Ralph Lermayer's "It Is What It Is!" article in Predator Xtreme......

You are all right in why you think the way you do. I happen to live where the open land is not even a problem at all so I don't honestly have a clue as to what it would be like where the situation is just the reverse of what I enjoy.
But , money will always prevail and those that got it are going to enjoy it and I sure don't blame them one bit. I would if I could..Walt

I bet a fee schedule is coming for the BLM and other federal and state lands. When the landowner charges so will the government, the management in government agencies are also strapped for funding, where do you think they will be going for it. A lot easier to convince Congress to charge the hunter trespass fees than ask for a few million dollars on funding.

Who do you think gets the best access to a ranch: the guy from out of state that pays for a week or two, the kid from town who spent all summer helping the rancher set up new stock-tanks, or the college boy dating the ranchers daughter?
Moneys money, but that aint everything.
And look at other countries, if an animal/natural resource doesn't have monitary worth it dissapears. Just a product of overpopulation.

Quote:
I bet a fee schedule is coming for the BLM and other federal and state lands. When the landowner charges so will the government, the management in government agencies are also strapped for funding, where do you think they will be going for it. A lot easier to convince Congress to charge the hunter trespass fees than ask for a few million dollars on funding.

The National Forests are already charging. What really chaps me about that it that only the hunters have to pay. If you are hiking, bird watching or anything other than hunting, you don't have to pay.

I kill hogs as I come across them... thats what I have to do around here to keep my hunting ground.

I have to ask round here as it is all privite.

IMG_0714.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Agreed....anyone who pays is screwing things up and that's why I haven't nor will I EVER pay a dime to lease the predator hunting rights from a single landowner.

Take care,

Rusty

Just want to make sure I have this right. But its okay to pay a guide because you are paying for his services? Is that right? But the guide most likely already has a lease with the landowner I would assume? So in a sense, people are already paying landowners in Texas to hunt predators, right? At least I would assume that Texas landowners are smart enough to charge a guide a fee for the right to take other people hunting on their land. If not, that baffles me.

So what is the difference between that and what Fritz has been talking about Rusty? I am also curious. Why on Gods green earth would it be any different than people from Texas coming up here to Wyoming and paying Ranchers to hunt Antelope, Deer and Elk? Do you think for one minute that doesnt set a presidence for us locals gaining access to land to hunt? I could have all the people skills on the planet but what landowner is going to let me harvest a bull elk off his property that some out of state hunter (Texas or not) is willing to pay $1000.00 for?

Your fooling yourself if you think this is anything new. This has been going on for a long time. Its just now, you can substitute predator in the place of Deer, Antelope, Elk or whatever people pursue. Obviously you feel threatened that for some folks its more economical and a smarter use of their time to simply pay for access. While that may not be my cup of tea either I certainly can see where it might be someones best bet. Your concern might be legitimate and then again it might not. Many of us in lots of other states have been dealing with the same stuff since Hector was a pup and we all have survived. I very rarely find myself in a position where I dont have a place to hunt. But, I certainly am not going to get into a pissing contest with someone beccause they want to pay a rancher for access.

By the way George, if you want to hunt Antelope, you dont need to hire a guide. Just send me a PM and I will take care of you.

Hey Rusty,

It's your old buddy Fitz here. I ain't argufying (as Festus would say) with you anymore about the whole access thing----I think we aired that out pretty good. But I do have a question about ranchers letting guides guide on there property for free. And that is------what's in it for the rancher? I know he gets some free predator control, but isn't he opening himself up to a lot of liability if there were, god forbid, to be some kind of an accident. I'm sure guides have there clients sign a release, but is the rancher convered by that? If I was rancher, I don't know if I'd let strangers onto my land to hunt unless I was getting some dough to help defray the cost of the big fat insurance policy I'd want to have. Just curious.

Most states have laws in place to protect a rancher/farmer/landowner from bogus liability claims when they let people on for free. I'm guessing Texas is no different.

However, once they start taking money, they had best have the right kind of insurance in place to cover any accidents. And, anyone who leases land had better insist on seeing a certificate of insurance....

Quote:
HighPlainsDrifter said:

Quote:
But the guide most likely already has a lease with the landowner I would assume?

Nope....not with the folks I've guided with. I'm against any guide that pays, too. Some ranchers might want a "cut", but there are those that don't care. I don't think it's the rancher's fault for asking, but I'm not going to contribute to a trend. I have access to plenty of places where I could guide and not pay the rancher a dime.

I know this isn't anything new in other forms of hunting....I wasn't born yesterday. But I want that trend to be delayed as much as possible....at least in my neck of the woods.

I appreciate your input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Rusty

Well I guess thats the difference between Texas and the Rocky Mountain west. It is unheard of for a guide to work a ranch for any form of hunting without paying the rancher a fee. At least I have never heard of it. Now some guides do operate on public land like on the National Forests, BLM and such.

For what its worth, I thought the article you originally posted about was BS. On the other hand, I can completely understand why hunters like Fritz and George find it easier and in some cases, more economical, to simply pay for access. I also think that doing so is a whole different ball of wax than leasing property like Ralph Lermayer was talking about. Also worth noting, I dont pay to hunt either. Its the principle of the thing for me. But I would never fault someone who does, especially when they are going to places they have never been before and travel many miles to get there.

I didn't read the whole thread, but all I got to say is, Predator Extreme isn't worth the paper it's written on! What a POS rag! Always has been, always will be!

Back