Keyholing suddenly! Ahhh! 17Rem...

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
See if you can try something with a heavier jacket, or something with more weight, running slower like a 25gr V-Max - and see if the problem goes away... There is spiral evidence even with the slowest loads, not every hole, but here and there. And given the extremely limited selection of 17cal bullets, there isn't much else to choose from that is appropriate for predators. I don't want a rifle that only shoots ONE bullet, because as we've seen in recent months, bullet supplies dry up, manufacturers quit making them, jackets are discontinued, etc.

If the spirals are showing up at lower velocity, then the barrel has problems. There might be fire-cracking in the throat, or God knows what (good luck finding a smith that has a 17 cal borescope
frown.gif
)... but a 17 should not behave like this, and it is obvious that it is clean.
lol.gif

I read the first post, and the last page. That's it. So forgive me if I "reiterate", but I've no inclination to read this whole mess
grin.gif

First things I'd check:

1) RPM (maybe you are right "on the edge" of stabilization. Try pushing it a tad harder (if safe to do)

2) actual (measured) bullet size (bullets could be bad, not gripping the rifling)

3) crown

Pack it up and send it in to CZ for evaluation. Their customer service was excellent the one time that I had to use it. They replace a complete gun because one of their dealers did not package the gun properly for shipping. The dealer left the bolt loose in the box and it banged up the stock and metal on the 452 very bad during transit. (they had problems with this dealer and eventually dropped him).

DISCLAMER The following is purely my speculation. I would think that they would replace the barrel (if that is the problem) at no charge with only 600 rounds down range.

rth1959rth

Originally Posted By: callcrazyazOriginally Posted By: catwhackerPretty sure it's right hand primers in a left hand twist barrel!!!
smile.gif

This is the best answer yet LOL

That right there is what becoming a FOTL prostaff can do for ya!

(pssst.....I heard FOTL was buying out FP)

Seems somewhat odd that you went from this: Basically tumbling every shot.

photo_zpse7a8b194.jpg

To this:
cz002_zps98d0176e.jpg

just through a thorough cleaning. Definitely not great groups but not keyholing anymore. At least not right away.

It may be the barrel? And maybe you want to change it out? A custom barrel will almost certainly remedy your problems at least for a little while...but I've had friends of mine that let their cleaning go a little bit long and had rifles that did pretty much what yours did (a .204 and a .17 Rem keyholing). No amount of Sweets or Wipe Out etc made much a difference until we used some JB paste and concentrated our efforts just in front of the chamber. It seemed to have built up a hard carbon ring area that was a bear to get out. Through a lot of elbow grease we were able to get it shooting again.

Anyway, 2 cents. Hope you get it shooting again. I have the same rifle myself.

[/quote] No amount of Sweets or Wipe Out etc made much a difference until we used some JB paste and concentrated our efforts just in front of the chamber. It seemed to have built up a hard carbon ring area that was a bear to get out. Through a lot of elbow grease we were able to get it shooting again.

Anyway, 2 cents. Hope you get it shooting again. I have the same rifle myself.
[/quote]

Isn't this where we started?

Last edited:
It starts tumbling after about 40 shots fired from a sparkling clean bore. Yes I used JB Bore Paste. Lots of it. Cleaned the heck out of it as outlined. I never let it get very dirty to begin with.

My gun done almost the same thing, it was shot out.put a new pac nor on and it now shoots one holers when I do my part.I moly coat my 17.bullets and my groups stay tight through more shots.

So it appears the universal consensus is that my barrel is toast.

Did I cause it? I tried to let my barrel cool a few minutes between strings of shots, etc, and not let it get too hot. Did I fry my own barrel? Or was it probably a bad barrel from the factory that degraded quickly? Screwed up throat?

Think Larry's sticky in the predator hunting forum takes the gold medal. Going on a quarter million views.

This one however has been very interesting as well.

What I'd do is get whatever new barrel you decide on and send the old one back to CZ with a link to this thread just to see what they come up with for the sake of curiosity.

If it makes you feel any better about all your troubles Dirty Dog I think a member or two incuding myself came away from this with a little more knowledge on trouble shooting.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGSo it appears the universal consensus is that my barrel is toast.

Did I cause it? I tried to let my barrel cool a few minutes between strings of shots, etc, and not let it get too hot. Did I fry my own barrel? Or was it probably a bad barrel from the factory that degraded quickly? Screwed up throat?

Probably a bad barrel from the get go.
Have you thought about sending it back to CZ under warrenty ?

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI know the CZs that I bought came with a 5 year warranty

I am curious if CZ would replace a worn out barrel, which is what I suspect this is? I am guessing not.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI know the CZs that I bought came with a 5 year warranty

I am curious if CZ would replace a worn out barrel, which is what I suspect this is? I am guessing not.

I would agree, I have seen worse, I had a 223wssm that torched a throat in 350rds.

Back