Feds killing to many coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
trapper2 has a very good insight to the current status of coyote hunting. Most of us here do have FULL TIME JOBS and most of us only do this as a living. I know that I can only go out on weekends as mentioned above. My buddy works as a county trapper and he deals with alot more than shooting coyotes from a plane. I wouldn't want to crawl under houses chasing skunks or racoons that are ready to tear your head off. Thanks but NO THANKS, I will show up on the weekend anytime and keep my day job.

We as hunters really need to police ourselves first and foremost. I don't call it hunting when you're riding around in your truck shooting at anything that is on the prairie, GOD forbid that there is a house on the other side of that hill you know. If you see someone or hunt with someone that is doing something wrong or unsafe, please tell them about it. It is not worth living with the regret of not saying anything and then an accident happens. I know that if my kids or hunting buddies were doing something that I thought unsafe, I would mention it to them.

our county trapper takes over 2000 a year.
then the adc guys take out more
i still find more coyotes then i could ever kill.
i can go to a area that has been airial gunned the next day and still get some coyotes.
without the adc and state trappers we wouldn't have nearly the deer and antalope population we do.
i for one would say good job to them.
i have hunted coyotes all these years for predator control its the name of the game, the reason its done.

There are many reputable publications with detailed accounts of a single trapper taking over 2000 coyotes in a season. Just because you don't understand how its possible doesn't mean there are not people doing it.

Wonder how much government hunters are getting paid to shoot coyotes from an airplane? I can see some coyote control but shooting them in areas there are no sheep don't make sense.

I believe I read somewhere that California wildlife biologists used radio collars on some coyotes and that some of them travelled up to 40 miles. So it is pretty reasonable for the government programs to expand the kill area way past land that has livestock on it.

Why don't you give us a source for one of those reputable publications. If he works 365 days a year he has to average
4.8 coyotes a day. And to kill 2000 coyotes in one county, must be a big county.

I would like to see that (2000 killed in a county) in some kind of reputable publication myself. I find that very hard to swallow.

Gotta link to something?

his name is tim fish and yes he kills 2000 a year. the man is a coyote killing machine.
he snares calls and 1080's and arial guns.
if you know so much ask the adc guys here if they know of him or how many they kill a year.
better yet check the natrona county predator board and see if they can give you the exact numbers.
he is good.
In 2007, 2,658 Coyotes Killed in Natrona County
Total Hours of Fly Time: 53.4 * Coyotes Killed: 162 {tim and don cheney pilot}
(1) Full Time Trapper resulted in 1,391 coyotes killed {tim}
helicopter Total Hours of Fly Time: 204.3 * Coyotes Killed: 749
this is right off their website it was
at that time he was the only state trapper now we have two state trappers
google "natrona county predator board" and see for your self.

Last edited:
closedeyes.gif

Last edited:
Tim,

The Feds, or State Trappers, or even the County Trappers use planes and copters to get ADC work done out here. It falls under their job description. In fact more Gov't Trapper's main cause of ion the job deaths is death in crashes while gunning.

The numbers of coyotes killed by air the Casey quoted are about right for our area too, give or take a year.

To address another thing that came up.

You can't just fly or trap the ranch that is being targeted by predators. You have to extend that area to encompass a secure perimeter area beyond that ranch that is having trouble.

That is one very valid reason more and more sheep ranchers are going out of business. In the past, the ranchers that were raising sheep in an area helped each other out by trapping, hunting, etc. This gave themn the secure perimeter needed....Then as more of them go out of business and go to cattle, the secure perimeter gets smaller and smaller, when finally the predators are concentrating on one or two ranches that have all the sheep in the area.

The more you see of this scenario, the harder the ADC guys have to work to control a secure perimeter around who is left.

You generally have more success flying and killing coyotes out of a helicopter, because it's more manueverable.

Cost is around $400-500 per hour of gunning time, the last time I checked.

The best time to fly is when they are paired up, of course. Two for price of one.....usually 2-3 days of flying is needed to control, a targeted area.

Avg, coyotes killed could be from 100-300 coyotes.

i know people think the adc and county and state trappers are cutting into their luck at calling but i really think is is the low end of the coyote 7 year cycle.
they lag the rabbit cylce by two years. that is my number just going buy my experiances.
coyotes population peek two years after the rabbits peak and they bottom out two years after the rabbits die off.
i have hunted coyots for 5 complete cycles.
i don't know everything but i know what i have witnessed and i knew two years ago when the rabbits crashed that there would be less coyotes this year.
think of it this way from this winter on its going to get better.
there are still plenty of coyotes i called in enough to make me happy last saterday.

Quote:Tim,

The Feds, or State Trappers, or even the County Trappers use planes and copters to get ADC work done out here. It falls under their job description. In fact more Gov't Trapper's main cause of ion the job deaths is death in crashes while gunning.

I understand how ADC guys work, i spent time with two of them.. I was just questioning his post, one said county and second post said state. In one of his earlier posts when he quoted numbers i would have questioned him also due to the fact he said trapper.
Now that i know we are talking about state trappers or ADC men then yes those numbers are possable but the trapper needs to work on his aerial game..LOL

smsnyder being from pa i'm sure this whole post doesnt make since to you, its a different world altoghther, i can tell you what they get paid, dam little for the crap they take from some people, and theres alot of hours worked off the clock, and i dont know any of them that dont give up some of their leave because they cant find time to use it

Tim,
The cycles have been pretty much a time proven thing. The coyote numbers do follow the food source. It years of plenty, they will have larger litters. Plenty may mean rabbits, or it could mean a die off of deer and elk in the mountains due to CWD, or something else that increases the coyotes food supply, like crops, or even pinon nuts and mestquite beans.

Then you also have the cycles that adversely affect coyote populations unto itself. Like mange, or parvo. These things also affect the "Cycle" system as well.

It's checks and balances at it's finest.

Barry

wyoming drifter, you wouldnt think it would you, but i have had 4 different ranchers tell me about hunter turning their mills off cause they were running over, so they thought they would help them by shutting them off and saving water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back