Keyholing suddenly! Ahhh! 17Rem...

I'm driving to the range right now. And wouldn't you know, I'm wearing a BLUE shirt! Should I turn around and change outfits or is it too late?

Due to the high interest in this thread, I am opening a Twitter account so I can provide LIVE updates with photos and comments in real time.

Follow me at: ican'thit$#it@DDskeyholing17Rem.
thumbup.gif

It sounds to me like the day to day inconsistency has something to do with how often you clean the bore. common sense tells me that the accuracy is going to be different when shooting from a fouled barrel (I wouldn't consider 5 rounds a fouled barrel) than a sqeaky clean one.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGDue to the high interest in this thread, I am opening a Twitter account so I can provide LIVE updates with photos and comments in real time.

Follow me at: ican'thit$#it@DDskeyholing17Rem.
thumbup.gif

The Link Ain't working
huh.gif

***Breaking Update***

I drove an hour to my regular shooting spot (private property) only to discover the property is not available today (so rare it's only happened twice in 8 years). The closest real shooting range is not open on Tuesdays.

So I am going to have to drive 20 min back into town to get a cardboard box for a target backer, then 45 minutes to the closest public land, then find a spot in the brush where I can shoot 100 yards prone. Then drive 90 minutes home when I'm done...

Nothing has been easy with this rifle, I tell ya.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG***Breaking Update***

I drove an hour to my regular shooting spot (private property) only to discover the property is not available today (so rare it's only happened twice in 8 years). The closest real shooting range is not open on Tuesdays.

So I am going to have to drive 20 min back into town to get a cardboard box for a target backer, then 45 minutes to the closest public land, then find a spot in the brush where I can shoot 100 yards prone. Then drive 90 minutes home when I'm done...

Nothing has been easy with this rifle, I tell ya.

I feel for you. Hope you find good news when all is said and done...Jason

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: 4trapr ...common sense tells me ...

Now your just talking crazy!

Master of the obvious!!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Catshooter,
Didn't mean to get under your fur. CZ warranty free, wrote that after 3 beers. A competent pro a reasonable fee. There, clarified, sorry about that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: coleridge annealing flash holes

I had a bad case of this after eating to many Habenaro pickled redhots .
cry.gif

OUCH!!! That's too funny!

So far for what you've spent in cleaning supplies plus your time and worn out arm, I think I would just screw on a new PAC NOR and call it a day. Then you can change your cleaning regimen again... Once every 200 or 300 rounds!

I never once thought it was anything to do with cleaning, I have never seen a dirty or fouled bore throw Keyholes. Only thing I can see doing this is a shot out barrel or really screwed up muzzle.
I know DD is meticulous about cleaning when it needs done and he knows what a bad muzzle looks like.
I am betting the barrel is just bad. I would send it back to CZ, rebarrel or sell it cheap with the buyer understanding it Keyholes.
I'm betting the throat is toast.

DD, I was hoping that you got the problem fixed. Don't give up!

I'm stubborn and like to fix things myself but by now I would be tempted to find the biggest oak tree around and wrap the 17 cal. around it.

If you send it back to the manufacturer or a competent gunsmith, you could have a "pot". $5 per guess. Each right guess gets a percentage of the pot with a 90 % payback - you get to keep 10 % for your frustration.

I'm thinking out loud here and i"m moving my lips (helps with the concentration). It's obvious that the bullets are not being stabalized properly. Possible problems: fouled bore, worn out bore, bullets undersize, bullets out of round (bad bullets, try another brand/weight/lot #), bullets being pushed to hard & not staying engaged with rifling, wrong bullet for the twist.
FWIW, I've never experienced keyholing but I think that the bore needs to be scoped.

rth1959rth

Originally Posted By: rth1959rthDD, I was hoping that you got the problem fixed. Don't give up!

I'm stubborn and like to fix things myself but by now I would be tempted to find the biggest oak tree around and wrap the 17 cal. around it.

If you send it back to the manufacturer or a competent gunsmith, you could have a "pot". $5 per guess. Each right guess gets a percentage of the pot with a 90 % payback - you get to keep 10 % for your frustration.

I'm like both of you, 'Stubborn" and would be doing just what DD is doing trying to correct it himself, Gunsmith is always my last resort.

I like the $5 Pot idea, I'm in for Bad Throat/Bore.

Back