permission to lease hunting. That's quite a leap. What brought about the change?

The old ways occured over 35 years ago. The leasing started here about 10 years ago on a small scale and now has escalated into what I have described. I have no animosity towards the resident landowners in my area because of it.

What brought about the change??? Money.

Everyone wants to kill a monster buck and be in the record book. They are willing to spend a large sum of money to accomplish this. People are selling sheds and whole heads for big bucks. Deer are shot after dark and only the head taken to be sold later. The glory and the horns now have significant value.

Randy

Quote:
George is really a very nice guy, he just doesnt come across as the same guy through the keyboard. We were able to spend some time with George and Weas at Foxpro on our PA hunt. I did find it kinda strange that George was bashing us for not killing a Turkey in PA, when he couldnt produce one in his own back yard? Granted it was a horrible weekend, wind, rain, and cold, but, I really didnt expect that from him.

I gotta add this......George did call up turkeys. He put 4 legal birds in front of me despite the horrible conditions. I was the one that didn't seal the deal. This was my first turkey hunt ever. If he was hunting with an experienced turkey hunter we would have filled our tags. After I went home he took other guys that did kill the turkeys that he called. I used to have a preconceived notion about "city" folks. Not any more. George is the real deal. Besides that, he is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He's knowledgeable and a lot of fun to hunt and hang out with.

I dont think predator hunting will ever be as big as deer hunting simply because they dont have antlers to score and you dont eat the meat, as Randy said above. I think it will probably remain a nich of hunting so I think some of these guys are getting way too bent out of shape over this issue. Now, I could very well be wrong about this, I got hooked 2 years ago and predator hunting is more exciting to me than big game hunting(and I LOVE big game hunting) so Rusty may be right on this one, but I hope he isn't!!!!

Quote:
The old ways occured over 35 years ago. The leasing started here about 10 years ago on a small scale and now has escalated into what I have described. I have no animosity towards the resident landowners in my area because of it.

What brought about the change??? Money.

Everyone wants to kill a monster buck and be in the record book. They are willing to spend a large sum of money to accomplish this. People are selling sheds and whole heads for big bucks. Deer are shot after dark and only the head taken to be sold later. The glory and the horns now have significant value.

Randy

So was it the landowners who started to require a lease fee?

or just some deer hunter saying "I'll pay to hunt your land?"

Back