NYS Coyote Hunters

Originally Posted By: LittleTonyNice Dog FreeBM. We are finally getting a little snow here now. I am definitely going out tonight. With being so close to Albany when it is overcast the light pollution radiates down off the clouds and with snow I can see better than if it was a full moon.

Keep up the good work.

Good to see you found the site Tony!

~Matt

nice job little tony. where you hunting i hunt probably close to you. we just got two more coyotes one last night and one saturday night, male and a female. anyway good to see there are more hunters around the area.

RickJames...didn't know you were on here. Awesome. My buddy trapped a male 35# today. Amazing blonde coat, looks like a golden retriever.

Checked my bait setups (roadkill deer with ground blinds nearby). They still haven't hit two of em yet. And they are raging the first one still. Only a matter of time.

rimral,
welcome. 3 Coyotes this week!! Woow that's good. Care to share your techniques with us?

Swamp, trying to bone up for the hunt!!! This year has been difficult for me to say the least. Thought I was going to shoot about 25 at the beginning of the season. LOL But those ideas deteriorated FAST. Still , it's a blast being out there after them. Razor is having a decent season for sure.
Good Luck

Talked to the ECO, he said it was perfectly legal as long as I got a permit to pick up the deer and transport it. So, when I find a carcass on the side of the road, I call, and get the permit to pickup the deer.

I use chicken wire and stakes to keep the carcass where I want it so the dogs can't drag it off.

Another ECO I talked to said kill as many as I can. Appaarently there are less and less trappers and pred hunters around and the numbers for preds are way up there.

Page 16 of the regs guide;

"Baiting—It is illegal to hunt with the aid of bait
or over any baited area when hunting big game,
upland game birds, turkey or waterfowl."

Coyotes, bobcats and foxes are considered small game by NYSDEC.

PARTY ON KnockEMDown!!!

If I could, I will even give you a couple things that have worked for me...

Set the carcass in a creek valley, at the bottom of a Northern slope. That way, there will be a good amount of snow there, and a good backdrop for night hunts. Situate the blind up on the hillside, so all shots, ESPECIALLY at NIGHT, will be into the creek bottom. Also, if there is a North wind, it will blow above you and over to the other ridge.

I collected up 4 discarded christmas trees and put them in front of where I set up my blind. I left them there for a week. Then set up my blind behind them. This adds shadows and breaks up the blind, by giving it a week, it lets the animals get used to it. Nothing worse than a red squirrel squaking at a new blind.

I put the carcass out last, that way the dogs were already used to the blind.

Well, I hope this helps, it has for me so far. I've seen 6 different dogs so far, only shot 1, but I still got time.

Good luck...and if anybody sees something I should do different please SPEAK UP...as I am a greenhorn too!!!

P.S. Not a lot of people like baiting because ya never know when the dogs will come in. A good trail cam works wonders. But I myself am a partial insomniac at times and I can pass 6 hours at a time at night in a ground blind no problem. A little snooze here and there and I am all good. Nothing like waking up to the sound of bones crunching.

thanks freebm. we have been hunting coyotes since 2002. we arent pros but we do well. our main setups are bait piles, but i have shot coyote and fox by calling. we get all our roadkill legally through the state boys(thanks fellas). when we get a roadkill we use a dog chain around the neck and hook it to atree. we try to make sure there is some cover so they are comfortable coming in. we sit and wait and if no action i will try and coax them in with a pete rickard rabbit squeeler. so far this season 8 coyotes an two fox. just last night we had 5 different dogs come in with two misses(dark as [beeep] last night). we had a total of 5 misses. our bait piles have been established for a while now. any questions let me know. kill em all

the way i look at it is take them anyway you can. i have shot coyotes by calling and by bait. hunting over a bait pile is a good way to get a new hunter into the game.

KnockemDown...thanks, I appreciate the info. I agree, that there is more "hunting" involved in calling in the predator, and "convincing" it into coming within range. I, being new at this, lack those skills for now.

Having gone to school for Wildlife Management, to me, the most intimate and best way for me to learn about an animal is to watch it. Whether it be a deer, turkey, squirrel, bird or coyote, the best way to get into an animals head is to watch it and observe.

My sits in the blind overlooking the "rotting carcass" allows me to do several things all at once. This isn't just a "sit and shoot" escapade. I am learning how the dogs come into an area they know is food, what they do when they first come across it, how they interact with each other and also how they react to the smell of other dogs nearby. I can also see what the quality of the dogs in the area is and how many dogs the area might be able to support. I doubt you can learn all that from calling to them, every dog won't come to a call. BUT every dog has to eat. If I am wrong, please contact me, take me on some sets and prove me wrong...I would love it.

I am not saying I don't call, I do, on different sets with no bait and whatnot. But I am not successful. On the baitset if they think they are "alone" they will act undisturbed and will react with their environment and not with me. I can also come up with theories and hypothesis for what the dogs will do when I do "X" or what will happen if they hear/smell/see "Y". It is pretty cool and allows me a small window into a world that I am totally alien to.

Have I passed up shots on dogs. Yes. There is a pack of three with an Alpha male that is pretty [beeep] big. I passed up the shot because I wanna see more of him and see how he interacts with the other dogs in the area. I also would rather have the dominant pack stay, and pick off the loners who are coming into the area from other acres. Why??? I am not sure, but from a management standpoint I think it would benefit my property to keep a couple dogs there, and healthy ones at that. Also seems to me, that keeping the local dogs healthy with a "Free" meal ain't such a bad idea either. I plant and maintain food plots for deer and turkeys and don't shoot everyone that walks out to feed. I simply observe and watch them interact.

Obviously I deer hunt and turkey hunt as well and am trying to figure out what is the best management strategy I can have to incorporate all things, so that the circle is complete. I also understand that overmanagement is worse than no managment at all.

So, I know this was a long reply, but I just want you to know that I am filling my knowledge resevoirs on what is happening in the natural world around me as I sit, hour after COLD hour, staring at a rotting carcass. Should I see an animal that I want to take, I will respectfully take the animal and thank it for its sacrifice. Knowing that not only did it surrender its life to me, it filled my brain cavity with a little more knowledge on the natural world around me.

I just purchased a Foxpro CS24 In the past I used a beat up static sounding grey fox pup in distress tape to bring in the yotes. Now that I have 50 sounds I am not to sure what to do with them all. What sounds are working here in NY? I still have a fox pup but I am sure it sounds nothing like the mess of the old one. That one would call em in when guy with brand new tapes wouldn't. Weird.
thanks

Not a coyote, but I did shoot this grey last nite...

10graydale.jpg

Back