Favorite squirrel rifle?

Man this thread made me smile and miss back home. Mine is a stainless steel model 62(I believe Rossi was the maker of it) with wood stained so dark it's almost black. It was my first gun and best teacher. No telling how many bushy tails fell out of the tree after it's barked at them to come down. I almost ruined it being an ignorant kid and tried to talk my dad into drilling the sides for a scope mount because I wanted a fancy scoped .22 like everyone else I hunted with. I'm glad he wouldn't let me do it. It didn't need it then, it still doesn't now and wouldn't have taught me the marksmanship and woodsman ship lessons it has taught me through the years. I went home this last thanksgiving and pulled it out of the safe to go on a hunt with one of my cousins and youngest brother one shot to get reacquainted and adjust my weakening eyesight and the second shot couldn't have punched the 1" round sticky anymore cleanly at 50 yards. The only time the sights have ever been touched was the first time it was sighted in 20 some years ago. I got it because it was the closest thing to a Winchester model 61 my grandpa had I could find. It still reminds me of the time I spent in the woods with him and the lessons I've learned.

Last edited:
I used a Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge. As a youngster I was a strickly a meat hunter, and for squirrels and bunnies, me and my little mongrel dog very seldom came home without something for me to skin out and dress for the table.
I shot most Super X high brass 6s, and didn't waste much on bad shots in those days. I soon learned to not take those close shots as it would ruin the meat with the lead.
Those were the days, we used to smoke some in the smoke house as we had pork in there curing a lot of the time especiall into the late fall and early winter.

Times have changed a lot, but I remember those times oh so well.

Thanks for reading.

Back