NYS Coyote Hunters

Razorsedge, I am super jealous that you got state land that you can hunt on by you. I have 3,000 acres of Highland Lakes State park right across the road from me that doesn't allow hunting. Which is stupid because it is 3,000 acres of undeveloped woods, that no one uses except stupid horse people during the summer time.

Thanks! Its .260 Rem.

I also have a full custom SKS that I built years ago, so I will probably be converting that to be used for night hunts. The scope on the Encore just isnt good for night time. The SKS is a ton less expensive to shoot as well. I just need 5 round clips and a new stock, Im not really happy with the one thats on it.

SKS1.jpg

Last edited:
NY yote hunter, you have 6000 acres in the stewart state land parcel that is in orange county you can hunt along with alot of state land out in Carmel also. There's probaly over 100,000 acres of combines state and dce land to hunt on over here opened to every one it's not just mine so have at it.

Just got in from working outside, and the moon is huge and bright. I was going to wait till the coyote contest to go out and hunt, but with this moon, it being cold, and the fresh snow on the ground it is just way too tempting!!!!

I was thinking of going tonight also! Worked outside all day so i have to get the chill out of me first..... Do u think the wind will be too much? It's blowin 15-20mph gusts still in Norther Ulster, Co.

Another NY Cat. Some of you saw this on the other site but thought I'd share with our NY partners here.
Long read.......
Well I've been whining about my poor luck with the canines, especially the coyotes. And, today was no better. I went to a small piece of public land that has produced for me in the past. I set up my second stand at about 12:30pm. After 40 minutes of nothing I grabbed the caller and headed towards my vehicle. I hadn't gone 40 yards when I saw that a coyote had walked down my tracks and came within 40 yards of me!!! This coyote was standing there watching me while I worked the calls. Then he cut to the left and caught my wind. Game over. The tracks showed that he had walked in my tracks for about 50 yards. Prior to that, he crossed a wide open field. All of this in the middle of the day. Needless to say I was very depressed. I came home and vowed to quit hunting.
After doing the house chores, the misses granted me one last time to prove my worth as a hunter. So, off to the woods I went. It was about 5:20pm when I settled into my stand. The wind was slight cross breeze hitting the right front of my face. I was only about 150 yards off the rural road. I was hopeful as this area was littered with coyote tracks and I had heard them howling here from across the valley a few days ago.
My location was at the base of a big hill with a swamp behind me, a thick pine stand to my left and briars and scrub brush making up the remaining close brush. The hillside was mature hard woods with ledges running through it. I set the FoxPro out front and slightly to the right at about 30 yards. I got settled in and waited 5 minutes. I hit the high pitched snow shoe hare on the FoxPro at very low volume. After 5 minutes, I wailed loudly on one of my new calls. After 90 seconds of blowing I let up. I did this 3 times during my 40 minute sit. Just as I finishing my 3rd set on the mouth call, I thought I heard a branch snap off to my left. I strained to hear it again but nothing. About 2-3 minutes passed and I thought I saw something in the brush. I didn't have a light as I was depending on the full-moon to illuminate the night.
I was straining so hard to see, that my eyes began to water. Just then a bush moved! The whole thing! And like magic he was there. He was moving so slow I thought I was hallucinating. But, as he continued his left to right stalking my eyes began to focus better. Then as if someone turned the lights on, I could clearly see the big tom. The shotgun was up and on him smoothly and silently. As he eased towards the faint sound of the FoxPro, I squeezed the trigger. No thrashing or snarling. When I approached him my jaw dropped. I'm sure there're bigger but I'll take him.
Thanks for bearing with me.
2010Bobcat5.jpg

2010Bobcat1.jpg

2010Bobcat6.jpg

2010Bobcat4.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Big Cat, Congrats!

I did 6 stands from 4-7pm and covered a lot of land w/atv. Saw tons of tracks but nothing showed! Definitely cold tonight with some very numb fingers.....

freebm - congrats on a nice cat and a good hunt! What size shot you using in your scattergun?

I went out tonight from half an hour before sunset until about 8 PM. Track soup for dinner tonight - never heard or saw a thing! Heading out to one of my favorite spots out north of Syracuse for the next two nights now that a big warm up is coming.

Thanks guys.
I use the stardard #4 buck. Saw that I had included two of the same pics. Changed out the last one and put a new one in.
Good Hunting and stay warm.

Nice cat freebm!!!!!! You never know what that last quick stand that everyone passes up will produce.
Bhw, Nice to see that you connected on one after all the foxes. Looks like a decent size dog at that.

Dang,
After the WNYS hunt I hope there's a coyote or two left!! LOL
Fred, great goings man. You're on a roll. I can feel the karma coming my way. Any stand now it's gonna bust wide open.I gotta get that "garbage can" sound on the FP.
Looks like they're fallen in all corners of the State! Now let me get one from the interior and we'll have it covered.
Good Hunting

Man That's a huge cat!..what a great hunt! knock'em good going , you're slaughtering them ! did you put that dog on the scale ?

I had an eventful day myself . missed a red at 15yds 12:eek:o noon .. Than got busted by a yote on the next set . came to within twenty yards of me . I spotted it at fifty As it was slipping away . took some hair off it at eighty as it was cresting a rock wall..No blood
A dissapointing day on the whole . But some good action . going out for a few night sets hope to add a couple pics tonight.

Hey all.
just wanted to drop in and say hello.
New to the forum.
i live in the city but hunt alot in deleware/Ulster and scholhaire counties.
been thinking of trying to get up into Sterling forest a few days soon.

finally got my hands on a Foxpro Fury.
Fri. night was up in margaretville under a full moon and cold temps.. had the fox pro out for 10 minutes with cotton tail distress sets of 3 min on 2 min off and before i could blink my eye a hoss of a coyote appeared about 120 yards out..
Nice sight over the white snow and bright moon....

needless to say.. 5 shots later all i had was a tiny droplet of blood and a pinch of hair..

Yup.. i got too excited and missed..

After the first shot, he did go down... but only for a second.. no blood trail after that , just two drops and some piss in the snow..

Another Coyote Educated.

Coyote 1 Me 0

Back