NYS Coyote Hunters

2/15

10graylast.jpg

45 minutes later, same farm...

10fpcoy2.jpg

How many of you guys are hunting the Sullivan Co. hunt this weekend?

Good Luck to you all....but, I plan on bringing in >>>>>>> Coyote-zilla!!! LOL

I'll be in it to win it ! hopefully one of us takes it and not some first timer with $ signs running through their head . I'll be at the dinner also, we should try to get there a little early get a group table . That place gets cramped if your on time or late ! ..Anyone have a figure on how many are participating ?

Thats right Perri we are going to bring that "60 lber" that you have been saving all season...
w00t.gif

Swamp hopefully we get a chance to meet up on Sunday..

NY Yote

Nice Grey Andrew! I shot one also @5:45pm 2/15.....

Tonight i educated a nice coyote. I was set up with cross wind and the yote came in and crossed down wind at 60y then caught my wind before i had a clear shot with the Mossburg. I should have let him go and try to call back but i let a load of #4 go when he was haulin [beeep] outa there! I guess i should not have had the coffee on the way to my spot after leaving work! couldnt hold it and took a #1 30 min into set, the dog came in @ the 50min mark.

I did spray down with sent eliminator and had a deer estrous sent wafer on to mask my odder. Do you think my urine is was spooked it? I have deer hunted for years and not worried about it and hasn't seemed to affect me before as i have harvested deer just after doing a #1.

I know that i will now start my sets and sit at a cross wind but be 30-40 yards on the down wind side of caller and decoy,

I'm in it but I don't think I'll be at the dinner. Good luck to all!!!!
NY there is nothing you can do to mask your scent from a yotes nose. The only thing that helps is to get up in a tree stand.

Thanks Razor. I will give it a go again tonight....with the new set up plan and a rifle.

I was all excited about hunting in the contest but since until 3 days ago had yet to call anything into sight this year so i never sent in my entry. Now in my last 2 sets i have a nice Grey Fox and successful hunt with nearly taking a big yote. Now i am disappointed i'm not in the contest.......

Idk how many people are in the contest but it is probally going to be a huge number. There have been many people who don't even hunt mentioning it to me latly. I guess they have been advertising in the paper alot.

one more coyote down. 32 lb female came in to me around 1130 pm. last night was great after the snow we got could see perfect. as soon as i can pics will be posted.

You should break away from the baiting before you become a full time baiter! There is nothing like calling a dog in...I guess if your just looking to sit around and kill then that will work! I tried it and realized that it wasn't really that tough or challenging to me.

I'm right over in Rotterdam myself..

NY Yote

The hunt is on. Nothing to show for a quick stand this morning. Started with a long lone howl, 5 minute break, then a set of lone howls and another 5 minute break. Did two sets of bunny blues, then took a rest. After that tried one set of LOUD fawn bawls. Another 5, then some pup distress. Looked at the watch and`45 minutes had passed. Ran out the woods and rushed home to get ready for work. Just letting the "big dog" get his belly full before taking him to the weigh.
Coyotes are going to be in serious trouble starting this afternoon!!!
Good Luck Guys

Went out this morning at 3:30 AM to do a few stands before work. No howls back or anything. But it was windy as [beeep] so I don't think my sounds were traveling very far. Just came in for lunch from outside and been dragging a$$ all day. Gotta love the weekend of coyote contest no sleep just hunting! lol Good luck to everyone!!!

I was out starting 4:30 this am. It's been windy, but I did hear some howling in the distance on my first set. Had a coyote, possibly two, come in on my third set in the first few minutes of calling. Unfortunately, it came in through some brush to my left and was only 20 yards when I first heard it. It ran as I tried to get the gun on it and slowed down not that far off, but the brush was way too thick for a shot. I then saw it running again maybe 30 seconds later, but it seemed closer than where I thought it should be, which is why I think there were two. If only I had brought the shotgun as I had originally planned...I only had 50 yard shots at best in the area I was hunting. Turning and getting the crosshairs of the .223 on the coyote just didn't work. I'll be back out in a bit and hitting a few spots, including one location that the coyotes have been frequenting the past few nights.

Good luck out there. Hey Swampwalker - maybe I'll see you at the dinner.

It's still anyones game as only 4 yotes are entered in the contest so far I heard. I didn't have any luck either today, but I thought I did see one roll by or it might have been a tumble weed. It was rolling to fast for me to tell what it was.
lol.gif

Back